View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
The WR250F is a good bike.

I'm not riding my CRF250X as an adventure bike. I'm using it as a dirt bike, which I ride to the trails and back. I'm riding my Zong as a dual sport bike on the less challenging trails. I'm riding my XR650L as an adventure bike for longer rides when more speed is needed.

I'm hoping my CRF250X will prove to be very reliable with its stainless steel valves. However, I'm not making any predictions. So far, I have recorded about 670 miles on my Trail Tech Vapor. I probably rode another 100 miles before I installed my Trail Tech computer.

I went for a 100-mile ride yesterday. My CRF250X starts right up, whether the engine is hot, cold, or flooded after dropping it on the trail. I'm not burning any oil, and the engine runs great!

I need to rebuild the top end of the engine in my air cooled, dual sport bikes about every 30,000 miles. If I can get 15,000 miles between top end rebuilds on my water cooled CRF250X, I will be very happy. The bike performs so well, I am willing to rebuild it twice as often as my other bikes.

I am running the stock gearing, which is a 14T/53T sprocket combination. When riding on the street, I keep the engine under 7,500 rpms. The engine usually runs at 4,000-6,500 rpms on the trail. This CRF250X engine can turn at 12,500 rpms.

I will replace the piston after the bike begins to burn a lot of oil. I'm hoping the stainless steel valves will last a very long time.
I bet it will hold up well.

The differences between the 'X' and the 'R' seem subtle but are important. Especially with the SS valves you have.

FWIW I bought my YZ400F with maybe 30 hours on it. I have added about 120 to that, and 99% of those have been off road, and many of those demanding (sand dunes, paddle tire etc.)

So, 150 hours total.

I have checked the valves 2 or 3 times so far including about 6 hours ago. It has required not so much as an adjustment. It burns no oil and has all the compression and power of a new bike.

With the way you take care of it, and your riding style, your bike will hold up fine.