Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #1

My KDX220 Gets a Kickstand!

As you might know, my recently acquired, Kawasaki KDX220 did not have a kickstand. 8O After considering the acquisition of an OEM kickstand, I finally decided to install a Trail Tech kickstand. Trail Tech does not manufacture a kickstand designed for the KDX220, but one can modify the KX125/250 kickstand to fit the KDX220 motorcycle.

Once installed, the Trail Tech kickstand was much too long. :roll: Therefore, I enlisted the help of my Christian Brother Andy, a professional mechanic, to shorten the kickstand. After cutting two inches off the kickstand, it seemed about the right height. I took the KDX220 for a ride this afternoon, and the kickstand worked great!

I am very happy to finally have a kickstand installed on this motorcycle. 8)

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #2

Looks great Spud!

Nice to not have to lay it down on its side or lean it on a tree or a signpost.

Are those new graphics? I see you removed the rear blinkers.

That's a great bike.

I've been trying to spot another one, and I've seen nothing even remotely like the deal you got.

Enjoy!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Looks great Spud!

Nice to not have to lay it down on its side or lean it on a tree or a signpost.

Are those new graphics? I see you removed the rear blinkers.

That's a great bike.

I've been trying to spot another one, and I've seen nothing even remotely like the deal you got.

Enjoy!
Thank you, Brother Bill. I removed the rear turn signals because the hot exhaust was destroying the blinker closest to it. :roll: Therefore, I am going to remount the turn signals in a safer place. I'm considering flush mounting the turn signals for greater strength, but I also want to maintain high visibility, so I will probably stick with the stalk-mounted signals. :? I have not changed the graphics.

P.S. I'm absolutely delighted to have a kickstand!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #4

Doc, you inquired about the front brake rotor in another post, but I forgot to reply. :roll: I took the brake rotor off the spare, KDX220 front wheel, and attached it to the KX500 front wheel I have mounted on this bike, which has received a KX500, USD fork conversion. The "new" brake rotor works great!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

That's an ideal dual sport bike; light enough to toss around, powerful enough to climb anything you point it at and small enough to be cheap on insurance. It looks great, and I hope it gives you many happy miles.

I'm guessing there is no steering lock. Do you carry a cable lock with you?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Doc, you inquired about the front brake rotor in another post, but I forgot to reply. :roll: I took the brake rotor off the spare, KDX220 front wheel, and attached it to the KX500 front wheel I have mounted on this bike, which has received a KX500, USD fork conversion. The "new" brake rotor works great!

Spud
Awesome, Spud, and the price was right too!

You got a great deal on this bike. I'm looking forward to following the Spudifications it will doubtless receive over the winter.

Winter, BTW, is God's way of annually reminding us we live in a fallen world.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #7

You don't realize how important a kickstand is until you have a bike that's missing it . Kawi looks awesome! Is that one of the infamous Kenda Trakmasters I see on the back?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

Speaking for Spud, yes it is! It was brand new when he got the bike but knowing its powerband I don't expect it will be long for this Earth. 8)

Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:

Spud
...You got a great deal on this bike. I'm looking forward to following the Spudifications it will doubtless receive over the winter...
I'll keep you posted on the modifications, Doc.
Quote:
...Winter, BTW, is God's way of annually reminding us we live in a fallen world.
As if we need any more reminders. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's an ideal dual sport bike; light enough to toss around, powerful enough to climb anything you point it at and small enough to be cheap on insurance. It looks great, and I hope it gives you many happy miles.

Thank you, Weld.

You're correct; the bike doesn't have either an ignition key, or a steering lock. I currently don't have any plans to carry a lock. The threat of theft isn't a big issue where I live, and I usually don't leave the bike unattended for long when I ride it into town. However, I might change my mind.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
You don't realize how important a kickstand is until you have a bike that's missing it . Kawi looks awesome! Is that one of the infamous Kenda Trakmasters I see on the back?
Thank you, Stew. I am practically giddy to finally have a kickstand on this bike! The Trail Tech kickstand is quite nice, but I can tell I will need to check periodically to ensure the bolts are still tight.

As Doc confirmed, the rear tire is a new, Kenda TrakMaster, size 100/100-18. The front tire is a Maxxis, MaxxCross SI, size 80/100-21. Both tires work great off road, and also work surprising well on the street! I also got a practically new, Michelin, S12 front tire, size 90/90-21.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #12

Incidentally, the OEM kickstand for this bike is greatly maligned by its owners. :roll: The stock kickstand attaches to the rear portion of the swingarm, not the frame, and gets sloppy from all the punishment it receives back there. :? Also, many riders complain the stock kickstand is not the correct length, and allows the bike to fall over a lot. :(

As I stated previously, I needed to modify this Trail Tech kickstand to fit my bike, but I am glad I took the effort to do so. This kickstand is very light, yet very strong, and it seems to work well. You can read more about this Trail Tech kickstand at the following link.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewt...r=asc&&start=0

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you, Weld.

You're correct; the bike doesn't have either an ignition key, or a steering lock. I currently don't have any plans to carry a lock. The threat of theft isn't a big issue where I live, and I usually don't leave the bike unattended for long when I ride it into town. However, I might change my mind.

Spud
If someone ever tries to steal it, which I TOTALLY can't see happening in Spudland, just follow the trail of smoke and you'll find it right away! :P

Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you, Weld.

Spud
If someone ever tries to steal it, which I TOTALLY can't see happening in Spudland, just follow the trail of smoke and you'll find it right away! :P

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you, Weld.

Spud
If you intend to use the bike for quick commutes to the store, etc, it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of disabling device. Generic ignition switches can be had for cheap, but there is another effective method. Study the CDI and choose a power wire that you intend to interrupt, then cut it and connect both ends to a Molex-style female connector. Loop a wire between the two mating terminals of the male connector and plug them together.

As long as the connector is plugged in, the bike will run. If you want to ensure that nobody can kick start it, just unplug the connector and put it in your pocket.

Conversely, you could interrupt the CDI ground kill circuit with the same connector. In that case, the bike won't run if your added Molex connector is plugged in.

In either case, you could use a 12 pin Molex connector and add wires of different colours to the remaining 10 terrminals, and have them routed up under the tank and connected to nothing. The only purpose is to confuse a thief to the point that they move on.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer