Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #1

2020 hawk 17,000 miles

2020 hawk dlx Bike has been hesitating, Surging, And Some pops and backfires when coasting and putting a little throttle into it, and I’m only getting about 7000 miles on my rear tires. On all street driving Is that normal?

Last edited by weiser23; Yesterday at 09:40 AM. Reason: Didn’t put dlx

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #2

I have a 2022 DLX with roughly 2700 miles on the odometer. I get a little popping pretty regularly, backfires not so much. I do seem to have a slight hiccup in the fuel system, but it hasn't really been a problem and I've just accepted this as a quirk of the machine.

I'm assuming with 17k miles, you've done valve adjustments and other maintenance on the air and fuel system. Might be a good idea to scrutinize the wiring and vacuum lines.

As for tire wear, there are many factors that play a roll. I have Kenda Trackmasters that are DOT approved knobbies. Thee rear is 1/2 wore out after only 1500 miles, but it's a softer tire geared for the trail more than the asphalt.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #3

Means your idle runs too lean.
Another way to reduce backfire when coasting, is slightly increase idle rpm, or, if you're lucky enough to have a separate pilot jet AF screw, use that.

Old Today, 12:11 AM   #4

Is the fuel fresh? Old fuel can sometimes cause those symptoms if it is degraded enough. If not, then add fresh gas. If it is fresh, check to make sure you don't have water in your fuel.

If none of the above, check to make sure you don't have an intake leak. Cracked intake boot between the throttle body and head is a likely source, or maybe just a loose bolt somewhere on the intake side.

If the PAIR system is still in place and you have an aftermarket exhaust, it will also cause lots of after-fire (exhaust pops) as well. In that case, remove it an block off the hole in the head at the exhaust port with a simple plate and some exhaust gasket material or home made copper gasket. If you do have an aftermarket exhaust on your DLX, the bike will definitely run even more on the lean side than it already does, and they are tuned to be very lean stock.

7k miles isn't unusual for most motorcycle rear tires. Just depends on the tire type. With off-road tires the more aggressive the tire, the faster it tends to wear. Even a street tire will maybe last 10-12k miles at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Means your idle runs too lean.
Another way to reduce backfire when coasting, is slightly increase idle rpm, or, if you're lucky enough to have a separate pilot jet AF screw, use that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiser23 View Post
2020 hawk dlx
It's an EFI bike.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; Today at 05:27 AM.

Old Today, 05:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

It's an EFI bike.
Dan is implying that there is no airscrew on an EFI equipped motorcycle, and the Hawk DLX has EFI. Fuel/air mixture screw is a carburetor feature, typically obscured with a plug on new bikes (EPA regulation).

The air/fuel mix screw can be on either side of the slide tower. If it is between the slide and the airbox, it is typically an airscrew (opening/counterclockwise leans out the pilot circuit). If it is between the tower and the intake plenum/manifold, it is typically a fuel mixture adjustment (opening/counterclockwise enriches the pilot circuit).

Old Today, 05:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Dan is implying that there is no airscrew on an EFI equipped motorcycle, and the Hawk DLX has EFI. Fuel/air mixture screw is a carburetor feature, typically obscured with a plug on new bikes (EPA regulation).

The air/fuel mix screw can be on either side of the slide tower. If it is between the slide and the airbox, it is typically an airscrew (opening/counterclockwise leans out the pilot circuit). If it is between the tower and the intake plenum/manifold, it is typically a fuel mixture adjustment (opening/counterclockwise enriches the pilot circuit).
Not implying, stating the truth. Fueling on an EFI bike has no mechanical adjustment. If the fuel is good and doesn't have any water in it then symptoms of lean conditions will come from an air leak somewhere after the throttle blade.

I should have also asked, but didn't think about it at the time, but have the valves been checked recently? I assumed you've done so since you have 5 digit mileage, but it never hurts to ask lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124