ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Zongshen RX3S (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19967)

Paeksukis 09-26-2017 11:37 PM

Zongshen RX3S

5 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine Leon Chan just shared this on Facebook

ZongSheng products announce RX3S(380cc)
ZS400GY-2
Top speed : >140
Engine : SOHC 380cc (Double cylinder 8 valves)
Compression ratio : 10.5:1
Maximum power : 27/8500
Maximum torque : 32.7/5500
Dry weight : 185kg
Fuel capacity : 20L
Seat height : 790mm v
Break : Add-on ABS
Front tire: 100/80-19
Rear tire : 130/70-17

Paeksukis 09-26-2017 11:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pictures

vickytulla 09-27-2017 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paeksukis (Post 265906)

ZS400GY-2

do you know the model of this Twin cyclender engine ?

I see the engine is not sitting in cradle and infact seems like the "stressed member of chasis which is good for a bike which is going to have a offroad use you know.

also the oil filter is naked and in front which can get damage in an adventure bike ... it seems like a "test Mule" of zongshen ...

as I havnt seen this engine on zongshen current production line..

neverthless bike is promising...

BlackBike 09-27-2017 12:53 PM

Can we have a web link ? Pics don't work on my end update...pics came thru

Link? I guess Facebook means no link.

I'd have that screw on filter all day long

fjmartin 09-27-2017 02:56 PM

I found this:
https://translate.google.com/transla...90&prev=search

about 1/3 of the way down is the RX3S

BlackBike 09-27-2017 03:41 PM

See rx4 but missed the rx3s. Thanks for the link fjm

Biker_Andy 09-27-2017 05:20 PM

Wouldn't this be the RX5 and not a different RX3 model?

The '5' is supposed to represent Zongshen first ever twin cylinder engine. The '4' of RX4 represents the big single cylinder engine of approximately 400cc. The '3' in RX3 represents the single cylinder 250cc engine generously rounded. The '2' in RX2 represents the single cylinder 200cc engine found in Asia.

Biker_Andy 09-27-2017 05:27 PM

Are we assuming it's twin cylinder because it has twin exhaust pipes? A single cylinder engine can have dual exhaust values and dual exhaust pipes. My guess is this bike is actually a single cylinder twin exhaust and will be called the RX4

goat67 09-27-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker_Andy (Post 265982)
Are we assuming it's twin cylinder because it has twin exhaust pipes? A single cylinder engine can have dual exhaust values and dual exhaust pipes. My guess is this bike is actually a single cylinder twin exhaust and will be called the RX4

No it is a twin check the link that was posted it is in there

Biker_Andy 09-27-2017 07:31 PM

Well I went to the link and I didn't see a single spec posted. The article says very little and nothing proving its a dual cylinder engine. Maybe you have a different link to share.

culcune 09-27-2017 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ironically, we had a 400cc 'adventure' bike several years ago, right here in the U.S. Heck, the Xingyue company had 4 different models--2 'adventure' bikes and 2 dual-sport models available. The problem was the engine had a fatal flaw, and Xingyue never corrected it. Pitster Pro rebranded one of the dual-sports, but pulled it from their line once the engines stopped running and couldn't be repaired.

1cylinderwonder 09-27-2017 07:55 PM

Here is a photo from the link.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker_Andy (Post 265997)
Well I went to the link and I didn't see a single spec posted. The article says very little and nothing proving its a dual cylinder engine. Maybe you have a different link to share.

Word under the photo state it’s a twin cylinder water cooled.

jbfla 09-28-2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paeksukis (Post 265906)

ZS400GY-2
Compression ratio : 10.5:1
Maximum power : 27/8500
Maximum torque : 32.7/5500
Dry weight : 185kg
Fuel capacity : 20L
Seat height : 790mm v
Break : Add-on ABS

Interesting looking engine.

I wonder how much fun it will be to get to that valve cover?

http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1506483377

jb

goat67 09-28-2017 08:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker_Andy (Post 265997)

https://translate.google.com/transla...90&prev=search

BlackBike 09-30-2017 12:17 AM

I wonder if this is the Norton licence engine coming out. The Norton licence deal may have changed up all those plans they had about bridging forward the rx4..5..6

Oops, that was a 650cc norton:hmm:

Confused...time will tell. Not sure if we shall even see another Chinese bike what with the winds of trade war

BlackBike 09-30-2017 06:21 PM

Berk s latest blog talks about this bike and how we should just :

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...fo1_r1_500.gif

goat67 10-01-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 266210)
Berk s latest blog talks about this bike and how we should just :

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...fo1_r1_500.gif

Here is the post mentioned above

-----------------------
More developments…there’s been a bit of minor buzz on the Internet about a new Zong with a photo or three that’s popped up in a few places. It’s the RX3S, a new test platform of a bike styled like the RX3 but with a 380cc twin cylinder engine…

RX3SI saw the 380cc engine and a clay mockup of the RX3S the last time I was in Chongqing. It’s interesting, it’s heavy, and it’s not happening any time soon.

