Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2024, 08:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
You might want to check out the Smokey Mountain 500 track...

I'll definitely check that out. I frequent the Joyce Kilmer/Citico wilderness areas since I got my Templar. I'm mainly a backpacker but don't like hiking in the heat and was hunting something to still keep me camping during the summer months. Really enjoyed this bike this summer. I'll probably be converting back to backpacking with the cooler weather but I'll be checking this out next late spring when the temps go back up.

I've rode the classics in that area; Cherohala Skyway, Dragon Tail, Deals Gap and all the Harley riders get a laugh passing me on my Templar loaded down with camping gear. I just hug the fog line and motion'em to come on around. Haven't seen another Templar yet but keep looking.. All fun.

Old 09-27-2024, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
I'll definitely check that out. I frequent the Joyce Kilmer/Citico wilderness areas since I got my Templar. I'm mainly a backpacker but don't like hiking in the heat and was hunting something to still keep me camping during the summer months. Really enjoyed this bike this summer. I'll probably be converting back to backpacking with the cooler weather but I'll be checking this out next late spring when the temps go back up.

I've rode the classics in that area; Cherohala Skyway, Dragon Tail, Deals Gap and all the Harley riders get a laugh passing me on my Templar loaded down with camping gear. I just hug the fog line and motion'em to come on around. Haven't seen another Templar yet but keep looking.. All fun.
cool stuff! I've actually not seen any videos (or in person) of our chinese 250s in ADV settings loaded with gear. I'll have to do some searching and see if I can find anything.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 09-27-2024, 10:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
cool stuff! I've actually not seen any videos (or in person) of our chinese 250s in ADV settings loaded with gear ..

Here's a few pics of my last ride. Watts Bar Dam, Cherohala Skyway, Tellico Plains, Joyce Kilmer Wilderness Area (TN,NC)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Templar_07.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	32017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Templar_05.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	32018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Templar_06.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	32019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Templar_02.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	838.6 KB
ID:	32020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Templar_01.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	699.2 KB
ID:	32021  

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Here's a few pics of my last ride. Watts Bar Dam, Cherohala Skyway, Tellico Plains, Joyce Kilmer Wilderness Area (TN,NC)
Great to see our bikes out in the wild! How many miles did you do daily? Did the bike handle it well?

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #20

I’m probably late to the party but…

When I was out and about this summer, on my little 12k mile ride, I ran into this guy doing the TAT on his TW200. Ran into him in CO, when I had to divert around that little stretch of Highway 50 that’s closed because of the washed out bridge (north of Durango). He was riding the stretch of CO with his BIL, who was on a new-to-him KLR650, old enough to be carb’d.

Hthis guy was riding and camping, of course. So he was somewhat loaded to bear. Light, but still… he had gear. And he’s been on the road for a while. And that TW200… Lordy, it has been modified by that point, to better / best suit what he’s been doing. (This was… 2nd week of July?)

But try as they may, there was no making it up Cinnamon Pass. Big rock gravel for a road, tight switchbacks, and then…. a loss of momentum on the last turn. Just could not make it, and certainly could not push it the rest of the way. They turned around, rolled down, and routed around. Two days to go 40 miles as the crow flies. I know they didn’t feel bad - there were three guys on adventure bikes, 700-1100cc deals, and one cracked his timing cover about 3/4 of the way up and they all had to turn around and roll back down, tails between their leafs. (Three cheers for JB weld putty).

So… can the KPX250 do it? I would absolutely think so. I’ve got the files for it, to include the GPSKevin ones, if anyone wants them (and more - DM me). But really, you’d need to hammer out your load, because weight is god. I was just riding here, there and everywhere and even that trip had me looking at and factoring in weight as an important variable.
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike
KTM 890 Adventure S

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #21

Here’s the TW200

Found a photo of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.98 MB