Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #1

Today I made a start

Well I picked the bike up and all its pieces (I hope) night before last.
Figured today after work I'd make a quick assessment of what's needed to get back on the road.....but first some pics of how she sitting under my house currently:

My box of bits

Taken the front wheel off as has a puncture so bought a new "heavy duty" inner tube and going to change it at work. I can fit car tyres with ease so a bike riding mate said ill have little trouble doing a bike tyre? (Hope he's right!)

Once I've done that going to clean the carb up and assemble the air box, fit the side plastics, battery tray and battery back in and the lights.
Then if I have time still I shall make a start at sanding down the plastics as they are half sanded and faded.
Think I'm going to go with matt black to match my oldskool range rover as together I think they would make a good pair?

Seen a bike carrier you can slot into the tow bar of a car and take the bike with you so buying the bike was sorta driven by e thought of hey I can go offroading and if I get stuck jump on the bike and search for another truck to pull me out! Don't think ill have too much trouble fabricating a copy of that, only downside is ill have quite a bit of overhang which will cause issues on steep slopes.

Only bit of plastic I'm not liking so far is the tank cover, think the bike looks far better without it but after reading spuds thread and comments on the seat not fitting quite right without it ill have to wait till the bike is a bit more assembled to asses that idea.

Shall update after the weekend 8)

Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #2

I agree; matte black would be a nice complement to your Rover. 8)

I have a similar bike hauler that my buddy made for me. I was going to make one to haul a bike to Edmonton (about 1200km), but I ran out of time, so he got busy and built it for me. A real gentleman.

He got around the issue of ground clearance by starting with a piece of square tube that fits into the receiver (say about 18" long), and then welding another piece on top of it (creating a step). The perpendicular angle iron is welded to the upper piece, and that gives me all of the clearance I need. I'm hauling bikes on the back of a Dodge minivan, so I need the extra clearance just to make it over curbs. I've never scraped it.

I subsequently used the same trick when I built a cargo hauler for camping, and it fits into the receiver as well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

a naked zong chopper

looks like you re in australia, palm trees + right hand steering?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #4

I almost bought a rover like that once. I hesistated as they didn't sell many here and that one needed some work and I didn't want to risk it as being my daily driver.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #5

Problem with the carrier isn't so much the clearance it's the overhang, that's what will stop the rover dead in its tracks on a slope. As standard the overhang is pretty bad so much to the extent that its rather common to chop a section out and shorten the roof and sides To match. We call it bob-tailing in the uk.
Reason behind buying the range rover was it was cheap ($1300) and only needed a lil bit of work. Fairly easy for me though as I'm a range rover mechanic :wink: she's my other project....got 4 turbos sat on the shelf waiting to be fabricated on, not sure if ill do a twin setup or fit all 4 just for a laugh!

And yes I'm in townsville zingshoen! Just moved up here from vic!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #6

Annnnnd front tyre inner tube is done!
Piece of cake 8) far easier than low profile wide arse car tyres that for sure!

Found a bit of dodgy twist and tape wiring....was done in 3 places!

So soldered and heat shrunk it properly to avoid future problems

Laid out all my plastics to see if I was missing anything

Turns out I am :(
Missing the passenger grab rail and one of the fork dust shield clips like this and I'm sure ill be missing more but yet to work out what:

Found a few split/bodged vacuume hoses but local shop didnt have the right diameter in stock so going to have to wait till Monday and get some from work.

Now for a few bits I'm unsure about......
How does the bulb stay in the headlight holder? Surely I'm not meant to bend down the little metal tags that are currently sticking upwards?

Where on earth does this large plastic piece go???

And where do these 2 hoses go to? :(
One is out the bottom of the carb, and one goes up to the passenger side of the carb.

Never even looked at a bike carb before so I'm sure people are laughing as its blatantly something very simple that I'm just missing.