Let me explain why we need to recognize a few things about the RX3S and the RX4 (the 450cc upsized version of your RX3) and Zongshen’s approach to motorcycle development. Zongshen releases information on potential new motorcycles way in advance of availability. This practice wasn’t noticed on the RX3 because nobody in America paid much attention to Zongshen (other than a few guys on ChinaRiders.net) before the RX3 hit our shores. Now, with the RX3’s world-wide popularity, everybody keeps an eye on Zongshen. Any info that Zongshen releases (and some info that they haven’t officially released) gets widespread dissemination by your friends and mine, the keyboard commandos.

Look, here’s the deal. Zongshen recently rode a group of RX4s through China and they found the bike had problems. It’s back to the drawing board with no forecasted production date. Even if there was a production date (and there is not), I would take it with a 55-gallon drum of salt. The fact is we just don’t know when this bike will go into production. And once the RX4 finally goes into production in China, we’ll have to get a couple and take them through the EPA/CARB maze. That tacks another 6 to 9 months on to when the bikes can sell here in the US. My best guess is very late 2018 or more likely sometime in 2019, but that’s just what I called it: A guess.

Now, regarding the RX3S’s availability, let me put it this way: The RX4 is way ahead of the RX3S in terms of design, development, and testing. I won’t even hazard a guess on when the RX3S will be available.

These new bikes are interesting things to watch and read about. I’ve ridden prototype RX4 motorcycles in China and my feeling is that at this point the RX3 is a much better motorcycle. I’m sure the RX4 will be improved and refined by the time it goes into production, but when I rode it I knew I preferred my RX3. The RX4 is a bigger bike, and yeah, the keyboard commandos are (as always) clamoring for more displacement. But that bigger bike comes with a penalty: More weight. The production RX4 will hopefully be lighter, but as it stands today, I like my lighter RX3 better.

Here’s the bottom line: If you’re waiting for tomorrow’s RX4 or RX3S instead of buying an RX3 today, I think you’re cheating yourself out of a lot of good riding. That’s something I’m not doing. I’m riding today. You could be, too.
----------------------
End Quote

fjmartin 12-29-2017 12:16 AM

I completely get that it would be a long while before we see the new bikes, but I spent a little time looking at all the information I could find on the RX3S as it's pretty interesting and I'm starting to think about what my next bike would/could/should be. So after digging around here are the spec's I've found on the RX3S along with all the links I could find. I don't have any immediate plans so running my RX3 for another year or two isn't an issue. With my 19,000 miles on it now, in another 2 years I think it will be pretty worn out.

Zongshen RX3S (ZS400GY-2)
Length/Width/Height: 83.86 x 34.17 x 49.60 - inches
Wheelbase: 55.9 inches
Minimum Clearance: 7.48 inches
SOHC 380CC 8-Valve Twin, Water Cooled
Fuel Supply System: Delphi EFI
Transmission: 6 speed
Maximum Speed: 87MPH (Speedo 4.166666% optimistic. Actual Max Speed with speedo correction should be 83.5MPH)
Compression Ratio: 10.5:1
Power: 36.2HP @ 9000RPM. Probably about 30HP to the wheel
Torque: 25.81 ft/lb @ 6500RPM
Dry Weight: 408 pounds, Should be 447 pounds wet and fully fueled
Fuel Capacity: 5.28 gallons. Probably closer to 5 with float and fuel pump in it
MPG: 67MPG, 50MPG when running hard
Seat Height: 31.1 low seat or 32.3 high seat - inches
ABS Option Available. Don't know if it's switchable
Suspension System: Adjustable Front Dual Suspension, Dampening Adjustable Center Rear Shock
Travel: ?
Front Tire: 100/80-19
Rear Tire: 130/70-17
Dual Front Disc Brake / ABS Single Disc Brake
Colors: Ocean Blue, Star Gray, Moon White, Dawn Red Holiday, Travel Orange

Pricing (Zongshen):
$4123.12 - Right Foot Version (Google Translate), Aluminum Wheels
$4583.89 - Urban Travel Version, Aluminum Wheels, ABS, New LED Headlight
$4737.30 - Luxury Travel Version, Aluminum Wheels, Aluminum 3 boxes, New LED Headlight
$5043.46 - Flagship Travel Version, Aluminum Wheels, ABS, Aluminum 3 boxes, New LED Headlight

Visually looks a lot like the RX3.
Seat and Pillion are one piece.
RX4 look much different with sharper edges, adjustable windscreen, Dual LED front headlight

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?8725-rx3s-and-rx4-test-ride

https://translate.google.com/transla...vJGrC42xVzDH7w

https://translate.google.com/transla...%3D1&sandbox=1

Happy New Year!

