Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 02:36 PM   #1

X-Pro Templar 250cc

Hi everyone. I purchased a new dirt bike that got delivered and it is a Templar 250 cc dirt bike base model that isn’t fuel injected and had the carb on it. I finally got it fully built and started it up last night and it sounded good and was holding idle nicely. It was late so I turned it off and went back inside. I came out to the garage today to take it for a ride and now it won’t start. When holding the electric start without the throttle it just chugs and holding the throttle it seems like it’s trying to start harder but it’s a no go. If I push the clutch in and set it in 1st gear the bike starts to drive but I figured that doesn’t mean anything if it won’t fully turn over. I filled the gas tank so I know it isn’t that but I have no idea what else to check. There is a knob on the side that has on/off for fuel which I have it set to on. Can someone please help me? The battery has 3 bars so maybe it needs to be fully charged for the electric start to work? Please someone help and offer suggestions as I am going crazy. I am switching out the shipping oil today.

Old Today, 02:55 PM   #2

There is a little lever over the left brake. This is the choke. You havne't rejet, so it is lean to begin with! Definitely will need a choke to start.

-the kill switch is easy to forget
-petcock has 3 positions-down or up takes fuel from the right or left lobe (serves as ~ 5 10 mile reserve). -horizontal shuts off fuel.

You'll need to rejet to get more fuel into it. Bump from 40 to 42 or 45 on the pilot, and from 120 to 125 on the main jet. And shim the needle.
Also drill the cover off the airscrew access. This is behind the slide tower on the right. It is a shiny aluminum plug. Try 1.5 turns out at first. Closing this screw (clockwise) make it more rich.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32177

post #4 has links to the carb information.

Old Today, 03:54 PM   #3

Note that "rejetting" is just tuning it to make it run better or to suit you better. Don't worry about that until after you get it to where it starts and runs for you and you get some riding in.

Old Today, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Note that "rejetting" is just tuning it to make it run better or to suit you better. Don't worry about that until after you get it to where it starts and runs for you and you get some riding in.
That’s what I was just looking into doing and figuring out what needs to be done lol. I have no idea what to try first besides I’m supposed to hold the choke while trying to start it? Or clench it a few times?

Old Today, 04:36 PM   #5

If you are below 2500 foot elevation, rejetting WILL be necessary. Some folks at 5000-6000 feet don't need to do anything!

Running lean causes overheating and even detonation. And of course, hard starting, coughing and sputtering, and lots of back firing!!!

EPA wants all vehicles to be running as lean as possible, so they force manufacturers to make carburetor access difficult. So the float bowl screws have breakaway heads with no slot or philips head, and the airscrew access is capped.

It is not difficult to get into the carb, and fortunately the jets in there are standard jets. As I said, this is documented in the Templar Resource guide.

Old Today, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
If you are below 2500 foot elevation, rejetting WILL be necessary. Some folks at 5000-6000 feet don't need to do anything!

Running lean causes overheating and even detonation. And of course, hard starting, coughing and sputtering, and lots of back firing!!!

EPA wants all vehicles to be running as lean as possible, so they force manufacturers to make carburetor access difficult. So the float bowl screws have breakaway heads with no slot or philips head, and the airscrew access is capped.

It is not difficult to get into the carb, and fortunately the jets in there are standard jets. As I said, this is documented in the Templar Resource guide.
Ngl with my zero experience beginner on working on stuff like this I’m kind of intimidated lol.

Old Today, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepkera View Post
That’s what I was just looking into doing and figuring out what needs to be done lol. I have no idea what to try first besides I’m supposed to hold the choke while trying to start it? Or clench it a few times?
Pull and hold the choke while, don't mess with the throttle when starting.
It should fire up and idle with zero throttle input when you're on the choke. It's a bit of a balancing act to find the right choke amount, too much and it won't want to stay idling, too little and it won't run.
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125