Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #1

Had some time today to really dig into the speedometer issue on my Templar X. Seems it's a combination of a sluggish sensor and weak magnets in the front brake rotor.

The speedometer display sends a 3.5VDC signal on the red wire to the sensor, the sensor is just a tiny reed switch that closes when the magnets pass in front of it. When the switch in the sensor closes, the low voltage signal is returned to the speedometer display on the green wire.

I adjusted the sensor to where it was almost rubbing the face of the magnets as they passed in front of it and got little to no reaction from the sensor on my multimeter. Pulled the sensor and took a strong parts retrieval magnet from my toolbox and tapped the face of the sensor with it, after a few taps the sensor came to life and would close the circuit when the magnet passed in front of it. Put everything back together, adjusted the sensor to about a .050" gap from the magnets and took the bike for a rip. Holding the bike at a steady speed , the speedometer would occasionally drop out and come back. Got back home and decided to check the magnets in the rotor and found that all three are very weak magnets, strong enough to attract metal but not strong enough to even hold a 4mm, 1/4" drive socket to the face of them.

Sent all my findings to PSM and we'll see what they'll do.. But, I got it working well enough to get this rascal thru a safety inspection.

2024 Templar 250 X
2018 Nissan Frontier (work truck)
2006 Ford F-150 Crew cab (play truck)
1973 Century Resorter 16 (Floating Muscle Car)