Joe

Thunder 12-29-2017 02:12 AM

Top speed doesn't seem right...???

The bike does gain a few pounds (23 lbs.)

It also gains 11.4 hp and 9.2 ft/lbs torque.

But only 3 mph more top speed !!??

I wonder if something is getting lost in translation somewhere.

I had thought I had read max speed at 140 but there were no units to

indicate miles per hour or km/hr.

:hmm:

fjmartin 12-29-2017 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree that seems low but if you look at the chart for the RX3S it was the max speed is 140. Chart for the RX4 is equal or greater than 160. Both say Km/h

Thunder 12-29-2017 01:28 PM

Ok. I see the units now.

I realize it is likely just an estimate at this point anyway, but I would thought 100 mph top speed would have been reachable.

fjmartin 12-29-2017 04:06 PM

I hope that's just an estimate. If a 380cc twin can't got above 84MPH then that's an issue. I'd want the RX3S if it has the power to make it a good long distance road cruiser until I get to the dirt and then still light enough to be good off-road.

Jay In Milpitas 12-29-2017 04:59 PM

Too slow for which country?

With all the speculation of an 87 mph top speed, it seems most posters are in USA (as I am) and accustomed to interstate speeds. However there are few other countries that have the cruising situation we do.

So imagine you are Zongshen and building a New Bike For The World, how are you going to gear it? Gearing lower will also give the engine more (effective) pulling power for the unimproved roads that are likely to be encountered in a majority of places. Sprockets can be swapped cheaply for freeways blasting.

In the days I was racing, I had at least 6 sprockets (over the two on the bike) to allow for fast versus slow tracks. For each bike. And a small bin of master links and chain bits.

NzBrakelathes 06-09-2018 08:58 PM

RX3S is the twin - saw it at my local dealership 380cc

RX4 is a single - not yet released it seems 450cc

Something like that
The RX3S is a RX4 front suspension and wheel and a very simular old style RX3

RX4 is very much a different beats (I rode it and felt 1st wayyy to high)

Meloman 06-30-2018 08:37 PM

The RX3S is coming

Spoke to TK at CSC and he said they decided to bring in the RX3S contrary to Steve’s denial a few months ago. It makes sense in terms of broadening the line. With the RX4 (450cc) coming as well, the RX3S (380cc) fills the gap between the RX4 and the RX3 (250cc). Reviews seem positive for both new models. The only negative is that with increased displacement comes increased weight.
It will probably be next year before we see either of them. Can’t wait.

dpl096 07-09-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 266000)
Ironically, we had a 400cc 'adventure' bike several years ago, right here in the U.S. Heck, the Xingyue company had 4 different models--2 'adventure' bikes and 2 dual-sport models available. The problem was the engine had a fatal flaw, and Xingyue never corrected it. Pitster Pro rebranded one of the dual-sports, but pulled it from their line once the engines stopped running and couldn't be repaired.

Too bad ...that is a good looking bike.

NzBrakelathes 08-09-2018 09:09 PM

There is another twin 500cc ADV type bike coming to the USA.
I have seen it in China as well and looks to be a decent bike and possibly better the the Zong range

Juanro 08-09-2018 10:15 PM

Can you tell the brand?

NzBrakelathes 09-18-2018 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here tis

rojo_grande 09-28-2018 05:02 PM

Posted on the CSC blog today and on their FB page.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=30037

Looks as if CSC is going to make it happen for one or both of the bikes (RX3S or RX4). The post mentions EPA and Carb testing.

I would like to see specs on the RX4(450) vs. the RX3S and compared to the RX3. RX3S presumed specs were posted a while back. Of course, I'd also like to know the price before I opt one way or the other.

I'm not unhappy with the RX3. However, I do find times when I need to be able to travel at Interstate + speeds without fear of being run up and over. The RX3S or RX4 would need to be able to represent a sizable enough value thru performance, features, and awesomeness to make me open my wallet to CSC yet again.

Rojo

fjmartin 09-29-2018 12:33 AM

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=30049

Sullybiker 09-29-2018 08:49 AM

Wow. This is really interesting. I wonder if they are offering both or are performing an evaluation exercise. They seem rather similar, right?

rd1959 09-29-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullybiker (Post 291492)
Wow. This is really interesting. I wonder if they are offering both or are performing an evaluation exercise. They seem rather similar, right?

