Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2024, 06:52 PM   #1

GY6 stock carb jetting for 171cc BBK

Installing a 171cc bbk on my Tao Tao 150cc scooter with stock exhaust and carb. What is the recommended jet size for stock carb with upgrade to 171cc bbk for typical conditions in NJ (not high altitude). I purchased a small kit of main jets with many different sized but don't know where to start? Thank you for your help

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #2

You did not indicate what you have now. Most 150cc scoots will come with an 88-95 main.

A 20cc jump is not that big a change in air/fuel processing. You will get a microscopic torque increase but any well tuned 150 GY6 is already pushing red line at WOT acceleration in traffic on a regular basis.

If you have not taken your engine apart already you might surprise yourself by trying the carb work first. you may decide the "big bore kit" makes 20cc not worth the effort. The big increase in the BBK is when applied to a 125cc scoot. That gives you a whole moped worth of improvement!

If you have stripped the cat I would start at a 105 jet and move up or down as needed. 105 was where backfiring stopped my upward progress. 105 worked, 110 was too rich.

If a 105 is too much you will know it immediately. Over fueling a GY6 gives instant backfiring due to excess unburned fuel being ignited in the muffler.

Most important thing will be tuning the carb after the jet change. Get your fastest idle on the A/F screw and back the idle down with the throttle stop screw. When the back wheel is just barely moving at idle you are about right.

Old Today, 08:01 AM   #3

Thank you very much for the information. I put a gear up kit in last month and gained 3 miles an hour on flat ground and lost 2 miles an hour uphill. I was hoping the extra 20 cc to a 61 mm would give me that extra 3 to 4 miles an hour from stock to keep people off my tail. So frustrating when cars wanna run on your tail and your maxed out at 52 miles an hour or so. Thanks again your help is greatly appreciated. I intend to make no changes to the muffler and changes to the car limited to jets. I’m just trying to get an extra 3 to 4 miles an hour and keep it quiet.

Old Today, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanhat View Post
Thank you very much for the information. I put a gear up kit in last month and gained 3 miles an hour on flat ground and lost 2 miles an hour uphill. I was hoping the extra 20 cc to a 61 mm would give me that extra 3 to 4 miles an hour from stock to keep people off my tail. So frustrating when cars wanna run on your tail and your maxed out at 52 miles an hour or so. Thanks again your help is greatly appreciated. I intend to make no changes to the muffler and changes to the car limited to jets. I’m just trying to get an extra 3 to 4 miles an hour and keep it quiet.
An extra 3 or 4 mph over what a 150cc can do is about what I observe from my 169cc scooter. It does a pretty solid 55 mph without a windshield and 60 mph with windshield. Can't help with jetting suggestions since mine is EFI.