Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #1

Possible Solution to AMR CDI Starter/Idle Problem

Here is the potential solution that I see to the AMR Stage 3 starting and idling problem. The timing curve on the CDI is too far advanced and is causing the engine to kick back on startup and not idle correctly.

The way I understand it the engine has a Hall sensor that establishes the advance/retard of the timing (I am not sure what our Lifans look like but from what I know of Japanese bikes this is how they work).

What I suggest then is to find the Hall sensor, and move it a few degrees in order to retard the overall bike timing. The CDI curve will remain just as aggressive, however overall the timing will be retarded a few degrees. This should remove the kickback (which is what causes that funny noise in the starter because it kicked back on me yesterday while kick starting). upon startup and allow the bike to idle much better. The kick back didn't blow my knee apart it was just noticeable which suggests that the timing is only off by a couple of degrees on startup.

Zapkin this is what I suggest as a possible solution as per your other post.

Anyone think I am crazy? or that it might work?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #2

I was gonna post that idea a few days ago but decided not to but yeah ithink it would make it just about right.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
I was gonna post that idea a few days ago but decided not to but yeah ithink it would make it just about right.
Are you currently running an AMR III CDI? How hard do you think it would be to do this? I suspect it wouldn't take all that long.

GH

Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #4

Yep I have one installed and I dont think it would take all that long to do, not any longer than trying to advance the timing in that way.

I myself didnt notice much of an difference in mine overall though and I will most likely take the AMR S-3 off my bike and try it on my chinablaster project.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #5

Re: Possible Solution to AMR CDI Starter/Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenski
The way I understand it the engine has a Hall sensor that establishes the advance/retard of the timing (I am not sure what our Lifans look like but from what I know of Japanese bikes this is how they work).
Hall sensor Hmmmm, if it has any resemblence to a crank sensor you will find it under the left hand transmission cover there will be the flywheel. it is mounted next to or behind the flywheel.

as your engine turns a signal is picked up by the sensor and sends a signal to the cdi.

on some other engines I have seen, it is mounted with two bolts and you need to drill and tap new holes for them to mount to.

As for how many deegrees off set to drill the holes I have no clue.

Not much info on this, but I hope it helps.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #6

thanks for the idea but i have a sneaky feeling that I'd be hesitant to try it because of my limited experience with the inside of engines. but if it were a fairly simple procedure and accompanied by photos I might get brave.

I took the AMR thing off my bike. Its now a spare in case my CDI kicks the bucket and I need a quickfix.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #7

Is it not counter productive to add a cdi with an advanced curve, then mechanically retard the timing???
Just a question...not rude. 8)
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #8

One of these days here I may give it a try. If the weather is nice and I have a least a couple of hours of daylight.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior91
Is it not counter productive to add a cdi with an advanced curve, then mechanically retard the timing???
At first thought it would seem so but as an example :
If the AF-CDI advanced the timing 10 degrees but it ends up just a bit to advanced and an advancement of 7 degrees is right on you would still get the benefits timing advance and performance of the CDI but minimizing the possible damage.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #10

My thoughts exactly. Are there any actually parts diagrams available that would show what the inside looks like?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
I couldn’t say it better myself!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebigdave
Quote:
Not everyone is going to understand it but thats OK.

I understand it glenski 100% and it does make sense but I think I'll try fine tuning my bike before tuning down the CDI.
I tend to think that the stage 2 may be the better option but I'm kind of stuck with the stage 3 for now.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to GY_Racing

Quote:
The kick back didn't blow my knee apart it was just noticeable which suggests that the timing is only off by a couple of degrees on startup.
LMAO!! I hate it when it blows you knee apart!! You don't have electric start!!? That must suck..

I was reading up on the aftermarket CDI's on the Lifan's. It looks like they went from no one using them just a few weeks back to all the sudden everyone has one or is buying/talking about them. Who set the trend or let the cat out of the bag on this little performance jewel anyway?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebigdave
Quote:
Not everyone is going to understand it but thats OK.

I understand it glenski 100% and it does make sense but I think I'll try fine tuning my bike before tuning down the CDI.
I tend to think that the stage 2 may be the better option but I'm kind of stuck with the stage 3 for now.
You see, here is my point! How are you going to fine tune your bike if the timing is not set correctly? Going with a Stage 2 CDI goes back to what TeamCheap was getting at by saying "Is it not counter productive to add a cdi with an advanced curve, then mechanically retard the timing???"

Yes you could MAKE your stage 3 work but this would be better achieved by just purchasing a Stage 2 CDI!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY_Racing
Quote:
The kick back didn't blow my knee apart it was just noticeable which suggests that the timing is only off by a couple of degrees on startup.
LMAO!! I hate it when it blows you knee apart!! You don't have electric start!!? That must suck..

I was reading up on the aftermarket CDI's on the Lifan's. It looks like they went from no one using them just a few weeks back to all the sudden everyone has one or is buying/talking about them. Who set the trend or let the cat out of the bag on this little performance jewel anyway?
Not quite! Seems only four of us have tried an aftermarket CDI .
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=4403