Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2024, 06:52 PM   #1

Raven 250 crash

I'm writing this thread to inform you of an accident I was in today on my 2023 Raven 250. I was riding with no gear other than a helmet, going 55 MPH on a main road. I noticed shortly into my ride a rattling noise and didn't think much of it. I rode a few miles after first hearing the noise and was thrown off the bike. I sustained significant injury to myself. I have road rash on nearly every part of me and have a fractured glenoid cavity on my scapula. This accident was caused by the swing arm bolt coming out, causing the back end to get thrown out to the side. I would like to remind you of the importance of wearing gear at all times, no matter how short the ride is. I'm lucky to be alive at 19 years old with such a great accident. I will let this be a lesson to me and you on how important it is to wear gear and inspect your bike before each ride. I have attached a picture of the bike a few minutes after the crash. Please ride safely!

https://imgur.com/jXBH6ic

Old 06-23-2024, 07:00 PM   #2

I am not trying to shit on you ,but this is exactly why in every thread about somebodies new bike we say to locktite everything on these bikes . The factories are not bothering to assemble things correctly ,and they are built at such a low price point that the hardware is usually crap .

Old 06-23-2024, 08:16 PM   #3

I think it should be illegal to sell bikes "90% mounted PDI done", without using loctite. The engine and transmission usually is good. It's most of the time the companies that buy those engine/transmissions, and put it in their bike frames, that are cutting corners.

I once had something as insignificant as my horn fall into my forks, preventing them to turn as far as they should, nearly causing me to crash.
All it takes is a serious accident, and a lawsuit for these practices to disappear.

In my opinion, you either should buy the bike from the factory without PDI, and do everything yourself, or, get it "90% done with PDI" and receive a bike that's really 90% done, and not 50%.

Old 06-23-2024, 09:46 PM   #4

All of these vendors have clear language regarding completion of build and setup. They specifically say it needs to be done by a professional. They are off the hook.

But my sympathy goes to OP. It's a hard way to have his experience ruined. Good luck on the healing. I am not the only one. We all wish you speedy recovery.

Old 06-23-2024, 09:48 PM   #5

Was that the axel bolt? Swingarm bolts are typically held by nylon locking bolts, and usually a plastic cap over the recess to keep it clean..

Old 06-23-2024, 11:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Was that the axel bolt? Swingarm bolts are typically held by nylon locking bolts, and usually a plastic cap over the recess to keep it clean..

I haven't had a good look at it as I've been trying to recover, but I was able to record this video of the bike. I'm pretty sure I used loctite on the bolt, but it was just the blue loctite.

https://imgur.com/a/YJ9vaVs

Old 06-24-2024, 04:59 AM   #7

I'm glad you're okay despite the injuries. Thanks for sharing your story and the photo. It's a strong reminder for all of us to gear up properly and give our bikes a thorough check before hitting the road.

Old 06-24-2024, 07:13 AM   #8

Yeah, I read this post and headed to the garage with a cup of coffee and a torque wrench. Speedy recovery nickp....

Old 06-24-2024, 08:52 AM   #9

It does look like the front of the swingarm is askew, but the video is moving too fast and that part of the video is less than a second. Swingarm bolt is a really stable part. They do use locking nylon insert bolts there. I wonder about welding? Something failed. THe idea that the bolt actually came out is hard to envision.

Old 06-24-2024, 11:23 AM   #10

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope you recover quickly and fully. Definitely an odd failure.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 06-24-2024, 03:31 PM   #11

It was the swingarm bolt. That has happend before on a few bikes in the past,the swingarm bolts have snapped the heads off the bolts. People have replaced the bolt with one for aTT250 fromCSC. The TT250 bolt has a nut on both sides instead of just one. Recover quick hopefully.

Old 06-24-2024, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
It was the swingarm bolt. That has happend before on a few bikes in the past,the swingarm bolts have snapped the heads off the bolts. People have replaced the bolt with one for aTT250 fromCSC. The TT250 bolt has a nut on both sides instead of just one. Recover quick hopefully.
I'm hoping this bolt works on the Hawk. Do you happen to know?

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 06-25-2024, 03:02 PM   #13

I saw a post on Reddit from a Hawk owner that claimed to replace a Hawk broken swingarm bolt with one made for a Honda CRF 230.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)