Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 01:31 AM   #1

Starting issue

Hey everyone so I’m new to all this but just purchased a 2023 250cc CXR rode it twice then had to go out of town for a couple days due to a hurricane coming through. When I returned to what seemed like hell I went to go for a ride, got on the bike went to start it up and noticed it wouldn’t stop cranking and then the battery started to blow up. I quickly disconnected the battery just in time. I then ordered a new battery and when I went to connect it the bike started to want to crank up automatically and without the keys even in it. Did the starter go out and do I need to replace that? I looked online to try and find what I may need but my second question is do I need a 9 or 11 tooth starter. If that’s even the issue. I just want to get back to riding it

Old Today, 03:46 AM   #2

Starter solenoid (relay) is stuck. Or the starter button is stuck pressed. Follow the heavy wire back from the starter. It goes straight to the starter solenoid.

The starter button powers the solenoid with low amperage 12V when you press it. The solenoid responds by connecting the battery to the starter (high amperage).

On the Templars, the starter button can stick if the screw holding it onto the handlebar is overtightened.

You can also disconnect the 12V wire from the starter button (switched) where it connects on the solenoid. If this stops the problem, then it is the starter button sticking, not the solenoid. If the starter keeps running even with the starter button wire disconnected, then you solenoid is stuck.

Another way to verify if the solenoid is stuck is with a voltmeter (set to ohmeter function). The two big poles on the solenoid will show zero resistance if the solenoid is stuck.

Old Today, 03:52 AM   #3

Oh, even without the key in it! This means the solenoid/relay is stuck! The starter button is not powered unless the key is turned on. My bad. Sorry
Get a new starter relay