View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
Also sounds like perhaps it got hot or oil starved... unsure if still stock carburetion and jets....?

Definitely something was wrong that lead to failure. They typically don't just go kablooey.

The clunk you heard could have been some debris getting into the cam and crank timing gears, which would have chewed those up and caused them to skip, leading to valve-piston timing obviously off, and then the collision between them.

Possibly? I dont exactly know the cause for certain. Oil was good, changed less than 1k miles ago iirc. Carbs been rejetted to a 110 main(on the richer side but its how I normally jet/ride my bikes). Oddly enough the last few times I rode it, I noticed it running cooler than usual (live in florida and was in the 50s rather than in the 80s or 90s. Engine wasnt over heated for sure, was able to take the oil cap off right after I broke down. Normally ride in shorts and dont notice the heat from the exhaust at all. I did notice the bottom of the piston was broken too, so mightve gotten into the crank timing gears yeah. Didnt bother to take apart the bottom end, but can if yall would like to know. Place I bought it from is a sending a new engine, just gotta wait for the new one. Hadnt messed with any of the bottom end at all since I bought it (besides oil changes), havent taken any of it appart.

1998 Suzuki Intruder VS800 (bobbed out)
2021 Sur Ron Lightbee Supermoto (Heavily modified up to 40hp peak)