Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #1

(HELP) Few issues with my Apollo 250cc

Im having a few issues with my dirtbike and im still very new to the scene.

1) Replaced carb since old one was not good. I can't seem to find a sweet spot with the mixture any tips? It always seems to run too rich after riding around 30min - 1hr and will start backfiring if im really ripping it. It seems to me the idle is perfect but when really riding it is when it starts not liking it. Keep in mind I warm the bike up for 10-15min before attempting to adjust mixtures.

2) Starting the bike when its cold requires 1 kick and starts back up after fully warmed up and riding, if i stall or shut the bike off it'll take 4-6 kicks to start sometimes more. Im assuming this is due to the carb mixture as well. Any tips on this?

3) This bike also has a electric starter but it doesn't work. I thought it was a loose connection but I double checked everything and can't seem to narrow it down. One day I tried it out of curiosity and it worked and then again stopped working. Ever since then hasn't worked anymore.

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #2

When does it 'backfire'; at WOT/high rpm under load or when you let off after a WOT event? Misfire/backfire at WOT and high rpm would make me think main jet or some kind of intake restriction maybe making it run rich. Could be just the jets were all wrong on the new carb. Do you know what they are and how many turns out on the air/fuel screw you're at right now?

Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
When does it 'backfire'; at WOT/high rpm under load or when you let off after a WOT event? Misfire/backfire at WOT and high rpm would make me think main jet or some kind of intake restriction maybe making it run rich. Could be just the jets were all wrong on the new carb. Do you know what they are and how many turns out on the air/fuel screw you're at right now?
For the main part its after I let off and tbh I couldn't tell you as I was messing with it through out the day of riding. My guess would be maybe 2.25-2.5 turns of fuel and 3-4 turns on air. I did open up the carb when I first got it. I remember my idle jet was a 40 I cant remember for the main jet. From your exp what main jet would be relatively the best to use for a 250?

Old Today, 07:11 AM   #4

You might post what kind of carb you have. Someone might jump in that's familiar. I've not owned one of those bikes. The idle mix screw adjusts air or fuel depending upon what kind of carb you have but either way, 3 to 4 turns out indicates some pilot jet size issues. There's lots of info on dialing in carbs out there, here's a link to get started.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20510