Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #1

KPX 250 Handguard (Bark Buster) Install Instructions

Not sure if this has been covered in detail before. Let me know if I'm beating a dead horse.

So I’ve just recently installed some full-wrap handguards to my Lifan KPX 250, and wanted to share the installation process with anyone else considering it. There's lots of install videos and articles for handguards, but the KPX seems to need a few extra steps. It’s not a quick and easy installation, but not particularly difficult. Just tedious, having to be careful and steady. I made some mistakes and spent extra trips to the hardware store so you don’t have to. Even took some picture to illustrate the process.

I installed these, as suggested by Jerry:
https://www.amazon.com/JFG-RACING-Ha.../dp/B07H2SGM16
These fit right for the KPX with minimal persuasion, but the hardware that comes with it is rubbish. The screws and bolts too short to have adequate engagement once everything is installed. So make a trip to the hardware store for the stuff listed below.

I originally tried this style, but they will NOT fit:
https://www.amazon.com/JFG-RACING-Bl.../dp/B073LJV4K1
They’re too short in the front to clear the levers, too wide for the clamps to line up with the handlebars, and the expansion inserts won’t work for stock handlebars. However, they look to fit the Hawk 250 from install videos I've seen.

Things you will need:
Metric hex (Allen) keys and crescent wrenches
Power drill
17/32” drill bit (make sure it fits your drill, anything above ½” tends to have wider shanks)
Choice of lubricating oil for you drill bit
Brake cleaner
Shop towels/rags
Air compressor with blow gun
Box cutter/ utility knife
Impact screwdriver, like this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-...ase-64812.html
Hammer (a good and heavy one)

Hardware:
4x M5x0.80 25mm socket head screws
2x M8x1.25 80mm bolts
4x ¼” washers (they fit thru the M8 bolts, and slightly cheaper)
2x M8x1.25 socket head screws or bolts (I used the extra ones that came with the bike for the handlebars, not sure how long they are)

Optional:
Loctite
Silicone sealant
New grips (7/8” clutch side, 1” throttle side)

First step is to butcher your grips. You’ll either want to cut the ends off to be flush with the handlebar ends using the box cutter. Or, you can try cutting just a hole in the end as the expansion inserts will provide extra width to space the handguards away from the handlebar ends. I had pulled mine off first before doing so, but might be a cleaner cut if you do it with it on. If you were planning to replace your grips with some other model, this is the chance to install them. Some open end ones will save you from some of this work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grip end.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	774.7 KB
ID:	32057
For the throttle side, you’ll have to undo the throttle to get the tube off and cut the end. You can do so carefully with the box cutter, or use a stepper drill bit. You can then re-assemble the throttle, and actually move it closer towards the starter controls as there should’ve been some gap between them previously.

Next step is to remove the handlebar weights inside the ends. Allegedly these help for vibration, but hopefully the handguards will pick up the slack. To remove them, use the impact screwdriver with the flat-head bit and a heavy hammer to loosen them. They’re loctited in, and won’t budge by hand alone. May have to put your weight on the foot peg of the side your working on. They should thread out easy once loosened. Discard or save them in the garage junk bucket.
PS. Their thread is M14x1.50.

Name:	Bar weight.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	32058

Next step is the point of no-return, so prepare yourself, for you are about to drill into your handlebars. The expansion inserts that come with the handguards require more depth past the handlebar internal threads, which are also a hair too small in diameter. The “sleeve” that goes over the insert can be discarded, as it’s meant for larger handlebars. The expansion insert seems to be 13mm (0.5118”) in diameter, so the 17/32” (0.53125”) drill bit is needed to get a wide enough hole. I tried just using a ½” bit initially, but it wasn’t quite enough, and you don’t want to try wobbling on this. A 33/64” (0.515625”) may get a better snug fit if you can find one, but the 17/32” worked fine.

Setup your drill, noting the required depth. You will need to drill far enough to clear the expansion insert AND the cone nut that will come in from the end. So do a quick mock up of both and the bolt to measure. (I forgot to write it down, ended up eyeballing using a mark on the drill bit). Turn your handlebars toward whichever side you are working on so shavings and junk don’t fall into the center of the tube. When you have steeled yourself, apply some lube to your drill bit, and start drilling. Check regularly to make sure you’re drilling true to center. Your drill will likely catch on the threads until you work past them. The metal these handlebars are made from isn’t particularly strong and drills easily, so it should only take a few minutes to reach the required depth. When you’re done, you can clean up the inside by using the air compressor and blow gun to blow air from the opposite side thru the bars. May want to put a shop towel or rag over the end to catch shavings, as I had many go everywhere. Finish cleaning with some brake cleaner, a wipe of the shop towel, and one more blow for good measure.
NOTE: Drill both sides BEFORE you go on to the next step to install the guards. That way you can blow air from wither end to clean up.

If the inserts fit, we can start installing, but should do a loose fit check first. I ended up bending the inside end of the handguard bar outward slightly in order to make them line up with the bar clamps. The clamps won’t sit flush to the handle bars, as they will be resting on the angled section that tapers from the 1-1/8” diameter base to the 7/8” ends where the grips/controls are. For bending, a good vise would help. But I don’t have one, so I put them in the closed end of a 27mm wrench and used the force.

Name:	Install 1.jpg
Size:	761.3 KB
ID:	32061

Assemble the new M8 bolt, washer, expansion insert, and cone nut (threaded snug to the insert) to the outside end of the handguard and insert it into the handlebar. If you want, add a bit of silicone sealant to the inside lip of the expansion insert before installing to keep any rain and moisture out. Adding some Loctite to all the fasteners here wouldn’t hurt either. Don’t final tighten anything yet, but tighten just enough to keep the handguard in place at the angle you want. I tried to angle mine so the lever was right behind the guard bar. Loosely assemble the clamp onto the handlebar using the new M5 capscrews, and the M8 capscrew and washer to fasten the handguard to the clamp. Start tightening the clamp down, making sure pressure is even and the plastic spacers don’t shift position. Once that’s done, tighten the front capscrew. Alignment may change here, so double check everything.

Name:	Clamp.jpg
Size:	701.4 KB
ID:	32062

Once that’s done, tighten the outside bolt. There’s no torque specs provided, so feel for when each fastener wants to stop. Make sure to say “Yup, that’s not going anywhere.” And congratulations, you're done!

Name:	Complete.jpg
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	32063