I'm assuming they have them here for EPA testing too.

Sullybiker 09-29-2018 09:44 AM

Some things I dug out:

From CSC's blog:
https://i.imgur.com/tCrpIVM.png
Source: http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=30049

And here's a review from a Brit based in China that rode both:
Quote:

REVIEW
The RX3s
The marketing guy said that the RX3s is aimed at people getting into off road and Adventure riding or touring, people moving from normal road bikes here in the domestic market. It has a low seat- great for the Chinese market compared this to the X5 and X2 which I’ve ridden more accessible for Chinese riders we even had a female rider along who could put her feet down…
The RX3s is probably more road oriented, but the low seat means you are sat “in” the bike rather than on top so much. If you do some off-road on a trip, the lower centre of gravity is quite confidence inspiring. We took the bikes along the beach and into the surf also into the hills on some- albeit limited -stretches of rocky and steep unpaved sections.
Standing up is pretty comfortable and the bike is quite easy to control in this position, although my fellow French rider said he bottomed out the suspension..again more road biased.
I’ve found that, in China, long trips involve A LOT of road and a LITTLE dirt, so it’s well suited for adventures in China where going into the wild is not the basis of your ride.
I’ve got to say though comfort on the RX3s was pretty good, wide squishy and set back seat (I’ve had a numb bum more than once riding more offload biased Chinese bikes long distance in China …whereas the Rx3s didn’t give me this once in 6-7 days)… I only found on a couple of days after 1-2 hours in the saddle pretty bad pain in my knees. I’m 178-180 and maybe because of the lower seat, the pegs have come up if compared with the higher more off-road bikes.
The RX3s cruises at highway speeds comfortably. 120-130 is really comfortable- 120 miles per hour is 74 miles per hour. good enough for the highway. The acceleration is okay on the RX3s and the best thing is the long fifth gear and the fact it has six gears– always more on top for overtaking and maneauvres on the highway. Very little vibration in bars etc. It’s a counterbalanced engine (correct me if I’m wrong).
Seating…well standing was easy on both bikes and we did this frequently on long rides to strecth and to avoid the massive pot holes in some of the road sufaces..plus the off- road bits that we did. I came off on the sand) I think it was really nice having a heavier bike compared to my 250 dual sport .. it made mevv feel planted on the road and somehow gives confidence off road. I remember U.S. reviews of the RX3 250cc saying that it’s clearly not intended for hard beating offroad. This may be true here, but I enjoyed the extra comfort on the road.

I can’t really comment on quality, as I didn’t ride for a really extended time, but I did see rust on the frame which the top box was attached to..weird for a bike that was four weeks old..
I found it difficult to find second gear. That was a pain.
On the plus side, I had no electrical problems with the bike, which I’ve had before with Chinese bikes whereby the fuel gage didn’t work, there was nothing present like this in the RX3s I rode.
My French riding partner told me that suspension and breaks do not match Japanese adventure bike quality. To be honest, I’ve only ridden Chinese bikes, so it’s not. a comparison I can make, but , yes I’ve mentioned that this is a more road oriented bike so suspension is not massive.
The RX4
I rode the rx4 for one of the days. At first, I was disappointed as it’s not as nippy and flickable as the rx3s.
Plus acceleration and deceleration both seemed slower (the latter with engine But, after a while, I found it not to be sluggish on the road(it’s heavier by 20kg) but it felt more planted .. The extra power became quite reassuring. Still, at first felt I had to anticipate stuff ahead of time, cos, unlike the smaller bike, it didn’t quickly pull into empty spaces.. And unlike the smaller bike often had no more to give at the top of the rev range.
Actually, and maybe it’s just the specific bike I was using, I found it maxed out at 6k in sixth gear with the throttle wide open. I managed a top speed of about 148Nice chugging power though. perhaps the top end power runs out.. the Rx3s seemed to always have more available (just in comparison with the RX4) and was slightly less vibey at speed. Another rider said that might be because the screen is bigger so less wind, dunno, I although inexpert would put it down to the fact it’s a single not twin cylinder.
Source: https://www.mychinablog.com/ride-and...4-motorcycles/

The 450cc is the most over-square of all the engines, so it's not a tractor. The 400cc is the same bore/stroke ratio as the RX3 so will likely make power in about the same way. Smooth and a little biased toward midrange and top. It's definitely targeted at the tarmac; I suspect that the RX3S will be the big seller in the USA. Time will tell.

pyoungbl 09-29-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullybiker (Post 291492)

It appears that CSC will be offering both the 380 cc twin and the 450cc single. Right now they have the ones that are going to be used for EPA/DOT certification. If you look at the specs you'll see that the 450 single is about 50 lbs heavier than the 380 twin, which is about 15 lbs heavier than our RX3. Both of the new bikes have a 5.2 gallon tank and dual disc brakes in the front. I would expect the big single to have lots of torque for better off road performance and the twin to be smoother running. The single has 40 hp vs the 24 of our RX3 so it's almost twice the power.

