Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2024, 12:51 AM   #1

Question Calpet, WY...Tourist Destination?

What do you guys think? If there were Chinabikes/quads, shotguns and .22's for target shooting, trails for DAYS and lakes/rivers within riding distance, would you spend some money to come stay for a weekend or longer? Guided trail rides or take off on your own. Also thinking of pitching an off-road RC track and a RC runway for airplanes, so you can try your hand at that if you wanted.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

John 2:15 So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; He scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

Old 10-26-2024, 08:04 AM   #2

Some factors: attractiveness, accessibility, amenities, cost.

-- What is the draw to come to this very remote location? It seems like these activities can be done in lots of places that are more convenient. Plus given the cold winters, these would be seasonal activities, unlike say in the southern US. So less income.
-- How much money would you be willing to sink into this project? Looks like a big gamble, high risk for very questionable reward.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle. Nope, finally retired.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 10-26-2024, 03:35 PM   #3

The fair weather folk would be the assumed demographic, but there are quite a few people in Colorado/Montana/Idaho that enjoy winter powersports like none other. Snow-mobile nut cases. Spiked tires on a Chinabike and some circle track racing could be a big draw. Cross country skiing course biathlon style with the shooting. They already have a pretty big crowd for the fat tire bicycle racing.

Horse riding ranches nearby, and of course Yellowstone. It's hard to put into words or even video what it's like to be in such a wide open space. Sure, the activities can be done anywhere and that's not really the draw. Yellowstone gets a TON of visitors...I'm looking to siphon off as many of those as possible. Give people a 2nd option BESIDES Yellowstone. Bit of a "build it and they will come" kinda deal. I'm looking for a philanthropist to pitch it to, lol Maybe this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Kroenke

John 2:15 So He made a whip out of cords and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; He scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

Old 10-26-2024, 08:59 PM   #4

I think the biggest headache you'd have is getting California Petroleum to sell you the land.
Then there's always the question of whether you really want clueless tourists riding your favorite unpopulated trails?
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 10-26-2024, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Bit of a "build it and they will come" kinda deal.
I thought of that phrase too. All I will say is research it carefully, talk to smart businessmen and investors, to gauge the feasibility of this venture. Hate to see you lose a ton of bucks on what might prove to be unworkable or risky. Venture capitalists are not gamblers; they like to invest in a sure thing or as close to that as they can manage.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle. Nope, finally retired.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #6

I have "dabbled" in creating a business plan and helped to successfully bring a non-profit RC airplane club into existence. Really hoping some billionaire will hear about it and go, "$250,000.00 is all? I make that before I roll out of bed. Where's my checkbook?"

How does one even go about getting a meeting with a billionaire? lol

I realize it's kinda silly and hair-brained, but this is something that would motivate me to work...maybe even work HARD! The weird thing is I keep seeing a big OHV park in my head and people ripping around every time I go out there. An offroad RC track like the one in my video...an RC airfield (nicely paved runway with cross-wind runway), modeled after the Big Piney/Marbleton airport...target shooting range...clay pigeon area...archery...maybe something like a summer camp.

I appreciate your input. Thank you for taking it seriously.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_MO View Post
I think the biggest headache you'd have is getting California Petroleum to sell you the land.
Then there's always the question of whether you really want clueless tourists riding your favorite unpopulated trails?
Yeah, there's no way they're selling, but maybe lease strictly for outdoor activities (no mining, drilling, etc.). There are still operations happening out there, just not as big as it used to be, clearly. Another draw is the Calpet Rock Shelter, which I have yet to locate.

Right now, there's NOBODY riding trails around here. Wait, I saw ONE guy when I went to Sacajawea Campground who was riding an adventure bike. Sooo many trails...seems kinda selfish to hog it all.

Like, have you ever been in a wide open space on a pretty serious trail, come up a hill and around a corner that opens up onto even more, wider open space? For me, it hit me hard in the chesticles and I got all watery in my eyes and HAD to pull over. I absolutely LIVE for moments like that.

Oh, another thing I was thinking is I would apply to be an MSF instructor and get that going as well.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #8

Nothing wrong with having a dream or big idea like that Dan , spend some time figuring out what you can on your own (don’t spend any money though ) and see if you can figure out how to make it work .Often what ruins things like this is noise and people moving into the area ,from what I can see you won’t have issues with that for a long time ,if ever .I don’t know anything about its current owner ,but up here we have mining operations with large tracts of land like that ,and often those companies don’t want to pay taxes on them when they are not using them ,so they will be happy to find someone with an alternative use to use and maintain it ,they just might work with you on a rental agreement .They are not in the land business ,they are in the _____? business and that’s what they want to spend money and effort on ,not dealing with vacant land issues .

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #9

Thanks, man. I'm beginning to realize it's not a bad thing to have a reason to get up in the morning, work-wise. Ever since discovering this little abandoned neighborhood, it has been eating at me. First order of business is to talk to the rangers at the local office in Pinedale. They might know where the Rock Shelter is and will probably point me in the right direction as far as who to talk to about renting/leasing land out there.