Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #1

Howdy from Texas! Photos of bike

Hello new friends! I acquired a '07 200cc Dual Purpose bike w/1,400 miles from a neighbor in exchange for some auto repair I did for him. Sadly I don't know too much about the compatibility of parts. I know my way around motors Until a few months ago I had a SunL 150cc GY6 Scooter, got that one a few years back and it required a new head(bent valve) and hone of the cylinders. Did some moderate modding on it and used as a grocery getter until i recently sold it to a co-worker.

Thus far i have removed the plastics to clean and repair some fried wires, serviced the bearing s and axles, replaced most "important" hardware as i work for Ace Hardware and when its slow I work on my personal projects. Got the old gas out, new premium fuel in, and it started right up with the electric starter.

Once it is warmed up it dies upon idle unless I either pull out the choke, or give it throttle to keep the RPMs above idle. haven't messed with the carb yet.

No idea what parts are swapable with this bike. Or more common bikes I can get new forks/rear shock from as mine is shot and the rear isn't stiff enough.

So fresh and so clean clean! :cool:

All washed and polished...yeah, I did. :wink:

Parts...I need new/used Plastics for the side of the seat, and new.rebuild kit for the Forks. Possibly a stiffer rear shock.

Can anyone point out which engine I have? I would like to pick up some spare parts for the parts bin.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to learning more about my bike and contributing what I can.

Edit: Just looked around the web ebough to find out exactly what my bike is...and so far I've concluded it's engine is the 169FML, and the "brand" is a NewStar DB-200

Old 10-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #2

Welcome!

I like how your bike makes the "bling" sound when it's clean. Sweet Challenger too.

Your engine is a pushrod Honda clone, much like a CG125 that's been poked out. Search for CG200 on eBay for engine parts, and search for generic terms like "dirt bike shock" for suspension. The people who post items for sale are not typically technical types.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #3

Welcome to these forums, Joe! We are glad you joined us. Thanks for posting photos of your bike; it looks good. With eBay, and Ace Hardware, you shouldn't have any problems getting parts for your motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. But I started changing the oil and realized there is a serial on the motor...163FML. I'm looking around for what engine oil to use...I have a qt of Valvoline 20w-50 Synthetic 4 cycle oil...but unsure what the clutches prefer. it has to be better than the old oil. And the oil looked BAD...filter had some fine shavings on it but I have no idea what maintenance has been done at 1,400 miles. The drain plug has the magnet on it and as expected some extremely fine shavings...but even my car has them so no worries.

What oil and how much is recommended? I've looked around but i don't want to pay to download the 163FML manual.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #5

That's easy. Go ahead and use the four stroke oil you have for now.

In warmer weather, you'd do better to change to 15W40 or even 10W40. I (and several of us here) use Rotella 15W40 diesel oil, because it is non-energy conserving, so it's compatible with your wet clutch.

Ask us anything you like about your bike; chances are we've covered it before.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #6

I agree; the oil you have now is fine. However, the 15W/40 diesel oil is great oil, and it costs a lot less than most other motor oils. I don't know how cold it gets in Texas during the winter. Up here in Idaho, I like to put Rotella T6, 5W/40 oil in my bikes for the winter.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

Got off work early and started wrenching. Had the plastics off again to check the lights not functioning, and decided to wetsand and paint them with Krylon Fusion Olive in Ultra-Flat. Also painted to motor with a can of flat engine paint I had form another project.

Went riding for a couple hours, did a shallow creek crossing at crawling speed, then continued to ride for another hour or so. Then I stopped at the local gas station and when I returned to the bike the battery was dead, as in the electric starter was slowly turning the motor over until after a few presses nothing but a little electric load noise. Kicked right up though, so no biggie. going to swap in the spare battery to see if that fixes it. maybe I killed the charging system with the water crossing?

