Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #1

Got a TaoTao... I think.

A good friend of mine recently passed away and I inherited his TaoTao (I think) 110 fourwheeler (I'm guessing 110, the engine says 107cc) it has a 3 speed transmission and runs really good but I have noticed that it just doesn't have enough torque. I was trying to go over a fairly small tree that has fallen and it would not go, I had to get off and push it over it. Is there anything that am I can do to make this thing better?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #2

Welcome!

Start by showing us some pics. I think I know what you have, but pics would help. My daughter had a 50cc atv, and the muffler choked it terribly. Upon opening it up, it had enough torque to haul my butt around.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-24-2014, 12:54 AM   #3

speed

Hello..... yes the muffler can restrict t he motor a lot... if you do not mind the extra noise.. open up the exhaust..... but first undo the exhaust pipe at the motor to check it out... to see if this is the problem...... otherwise it might be a clutch ... or a clutch adjustment..... people do not change the oil enough or run it low... this burns up the clutch linings... you can see on YOUTUBE how to adjust a Honda clutch... simple to do.. the make does not matter much..... most are about the same items... just weaker frames... weak swingarm bushings ( gio )... as WELD says... show some pics if you can,.. but check out the above first.. Does it work ok on the flats

Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #4

It does pretty well on flat surface but I have noticed that if you gas it pretty hard that you can hear the engine rev up but feel no difference in speed, like something is slipping. I searched the vin on 2 different sites and one said it is a TaoTao and the other said the manufacturer was unknown. They both said it is a 2008.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0724140720c.jpg (96.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 0724140720b.jpg (101.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 0724140720a.jpg (97.5 KB, 115 views)

Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #5

Ok, somebody has already removed the stock muffler and installed a utility muffler from TSC or similar.

Check under the chrome inspection cover on the right side of the motor. You should see a stud with a nut for adjusting purposes, but the stud must have a slot cut in it that can accept a slot screwdriver. Some do not have the slot.

If yours has the right setup, use this Youtube vid: Clutch Adjustment

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #6

Thank you so much for your help! I will take a look at it when I get home from work, hopefully this fixes my problem. Do you know how much oil this engine holds?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #7

Ok, got the clutch adjusted but it shifts easier but still feels like it doesn't have any torque, maybe that's just how these engines are? I do have a few concerns, I found a sticker that says this engine is a 150cc but on the cylinder itself it says 107cm3. Maybe the engine has been replaced?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #8

Most likely the sticker is wrong. What I would do for more power is to drop a tooth on the counter shaft sprocket. That should help with hills.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #9

Is the counter shaft the one on the engine?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #10

motor

Hello.... this is a 125 F1... some one must have changed the motor if it says 107.. and it is a forward & reverse drive.. right?? if so that explains why it is slow... the atv is built to have a 1st , 2nd & 3rd gearing to execrate better and carry the load... as mention.. change the motor gear to a smaller one.. this will take the load off to handle it better.. cuts down the top end speed.... but you have to get there..... on this model with the 3 speed trans... people usually blow the trans in 2nd gear because the downshift when going too fast... and the teeth can not handle it... I warn people to NOT DOWNSHIFT from 3rd if they are going fast.. one they learn they will be buying s motor if this happens.... they learn..

Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
Hello.... this is a 125 F1... some one must have changed the motor if it says 107.. and it is a forward & reverse drive.. right?? if so that explains why it is slow... the atv is built to have a 1st , 2nd & 3rd gearing to execrate better and carry the load... as mention.. change the motor gear to a smaller one.. this will take the load off to handle it better.. cuts down the top end speed.... but you have to get there..... on this model with the 3 speed trans... people usually blow the trans in 2nd gear because the downshift when going too fast... and the teeth can not handle it... I warn people to NOT DOWNSHIFT from 3rd if they are going fast.. one they learn they will be buying s motor if this happens.... they learn..
It still has a 3 speed transmission.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfincher86 View Post
Is the counter shaft the one on the engine?
That's right. To answer your other question, the engine holds less than a quart.

Remove your front sprocket to compare it with this one: http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/5031

Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #13

I can see that it has larger tires installed on the rear and likely you weigh more than the intended kid riders so even with the 3 speed it is struggling to move you while turning larger tires. Gearing it down should help with climbing hills. Also make it easier to drive at low speeds.

Countershaft is the engine sprocket. Its the easiest to change and the cheaper more available sprocket. Likely a 428 chain. If you don't care about top speed drop 2 teeth.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #14

Agreed. Just make sure that you don't drop below 12 teeth on the countershaft sprocket. Any less, and you're forcing the chain to articulate around too small of a radius.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #15

Ok, so I finally got around to looking at the sprockets and found the sprocket on the engine had 2 broken teeth. I ordered a 12 tooth sprocket, hopefully that solves my problem.