Thread: Templar X 250
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #870

Cold weather starting on new carburetor jets

COLD WEATHER STARTING ON NEW CARBURETOR JETS

EDIT: Fuel is fresh 10% corn glue as dictated by the angry politicians. It is also treated with Sta-bil at the instructed amount on the label.

EDIT2: I realized I also heated the petcock with the hair dryer. Next time I encounter this issue I will only heat the petcock and leave the carburetor cold and see if that resolves it.

Yesterday was unusually warm. 76F.

Overnight was 32

This morning was also 32. So I got the chance to test out the carburetor and cold start when its freezing by dry outside.

And...... the bike didn't want to start

EDIT: Breaks taken in-between starts to allow the electric starter motor a chance to cool down and not overheat.

EDIT2: Before you reply, issue was subsequently tested and resolved in Post #872 in this thread:
https://chinariders.net/showpost.php...&postcount=872

• Full choke, nothing
  • Full choke, 1/8 throttle, nothing
  • Full choke, full throttle, nothing
  • Full choke, pump full throttle 10 times, try start button, nothing

Now I'm wodering if in all my wiring cleanup and cable cleanup did I not fully seat the brake switch. Brake lights work when front lever pulled, hold in the front brake, try again, nothing

Hmmm...

On a hunch I go grab my wifes hair dryer, I turned it on and made it nice and warm inside the carburetor space inside the frame.

Full choke, 1/8 throttle, starts! then sputters and quits

Oh my, temperature related starting issues... I wonder if I need to be like Thumper and move that pilot jet up to the #45 from my increase I already did to #42. @Thumper: Did you try starting at 32F temperatures yet with your jetting?

I have 3 theories that need testing. Unfortunately tomorrow is 34F and not 32F so I won't have perfect conditions but close.

1. The fuel restriction in the petcock due to cold mean very slow flow rate in general.
  2. The petcock itself could be machined sloppily and restricted.
  3. The carburetor, heating it should not really have had impacted anything but it started immediately after heating that whole frame area up with the hair dryer, unfortunately I hit it from both sides so on the petcock side that meant I was heating the petcock at the same time and co-mingled it into the experiment.

Tomorrow's plan is a long test due to the three combined possiblities:

• Open petcock, perform rest of FINE-C. Try to start.
  • If not, leave petcock open, come back 30 minutes later. Try to start.
  • If not, heat petcock, try to start.
  • If not, heat carburetor, try to start.

Anyway back to the bike this morning, a bit more hair dryer warming of the carburetor section inside the frame after the start and sputter and I tried again and the engine fired up right away, but throttle was high, some smokiness in the exhaust that quickly cleared, checked digital dash and it indicated throttle above and then settling in the 2500 RPM range even after I immediately released the choke lever, enter the new post-cable and post-wiring cleanup job!

If everything tomorrow with the cold start works fine then also I will consider the throttle cable being pulled interfering with a normal start procedure.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Last edited by Texas Pete; 12-01-2022 at 08:17 AM.