Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2024, 11:41 AM   #1

Head Scratching Victory, Defeat, and Adventure On the Wings of My Hawk DLX

I had extra time off this week so I took a ride to try to navigate some trails to a campsite along the Allegheny River I've only ever canoed to.

The ride to the area is a series of country roads that is 50/50 paved/dirt+gravel. I had an idea where the trails were and found them from the road easily. I knew the trails meandered through the woods for a while before snaking their way into the river valley. These were quad trails through the woods in addition to old logging trails carved into the steep hills. I had an idea about the trails, but had never been on them.

I followed the trails along the rim of the valley, then took the first opportunity on a trail carving downward toward the river. It didn't take long before I was stopping and scouting ahead on foot as I kept encountering obstacles, but there was enough room to turn around if I had to, so i pressed on.
Not too much later i got to a tree on the trail that I couldn't move or get around, so I had to turn around and climb back up toward the rim. That's when I started experiencing problems.

As I made my way back up the trail, I stalled (my own mistake). The Hawk started back up, but wasn't as easy as normal. Once the Hawk was running, I had difficulty getting it into first so I started off in 2nd, which worked, but I was afraid of stalling again and not being able sto start. I "found" first shortly after and made my way to the top of the hill. I decided instead of exploring more, I was gonna head out and home.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 07-05-2024, 12:02 PM   #2

As I made my way through the woods to get back to the road, I hesitate at a muddy spot and stall again(again, my fault). This time when I turn the key, it's dead. I don't know how far I still have to get to the road. Hope it's a fuse.....I busted out the tool kit and checked fuses and connections on the side, but no luck. It was hot and buggy in the woods, so I put the side panel back on and pushed that pig to the road. That sucked! So glad I made it up the hill 1st! Pushing that bike was work, but I got it to the road where there was a big pull-off. Luckily I had cell service, so I called my wife to give her a heads-up and my location in case she had to grab the ramps and bring my truck. She's never driven it and wasn't keen on the idea. I told her to let me try and sort out the problem.

Took the side panel back off fiddled with things, but it all looked good. Took the headlight housing off and fiddled with those wires and BAM! Got power again. Put it all back together and called my wife to tell her I was good. WRONG. Go to start the bike and nothing. At least I've narrowed it down.

Call the wife back and tell her. Take the headlight back off and figure some shit out in the 85°F with 90% humidity. Fluids pouring out of me as fast as I'm poring them in. Finally, I definitively find the issue. The wires from the key ignition got mangled in the steering stops. The black wire was nicked, but the red one was chewed up bad and didn't take much effort to break. I used my God given wire strippers to strip the broken ends and spliced the wires back together. Wrapped some of the wire sleeve around the splice and tucked it in. Checked and had power again. Put it back together and was able to ride home without issue.
strength!)

Old 07-05-2024, 12:22 PM   #3

Nice, glad you were able to trail repair. Took my Templar out this week on a solo, three day ride/camp trip. It was my first shake down ride for it. Did about 250 miles road and 100 miles dirt/gravel. Was nervous the whole time about breaking down 50 miles from nowhere. Bike did fine though and had a blast riding. Fuel was my problem. Had to do a 30 mile trip into the nearest town and bring back 2gal of gas after setting camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4006.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	31687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4015.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	31688  

Old 07-05-2024, 01:09 PM   #4

Excellent work! I am sure that you wish you had discovered it back on the trail, but it sounds like the rescue was going to be a nailbiter for your wife.

This also gave you the experience of getting it running, and realizing it was not a serious system fail, and the battery was just fine as well. Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do©Hawk View Post
As I made my way through the woods to get back to the road, I hesitate at a muddy spot and stall again(again, my fault). This time when I turn the key, it's dead. I don't know how far I still have to get to the road. Hope it's a fuse.....I busted out the tool kit and checked fuses and connections on the side, but no luck. It was hot and buggy in the woods, so I put the side panel back on and pushed that pig to the road. That sucked! So glad I made it up the hill 1st! Pushing that bike was work, but I got it to the road where there was a big pull-off. Luckily I had cell service, so I called my wife to give her a heads-up and my location in case she had to grab the ramps and bring my truck. She's never driven it and wasn't keen on the idea. I told her to let me try and sort out the problem.

Took the side panel back off fiddled with things, but it all looked good. Took the headlight housing off and fiddled with those wires and BAM! Got power again. Put it all back together and called my wife to tell her I was good. WRONG. Go to start the bike and nothing. At least I've narrowed it down.

Call the wife back and tell her. Take the headlight back off and figure some shit out in the 85°F with 90% humidity. Fluids pouring out of me as fast as I'm poring them in. Finally, I definitively find the issue. The wires from the key ignition got mangled in the steering stops. The black wire was nicked, but the red one was chewed up bad and didn't take much effort to break. I used my God given wire strippers to strip the broken ends and spliced the wires back together. Wrapped some of the wire sleeve around the splice and tucked it in. Checked and had power again. Put it back together and was able to ride home without issue.

Old 07-05-2024, 02:56 PM   #5

[QUOTE

Call the wife back and tell her. Take the headlight back off and figure some shit out in the 85°F with 90% humidity. Fluids pouring out of me as fast as I'm poring them in. Finally, I definitively find the issue. The wires from the key ignition got mangled in the steering stops. The black wire was nicked, but the red one was chewed up bad and didn't take much effort to break. I used my God given wire strippers to strip the broken ends and spliced the wires back together. Wrapped some of the wire sleeve around the splice and tucked it in. Checked and had power again. Put it back together and was able to ride home without issue.[/QUOTE]

Great report on the problem and how you fixed it! I believe all of us should examine the wiring around the fork neck especially and behind the headlight area. You know when we turn the fork too it’s stops, it’s usually maneuvering to park. I think that’s is when most wiring damage occurs.

Old 07-05-2024, 05:08 PM   #6

As a benefit, I have been studying the wire diagram as well as getting handsey with the wires and what they are for. The Hawk and I are getting intimately acquainted. I do think I'll add zip ties and electrical tape to the daily carry.
strength!)

Old 07-05-2024, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
I believe all of us should examine the wiring around the fork neck especially and behind the headlight area.
In all honesty, this was a problem I had probably created early on when I changed the front signals to LED's, but I'm glad I was able to solve the problem and still enjoy my ride home.
strength!)

Old 07-05-2024, 05:50 PM   #8

While you have that phone out to call wifey, snap a few "action" shots! ;-)

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-05-2024, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
While you have that phone out to call wifey, snap a few "action" shots! ;-)
You're right, I should have. I was in a bit of a contained, calm panic. I did take a single pic on my way home...after gnawing on wire to get going again. Hard to tell, but there is a rocky creek hiding in the shadows beyond the Hawk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240703_182730389.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	31689  
strength!)