Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 02:34 AM   #16

Just because a Chinese bike is sold for $2k, doesn't mean you are going to pay $2k.
There's shipping, taxes, title transfer, tag and registration.
All these fees get added to the Chinese bikes.
Additionally, many lower quality bikes may need mods to get them to work right, while a Honda is pretty much straight out the door.

Resale value of Chinese bikes is non existent.
Many people buy their China bikes and want to get 90% of their sales price or more. Dem loonies!

Longevity, Japanese bikes last longer than Chinese bikes, and are made with.better materials that don't need upgrading.

I agree on the high new price for bikes, however you can find plenty of second hand bikes for a low price, as low as a new Chinese bike, for a much better bike.

If you're the kind of person who likes working on his bike, is ok with wrenching 60%, riding 40% in the first few weeks, a china bike is probably good for you.
Though Lifan bikes are almost as good as Japanese bikes, they still need rust proofing, bolt loctiting, and minor part upgrades.

Old Today, 08:01 AM   #17

At the end, would you say 4,000 sunk into a China Bike is about the normal price of one?

I only ask because I would have to go through the song and dance with an XR150 in getting a new carb, new airbox, doing a ton of mods anyway, right? I know they have some shortcomings of their own. Plus, OTD for an XR150L right now if I went to a dealership is 4,100.

I'm never going to find one of these used at a reasonable price, I've come to that conclusion a while ago. Anything remotely in the XR150s class right now I've seen go for ~$4K used where I'm at. TW200s for 4K used are not uncommon. That's almost the price of a new one from the dealership, all titles and tags taken care of.

If that really is the entry price then maybe a new rider like me should just bite the bullet on a new bike from the dealer. I'm okay with a wrench but I am getting this to ride first and foremost.

Old Today, 09:10 AM   #18

Don't forget to factor in the cost of riding gear. It adds up quick and like it or not, it is part of the equation.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Custom cutting board skid plate
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the
superior strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68
mph (so far)

Old Today, 09:26 AM   #19

There are a ton of good bikes around the $2000.00 mark .

Old Today, 09:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
There are a ton of good bikes around the $2000.00 mark .
Maybe it's just a seasonal thing because I've been waiting close to 5-ish months now? The only bikes I've seen in this price range are these China bikes and dirtbikes. This is including the used market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do©Hawk View Post
Don't forget to factor in the cost of riding gear. It adds up quick and like it or not, it is part of the equation.
I am perfectly fine with adding in the cost of riding gear, of all the things I will skimp on; safety is not one of them.
I just find the current state of the name-brand market kind of silly. The XR150 is close to a 45% dealer markup.