How I've left the bike now this afternoon

Want to assemble it completely to double check I'm not missing and bits before I remove all the plastics again to paint them.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #7

Welcome, fellow Zongite! You're off to a very good start, Fonfe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonfe
...Now for a few bits I'm unsure about......
How does the bulb stay in the headlight holder? Surely I'm not meant to bend down the little metal tags that are currently sticking upwards?
No, don't bend down the metal tabs. 8O You are missing a U-shaped spring clip which hooks under the two tabs on it's open end, and hooks under another tab on the opposite side of the headlight.
Quote:
...Where on earth does this large plastic piece go???
That's the plastic skid plate. The front is at the left side of the photograph, and the rear is at the right side of the photograph. The front attaches with a single bolt, and the rear attaches with two bolts to a small plate on the frame.
Quote:
...And where do these 2 hoses go to? :(
One is out the bottom of the carb, and one goes up to the passenger side of the carb.

Never even looked at a bike carb before so I'm sure people are laughing as its blatantly something very simple that I'm just missing...
Both carburetor hoses vent to the ground, and are supposed to travel inside a wire loop which is welded to to the frame.
Quote:
...How I've left the bike now this afternoon

Want to assemble it completely to double check I'm not missing and bits before I remove all the plastics again to paint them.
You Zong looks good! What color have you chosen to paint the bike?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

Thanks man, great help!
Painting it matt black to match my classic range rover.

One more thing, where does the pipe from the small breather filter on the right hand side go to? I know one end goes to the engine but what about the pipe after the filter?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #9

the other end of the EGR pipe (which starts at the cylinder head) has an inlet at the bottom of the intake, if i remember correctly.

there is also an oil recovery box, that pipe goes from engine to oil drip to air box.

from what i remember. all that stuff clutters up the the motor and the little space there is.

hey, you mention victoria, the place to be, i miss it. been there long? i was, 11 years.
but i do like the warm weather in queensland.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #10

I'm sure Zingshoen is correct about the EGR equipment. We aren't bothered by any of that "hardware" on the North American version of the Zong.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #11

I'd certainly perform what Spud calls "a smog-ectomy". I have no interest in an EGR or a catalytic converter.

BTW, you're not likely to find anyone laughing at you around this shop. We all started somewhere.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #12

Yep I've got the one that's connected to the air box it's the one on the other side I'm unsure of.
Seems to go from the front half of the block to a cylinderical filter which is just lower than the battery then to a pipe that goes no where?

Tried to start the bike today but no joy :( fuel going to the carb is ok, seem to have spark but not sure if its at the correct time. Going to bring a plug tester home from work tomorrow.
Also found a mystery wire that I can't seem to find on a wiring diagram anywhere....hoping someone may know where it's meant to go!
Has two plain green wires that go into a white multiplug and just one place one out the other side. It's has some solder on the end of the black one so I'm guessing its a past repair that's come undone but can't seem to find a wire to join it to!

It was hiding underneath the fuel tank, I've lifted that up and it just joins the rest of the main wiring loom. Have a feeling its an earth strap due to being 2 wires into 1 but daren't risk a short by trying it out

Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #13

sidestand switch? the zongs have that, and two in one may mean PO bypassed it. just a guess.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #14

You are wise to check for sufficient spark. Based upon my experience, I doubt your ignition timing is bad. I suggest you check to ensure the electrical connections coming from the stator are secure. I check these connections periodically, even when the bike is running well.

I also encourage you to check the valve lash. Tight valves will make the bike harder to start. I make it a practice to check the valve lash on any used motorcycle I acquire.

I assume the connector in question is the one located in the center of your photograph? I don't have a safety switch on the side side of my North American Zong. I can't find that connector on any of my wiring diagrams, either. :roll: However, I do know the Zong's wiring harness uses green as the ground wire. Therefore, I'm inclined to believe that connection was serving as a ground connection.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #15

Yep I think your right spud, had a gander through the parts list you have the link to and on the loom its showing that wire going to the battery earth I believe so going to check it tonight and if its right ill hook it up and see!