Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2024, 09:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do©Hawk View Post
I'm one of those noobs. I'm trying to figure my shit out. Sometimes I just blurt out thoughts especially when the topic is relatable. I apologize for making things confusing.

I deleted my previous post.
I can't be sure, but I don't think he was referring to you or me. If he was, well, that's just downright passive aggressive.

I used to censor my thoughts...until I realized I was censoring my thoughts. Now I just let 'em fly and if I'm wrong, no sweat. I've never had a problem admitting when I'm wrong. It's the only way we learn, is it not?

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 06-24-2024, 10:10 AM   #32

No way...You guys aren't new !

And you don't come off as punching above your grade. The main reasons I try to stick to stuff I have clue about is that I won't mislead folks and make a fool out of myself, and I don't want to contribute to the confusion. I delete my mistakes if they turn out to be stupid

Opinions and suggestions are fine, but a couple of these new members spout off like they are certified motorcycle mechanics with decades of experience, even while they don't even know the difference between a valve and a carb slide! Teenagers probably.

Old 06-24-2024, 12:27 PM   #33

I'm never afraid to admit that I'm wrong. It happens often.

I posted my relatable problem, but named parts incorrectly, then added a picture and was wrong about what it was...I figured all this out on my own after my post. It was better off deleted to avoid more confusion.
I am not a mechanic and certainly not an engineer so while I know enough to "git'r'dun", I don't always convey it well. I was completely new to motorcycles less than a year ago. I am enthusiastic about it though.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 06-24-2024, 03:52 PM   #34

If you never done nothing wrong,you never did anything.

Old 06-24-2024, 03:55 PM   #35

Everything I've learned about carburetors started about 3 years ago when I inherited an old lawn mower that needed the carb cleaned. All I did was pull it apart, clean it, and put it back together. Bam, she worked. That and an air filter replacement. Still running to this day.

Then I bought the Hawk almost one year ago and studied hard and got the Nibbi dialed in pretty good. She's a little rich on the main jet, but I'm ok with that for now. Just about due for an oil change and I'm switching to Valvoline Full Synthetic Motorcycle 4-Stroke 10W-40. Hoping that will help out the clutch but will order the springs just to have them on hand.

I wouldn't even know to do that, or the fork oil change, if it wasn't for this place and some YouTube videos. I am very grateful for the knowledge shared.

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 06-25-2024, 09:18 AM   #36

I'm enjoying the advice column this post turned into. That's my big grief with the dandanthefireman discord chat I'm on, one person asks a simple question and gets 30 competing answers. I do my best to only share something that I personally had experience with, and still you get snarky comments like "good for you, want a cookie?" when you're just telling a new rider what speed you change gears at. And pretty much anything I've learned about how a motorcycle works has came from here.

That covers my wrenching questions, DDFM videos covers the cognitive stage of burning images of thousands of crashes and close calls into my brain, which have for sure saved my butt more than once.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
If you never done nothing wrong,you never did anything.
That reminds of one of the greatest quotes I ever heard at a 12 step meeting.

"If you don't do nothin', won't nothin' happen."
-Ray P. with like 127 years sober