Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2024, 07:09 AM   #1

Tubeless spoked rim upgrade/installation

I am planning to purchase an XR150L later this year (I've ridden my dad's for some time before he replaced it with a CB150X). I initially wanted a CSC TT250 or a Hawk 250 but CSC doesn't ship outside of US and Amazon shipping costs make them less viable than just going to the local Honda dealership (XR150L in here costs 1700 USD MSRP).

That said, I'm a planner kind of guy and once I purchase the bike I wanted the ability to go tubeless without the lack of repairability of mag/alloy wheels. I found there are two solutions to this:

1. Convert rim to tubeless - I could apply sealant to the nipple heads on the rimbed and apply tape, but the resulting lack of spoke adjustability on-the-fly is undesirable to me. Tubliss also seems like a faff and is expensive for me.

2. Purchase rims with external nipple holes - Likely plug and play, no mess, no fuss. I am very much onboard with this.

Now, a couple of options:

2a. Kineo Wheels - It uses some kind of barrel-nut-esque design for the spoke ends. Probably VERY expensive. From what I've gathered, they didn't show any compatibility towards any of Honda's dual-sport and dirtbike models.

2b. Trials bike rims - Very simple but I would likely for the life of me not be able to obtain one. Most sites I've seen that offer them are from UK.

2c. BMW rim design - they actually made the rim flange thicker and in a triangular cross section shape, with the spoke holes drilled on the outside faces. It also adds the perk of being able to replace spokes without removing the tire.

I pretty much gravitated to 2c since while digging up I also found "clones" of such rim design.

One is a "VMX" branded wheel. It comes in a set of already built wheels and costs an arm and a leg imo. The other is just the rim (which would be nice since I prefer to keep using the stock hubs), but it's sold on Alibaba and had a minimum of 20 pcs order. That said, it does seem to offer selling samples of maximum 2 rims for 90USD inc. shipping to Philippines.

I wonder if anyone also explored on this? Any thoughts? Opinions?

Sorry for the lengthy post, it's my first time here. Thanks.

Tags
aftermarket, rim, spoke, tubeless, wheels