Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 01:21 PM   #1

ignition switch failure

I just brought my nephew's old yf110 gio home. I pulled out the ignition switch and found that all the wires had broken off of it. The left side hydraulic brake lever and master is broken. The right brake cables are seized, and the throttle cable is seized. I can crank the engine just fine by jumping the solenoid and I can figure out most everything else, but there are two issues that I have.

The first is where do I get these parts? I don't want to spend a lot of money because the unit is not worth all that much, so before I dive into it I want to make sure it's worth repairing.

Secondly I don't know where these four wires for the ignition switch go so that I can wire in a new switch or figure out some alternative method of switching it on and off. The ignition switch had a black a red a black with white stripe and a green wire and if somebody could help me figure out where those wires go and what they do I can figure out the rest.

I also have a strong suspicion that the carburetor is going to be varnished up so that might end up being a project to get the thing running as fuel sat in it until there was no more fuel.

I would love a manual or a wiring diagram to know what to do with this but anyone who has a good source for cheap parts for this thing would also be super helpful. Thanks everyone

Old Today, 02:26 PM   #2

On the ignition switch, the four wires usually work this way... Two of the wires are for engine kill, and two of the wires power the ignition system. Colors help here if you have them on the switch side and on the four wire connector. Is the connector still intact?

Use an ohmmeter, and with key in the off position, the two wires that kill the engine should be connected (zero resistence) and the other two will be disconnected (infinite resistence).

In the on position, the kill circuit opens (infinite resistence) and the ignition pair are connected. These are low power/amp lines. One of the engine kill pair is a ground wire, and the other probably goes to the coil or the CDI. One the ignition pair, one goes through a fuse to the battery, and the other goes to the CDI.

You may be able to just rewire the switch if it still works. But ignition switches are pretty universal and you can find a compatible replacement.

Old Today, 02:46 PM   #3

Thank you. A buddy actually found a switch and what the colours are for. I have a problem with the rest of the wires as all the harnesses were disconnected by someone and they have the same connectors lol I figured out which is for the solenoid/starter but the rest could be brake switches or engine kill. Having a diagram would be so helpful as the wires all go into a giant loom and disappear behind the plastic. I only know 2010 gio yf110 that's everything I ha e to go off of.