As an aside, I wonder what the tariff war is going to do to Zong pricing in the US. That might also affect our spare parts pricing.

Working_ZS 09-29-2018 07:55 PM

Rx3s

From the listed specs, I'm liking the RX3S more so than the RX4.

The RX4 is packing parallel twin 650 weight without the matching power. The RX3S on the other hand, is just a little heavier than the RX3 while delivering a nice bump in power. It also looks like the Tourfella aluminum luggage is now standard, which is another nice spec bump versus the RX3. Additionally, it has dual disc brakes; this has really been the only thing that I have found lacking on my current RX3. Compared to my Gold Wing, TT250 or Versys 650, the RX3 is a little slow to haul down from speed on pavement.

I should be approaching 20,000 miles on my RX3 in another year, so depending upon how the powertrain holds up (running like a top currrently), I may be either replacing the RX3 or adding to the stable (time for a garage addition). We'll see.

Working_ZS 09-29-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyoungbl (Post 291500)
As an aside, I wonder what the tariff war is going to do to Zong pricing in the US. That might also affect our spare parts pricing.

I recall reading on the Exhaust Notes blog that Steve Seidner stated to Baja John that the next shipment of TT250's, coming in October, may be more expensive due to tariffs on Chinese goods. If so, that will definitely affect RX3S and RX4 pricing, spare parts included. Current RX3 spare parts stock not so much, since it is already here and paid for.

Sullybiker 09-29-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Working_ZS (Post 291517)
From the listed specs, I'm liking the RX3S more so than the RX4.

The weight is notable for me. I don't obsess about it on bikes (some really do, and it's a bit strange in ADV circles as the most popuar bikes are all rather porky) but on paper (and that's not that meaningful, I know) I don't really see any particular advantage to the RX4.

I wonder if CSC will still offer the RX3 down the line. I still think it's an attractive price point as long as it doesn't get higher, and it's still pretty light weight.

Another question mark for me is reliability, cooling, and valve intervals. Shim or screw?

Working_ZS 09-29-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullybiker (Post 291521)
The weight is notable for me. I don't obsess about it on bikes (some really do, and it's a bit strange in ADV circles as the most popuar bikes are all rather porky) but on paper (and that's not that meaningful, I know) I don't really see any particular advantage to the RX4.

I wonder if CSC will still offer the RX3 down the line. I still think it's an attractive price point as long as it doesn't get higher, and it's still pretty light weight.

Another question mark for me is reliability, cooling, and valve intervals. Shim or screw?

Likewise for me, regarding the weight. Having a Versys 650, I know first hand what a heavier, especially up top, bike suffers in handling; at low speed the Versys is a bear to maneuver while doing tight turns and figure eight drills in parking lots. The power is great in a straight line, but getting it thru a curve is harder compared to the RX3. You really feel the difference riding them back to back.

Regarding the RX3, I think RX3S sales will determine that. If it does well, then they will probably drop it. If it tanks, then the RX3 stays for its low price point. Either way, I'm not concerned. The RX3S looks to be using a lot of the RX3 hardware: tires and rear wheel (I wonder if the front dual rotor wheel and forks can be retro fitted to the RX3?), what looks to be the same headlight, instrument cluster, etc. So RX3 parts should still be easy to come by if CSC drops it in favor of the RX3S.

Concerning the engine valvetrain, I suspect that Zongshen will stay with what it knows and keep it screw type. Especially if they stick with the softer valve seats, which will require more frequent valve checks and adjustments. Having said that, the $30 I spend every 10,000 miles on a gallon of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant has proven to be money well spent. My RX3 valves haven't budged since 4500 miles and I'm coming up on 13,000 miles now with no issues engine-wise. I even use it in the Versys 650 and TT250 and I'll continue to use it in these bikes too, if I decide to purchase one.

pyoungbl 09-30-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Working_ZS (Post 291522)
Likewise for me, regarding the weight. .

Agree totally. Although not a featherweight machine, the RX3 is still so much easier to move around in the garage or on the trail than any of my previous bikes. I can live with another 15-20 lbs (the 380cc twin) if that also comes with a big bump in performance.