Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #1

New Templar X

Ok, so I been lurking on this forum for months and going back and forth on which bike to buy. I have narrowed it down to the Templar X and I have been reading all the threads on what needs to be done to it to make it usable and reliable but there is sooo many pages of stuff to read and the threads get sidetracked.
If you guys could be so kind as to just summarize a list of initial setup musts (like loctite and oil changing) and things that should be changed or upgraded for longevity and reliability (Like carb and chain, etc) it would be super appreciated!
I live in Idaho and will be using this bike for buzzing around the mountain dirt roads, paved roads and some single track for hunting near my cabin at about 4,000 - 7,000 feet.
I am 59 years old, 6'3" tall and weigh 240 lbs.
I am very mechanically inclined and have owned motorcycles, atv's, snowmobiles and UTV's my whole life.
I just can't justify spending over $6,000 on a name brand bike for this purpose and if I like the bike my son will probably get the same and I might get the wife a Hawk.
Thanks in advance!

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! Good choice on the Templar. You also might consider the Lifan KPX 250. It's a true 250cc with EFI and 6 speed transmission. It comes with a 2 year/12,000 mile part warranty. I've been really impressed with mine.
https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...-fuel-injected
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Welcome aboard! Good choice on the Templar. You also might consider the Lifan KPX 250. It's a true 250cc with EFI and 6 speed transmission. It comes with a 2 year/12,000 mile part warranty. I've been really impressed with mine.
https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...-fuel-injected
I looked at those and they seem like a smaller bike similar to the Hawk in size, but other than that they seem like maybe a better bike?

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDick View Post
I looked at those and they seem like a smaller bike similar to the Hawk in size, but other than that they seem like maybe a better bike?
The KPX is a tall bike. Much taller than the Hawk. I've owned both. Here a comarision video.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #5

Based on your altitude, you may need to do NOTHING with the carburetor on the Temp X. But other stuff is pretty well summarized in the Templar Resource Guide (Sticky in the Dual Sports section).

You might consider saving a few hundred and get the M if it is still available, and if a 5 speed engine is OK. Otherwise get the TempX for the 6 speed and adjustable suspension. Both of them are 249cc ~20hp true 250s.

Other than that, post questions in your thread here as you run into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDick View Post
Ok, so I been lurking on this forum for months and going back and forth on which bike to buy. I have narrowed it down to the Templar X and I have been reading all the threads on what needs to be done to it to make it usable and reliable but there is sooo many pages of stuff to read and the threads get sidetracked.
If you guys could be so kind as to just summarize a list of initial setup musts (like loctite and oil changing) and things that should be changed or upgraded for longevity and reliability (Like carb and chain, etc) it would be super appreciated!
I live in Idaho and will be using this bike for buzzing around the mountain dirt roads, paved roads and some single track for hunting near my cabin at about 4,000 - 7,000 feet.
I am 59 years old, 6'3" tall and weigh 240 lbs.
I am very mechanically inclined and have owned motorcycles, atv's, snowmobiles and UTV's my whole life.
I just can't justify spending over $6,000 on a name brand bike for this purpose and if I like the bike my son will probably get the same and I might get the wife a Hawk.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Thumper; Yesterday at 11:30 AM.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #6

My '23 X was so tall I had to drop it a couple of inches to get on and off without jumping for it. (5'9") Depending on what pants I have on I still sometimes have a slight hitch swinging a leg over.
EFI was not a selling point for me as I don't have faith in them having all that dialed in just yet. EFI works but if you have problems a carb setup is a lot easier to troubleshoot and repair at this point.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #7

Lifan KPX is quiet, smooth and maybe 20 lbs heavier than the Templar X. The muffler is massive. Not sure where the extra weight is, but that muffler is part of it! KPX is a comfortable ride, very sedate and quiet.

Templar is raucus, less refined, less oriented towards dual sport than enduro. This makes it better off road bike, much better for single track.

If there is any way you can find an example of each of these bikes and witness them first hand, the differences will become clear.

Lowering the Temp X

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...0&postcount=59

Shortening the kickstand

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...9&postcount=63

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #8

New TempX here also. Got it mainly for road paved/gravel. Youll want to drop the rear sprocket teeth as its geared high factory. Ended up with 40T rear on mine.

Old Today, 10:22 AM   #9

If I put on a Nibbi Carb what jet sizes should I start with at 4,000-7,000 ft?

Tags
templar x, x-pro templar, xpro, xpro hawk 250