So now I'm looking for 10mm(?) mirrors? Might get them from JCWhitney. Used them in my VW Days and nothing but good experiences.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

Krylon Fusion FTW! Looks awesome in OD . Not too sure what happened with the electrical on you, but hoping you get it sorted out quickly and easily. Bike looks great!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSlow
Got off work early and started wrenching. Had the plastics off again to check the lights not functioning, and decided to wetsand and paint them with Krylon Fusion Olive in Ultra-Flat. Also painted to motor with a can of flat engine paint I had form another project...
Did you use the Ultra-Flat, Camouflage paint? Your bike looks great! Now you might want to add a white star, and U.S. Army lettering.
Quote:
...Went riding for a couple hours, did a shallow creek crossing at crawling speed, then continued to ride for another hour or so. Then I stopped at the local gas station and when I returned to the bike the battery was dead, as in the electric starter was slowly turning the motor over until after a few presses nothing but a little electric load noise. Kicked right up though, so no biggie. going to swap in the spare battery to see if that fixes it. maybe I killed the charging system with the water crossing?...
I doubt you damaged the charging system. I bet your new battery fixes the problem.
Quote:
...So now I'm looking for 10mm(?) mirrors? Might get them from JCWhitney. Used them in my VW Days and nothing but good experiences.
Do you have perches for your mirrors? If so, the 10mm mirrors should work well for you. You might want to buy a set of the black mirrors from Hoosier Garage; I think these mirrors represent an excellent value.

http://www.hoosiergarage.com/motorcycle-mirrors.aspx

If I may ask, what happened to your front turn signals?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #10

Turn signals: rear one was missing a cover so i puled thee fronts when i scavenged the cover. I'll get a new set off ebay or somewhere cheap.

Yes, it was Camouflage Olive Fusion in ultra flat. I got it at work for $3.20 a can after my discount(cost+ 5%). Normal retail is $6.99. One can did the entire bike(note, i don't have side covers) two coats, no priming, and then i have a couple spare cans now.

Checking out Hoosier garage, also looking online for turn signals. really like these mirrors: http://www.jcwhitney.com/black-taper...x?skuId=138176

Just unsure which ones will fit...both are 10MM but apparently tapered differently?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Turn signals: rear one was missing a cover so i puled thee fronts when i scavenged the cover. I'll get a new set off ebay or somewhere cheap...
Check out the Western Power Sports, Oval Turn Signals. These turn signals are well built, and inexpensive. I have them mounted on my Zong.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...rn-Signal.aspx
Quote:
...Yes, it was Camouflage Olive Fusion in ultra flat. I got it at work for $3.20 a can after my discount(cost+ 5%). Normal retail is $6.99. One can did the entire bike(note, i don't have side covers) two coats, no priming, and then i have a couple spare cans now...
I love Krylon Fusion spray paint!
Quote:
...Checking out Hoosier garage, also looking online for turn signals. really like these mirrors: http://www.jcwhitney.com/black-taper...x?skuId=138176

Just unsure which ones will fit...both are 10MM but apparently tapered differently?
The J.C. Whitney mirrors are very nice! Both mirrors will fit your bike; the taper only affects the mirror shape, not the 10mm mounting bolt. The Hoosier garage mirrors appear to be very similar the J.C. Whitney mirrors, but the Hoosier Garage mirrors cost about $5 less per pair. You can also buy the Hoosier Garage mirrors on eBay.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #12

Update...ammo box battery/storage.

Going to get a big block of rubber foam to hold the battery down/forward, and cut out a portion to hold tools, keeping them from vibrating in box.

I have to admit..I'm really enjoying the china bike. Already put close to 300 miles on it...mostly trail riding and maybe 40 on the back roads.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #13

Ammo box looks good, even matches the color! Good idea too, I think the original battery boxes were prone to breaking.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #14

This caught me off guard. Traveling about 45mph my throttle got stuck, guess the broken frayed end held the tension again the carb's spring. going to replace the cable and grips while I'm at it. Only at 1500 miles...but hard ones at that.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #15

The ammo box looks great, Joe! Perhaps you can add another ammo box to the right side of the bike, to balance the symmetry. I think one, or several strategically placed, white stars would look great on your bike.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220