Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2024, 09:35 AM   #1

Question TAT on a KPX?

The TAT has been done on many different types of bikes. But has anyone here ever done it on a KPX250? The eastern section should be easy, but I would like to know how the bike performs on the western section, loaded with gear.

Old 09-23-2024, 09:54 PM   #2

I bet it would do great. I'm hoping to do various BDR routes with my templar.
GasGas TXT 125

Old 09-23-2024, 10:25 PM   #3

While I haven't done any BDRs, I crossed nearly paths with section 1 of the WA BDR and saw the kind of terrain it has. My xpect, the little brother to your KPX, did absolutely perfect on that kind of terrain, and from the pictures I'm looking at I bet your KPX and it's 6th gear would fare even better! With these smaller dualsports, it is really the open highway to be concerned about, rather than the mud and dirt roads, which they excel at.
? Honda CRF100F
? Honda CRF70
Honda/Suzuki 50cc Kids Bikes

Old 09-24-2024, 08:24 AM   #4

some crazy dudes have done the TAT end to end on a Honda Trail 125. I gotta think the KPX would be a better ride than that. They may have had to alter their route a bit though as I believe some of the inclines, particularly in Colorado were more than the little bikes had power. I believe they had to push-assist in some cases.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 09-24-2024, 07:33 PM   #5

I think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikd View Post
I bet it would do great. I'm hoping to do various BDR routes with my templar.

I think that it would do well, and I KNOW that your Templar would!

Old 09-24-2024, 07:38 PM   #6

Lighter is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideoutadv View Post
While I haven't done any BDRs, I crossed nearly paths with section 1 of the WA BDR and saw the kind of terrain it has. My xpect, the little brother to your KPX, did absolutely perfect on that kind of terrain, and from the pictures I'm looking at I bet your KPX and it's 6th gear would fare even better! With these smaller dualsports, it is really the open highway to be concerned about, rather than the mud and dirt roads, which they excel at.

That is true, the relative lightness of our machines (As opposed to the large ADV bikes out there.) would be and asset off-road for sure. Not sure how much of the TAT is highway, but that would be slow going fully loaded down. I'll have to look into just how much of the route is highway.

Have a good one!

Old 09-24-2024, 07:45 PM   #7

Hard going on a 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
some crazy dudes have done the TAT end to end on a Honda Trail 125. I gotta think the KPX would be a better ride than that. They may have had to alter their route a bit though as I believe some of the inclines, particularly in Colorado were more than the little bikes had power. I believe they had to push-assist in some cases.

I think I did see that somewhere. Some fellows went to the top of Alaska on a pair of Honda trail bikes as well a little while ago. A vintage 90 and a new 125 as I remember it.

Still, the TAT on a 125 would be a lot more work then it needs to be! Feeling better about our KPX's!

Cheers!

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #8

Thanks for posting this. I knew nothing about TAT and was forced to look it up. There is an area close to me. I'm thinking I have to go check it out, now!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAT Wyoming.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	32013  

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I knew nothing about TAT and was forced to look it up. There is an area close to me. I'm thinking I have to go check it out, now!
You definitely should, even if just a small portion of it. As I understand they continue to build on the TAT, trying to make it into a loop around the country.

There's a part near me here in NC, but some controversy around it. There's a guy called GPSKevin who has taken some of the original TAT routes and expanded on them and is selling them. Kevin has a portion of his TAT which starts in eastern NC and passes my place about 10 miles north of my house. The only real problem is that much of NC east of me is very boring and nothing to be considered "ADV". 50 miles past me it starts to get interesting as it climbs into the mountains.

if you can get out to the trail in your area, report back to us. I'd love to hear how it goes!

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #10

Wow, peaked my interest too. Looks like it also runs through, not far from me, in Eastern TN/NC. I'll have to check it out.

Old Today, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Wow, peaked my interest too. Looks like it also runs through, not far from me, in Eastern TN/NC. I'll have to check it out.
You might want to check out the Smokey Mountain 500 track. it covers eastern TN, western NC and North GA. you wouldn't have to do all of it, but would help to identify some good day rides near you.

for everyone, there's also a "BDR" series of rides all over the country. BDR stands for Backcountry Discovery Route. In my area there is the MABDR (Mid Atlantic BDR), and a new one, the Chatahoochee BDR-X. As I understand, there is a South East BDR under development.

There's web sites and also facebook pages for them. Also, you can probably find a lot of good info and tracks at ADVRider.com it's a HUGE community.

https://ridebdr.com/
https://advtracks.online/tracks/view...y_mountain_500

Can you tell I've thought about this stuff way too much?

Old Today, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post

You are quite welcome! It looks like it would be a fun trail to ride, especially out west. Even the wife wants to ride that trail.

Note to all the guys who would like to get their wives interested in motorcycles, introduce her to Itchy Boots on YouTube. It worked for me! (Not on purpose, but I'll take it!)

Old Today, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule6 View Post
You are quite welcome! It looks like it would be a fun trail to ride, especially out west. Even the wife wants to ride that trail.

Note to all the guys who would like to get their wives interested in motorcycles, introduce her to Itchy Boots on YouTube. It worked for me! (Not on purpose, but I'll take it!)
you might also introduce her to this couple: https://www.youtube.com/@LaviandOllie

they did a RTW trip two-up on a Vstrom, but recently she started riding her own bike. They are in the process of riding the Trans-European-Trail that runs through England.

Old Today, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
you might also introduce her to this couple: https://www.youtube.com/@LaviandOllie

they did a RTW trip two-up on a Vstrom, but recently she started riding her own bike. They are in the process of riding the Trans-European-Trail that runs through England.

Glad to hear about them! I did not know about a Trans-European Trail. Might have to put that on the bucket list. Watching these people ride online really makes you want to get out there and ride far away. It also makes you want another bike usually!

Old Today, 07:24 PM   #15

You have thought about it a lot! But never too much!

Quote:
You might want to check out the Smokey Mountain 500 track. it covers eastern TN, western NC and North GA. you wouldn't have to do all of it, but would help to identify some good day rides near you.

for everyone, there's also a "BDR" series of rides all over the country. BDR stands for Backcountry Discovery Route. In my area there is the MABDR (Mid Atlantic BDR), and a new one, the Chatahoochee BDR-X. As I understand, there is a South East BDR under development.

There's web sites and also facebook pages for them. Also, you can probably find a lot of good info and tracks at ADVRider.com it's a HUGE community.

https://ridebdr.com/
https://advtracks.online/tracks/view...y_mountain_500

Can you tell I've thought about this stuff way too much?

Good info! the only thing i could wish for would be more time off of work!

Thanks again

Tags
kpx, kpx250, tat