Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 07:33 AM   #1

Templar M keeps stalling

Hey guys, I posted a while ago about how my bike started cutting out after it warmed up well now it has progressed to the point that now it dies after a few minutes of riding. The only way for me to get it restarted is to mess with the choke adjustment and for some reason that will allow it to start and run for a few minutes before it dies again and I repeat the whole process. I pulled my spark plug and I think it's running rich? I also have to adjust the valves but I don't have space right now to pull the gas tank and all that off. I attached a picture of the spark plug, I'd greatly appreciate some help bc this is quite annoying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparkplug.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	31602  

Old Today, 07:57 AM   #2

That plug does not look sooty at all. Have you rejet? What's your elevation. If it is original, bump 40 pilot jet to 42 and shim the needle. Air screw to about a turn and a half. This should be OK to 1500 or even 2000 feet.

Last edited by Thumper; Today at 08:54 AM.

Old Today, 10:43 AM   #3

I think the last post on his last thread was 5-14. The thread was chock full of good advice. It seems like you’re not listening. Valves were brought up, fuel restrictions so on and so forth. I’m also still thinking fuel restriction because it will start then dies and got worse with time it seems. Agree with Thumper that spark plug doesn’t look bad at all. Maybe reread your previous thread again and pay closer attention…my thoughts

Old Today, 11:27 AM   #4

Too lean on the pilot could easily explain the stalling, but I agree that it could be a vapor lock/fuel supply thing. Not sure what I missed in the post. I did NOT try to find the history back on 5-14 on this if that's what you mean.

But I still go with a fuel supply issue (or lean) if the valves are adjusted. Maybe brought up means adjusted, or just discussed (valves). But if valves are not adjusted, then yes, that could contribute and cause stalling as well.

One other possibility (related to fuel supply). Open the tank periodically to equalize while you ride and see if that solves it (bad vent?).

Old Today, 11:46 AM   #5

Your spark plug looks like it has sooth on. So you're definitely running very rich. The top is clear white looking, so it could be that you're running lean as well.
Without knowing if the bike dies at idle and runs at throttle, I'd have to assume that you're running a rich pilot jet, causing your bike to die at idle.
And the lean looking top of the spark plug, could indicate that your main jet is too lean.

To better know what's going on, play with the AF screw, and see if your bike can continue to idle, and if you added fuel or air to get that result.

So, I'd say, go down 2 sizes on the idle or pilot jet, and up 2 sizes on the main jet.

Old Today, 11:51 AM   #6

Go to Dual Sport/Enduro page 4 then look for his name or Templar M Stuttering to see his previous thread.

Old Today, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Your spark plug looks like it has sooth on. So you're definitely running very rich. The top is clear white looking, so it could be that you're running lean as well.
You can't be "running very rich" and ..."running lean as well". That's just plain laughable dude

There is just NO WAY that Temp M is running rich.

It takes some time to develop burnt lean look on the white porcelain, but the soot builds up quickly and is obvious. You have NO SOOT on that plug. But replace that OEM plug NYCdiesel. Check the Templar Resource for info.

Here is a photo for reference, but there are lots of examples out there.
https://www.tuningmatters.com/how-to...retor-setting/

Your plug is more like the optimal than the rich, so it COULD be running lean (as I mentioned, can take a little time to develop the "burn").

1) Make sure the valves are set
2) you probably have a fuel supply issue... could be just too lean, but maybe things I mentioned before. Fuel is getting cut off or way too leaned out due to a potential variety of possible things I mentioned. Your jetting could be SPOT ON, but fuel supply is blocked at the filter, vacuum developing somewhere. I doubt it is the float, but could be that as well.

Last edited by Thumper; Today at 02:12 PM.

Old Today, 01:06 PM   #8

NYCdiesel-
Next time, please resume the same thread (Templar M stuttering) posting to a continued thread, not a new one.

You cannot expect us to try to find your history 4 pages back , and the info in that thread is obviously relevant. At least a link to the thread would have helped. I did look back after all of the useless posts from a couple of posts from people that really don't seem to have a clue...and you know exactly who you are

On that thread (https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34190)

-The cutting out and back firing (post #5) sounds like running out of gas-LEAN. Look at post #10
-J4fun asked about the valves. Are they adjusted now?
-and in post #14, another reference to fuel flow issue
-OP mentions valves in the context of "Just had my valves on my RR checked at 28K and they were fine" but no mention of valve adjustment on the 250
-buzz suggests LEAN in post #19
-Tom mentions valves again in post #24. Then zero dgz in post #26, and STILL no response from OP
-Dan reiterartes advice on the valves in post #27
-OP mentions ordering jets in #28, FINALLY

So now, in this new thread (Templar M keeps stalling, https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34374)
OP states that he STILL needs to adjust the valves (NOT adjusted). And NO mention of jets.

But still complaining about the symptoms, and getting worse. Experts are pointing at LEAN. But you need to check valves. Mega Dan mentioned the well known fact that these Chinese bikes often ship with tight valve lash. He also spent a lot of effort describing carb advice, as others did, and you seem to ignore it. Hey, we are here to help, but at some point, will lose interest. What have you actually done?

Last edited by Thumper; Today at 03:04 PM.