ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Cheap helmet recommendations? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18562)

da4design 03-22-2017 01:18 PM

Cheap helmet recommendations?

Anyone have some cheap helmet ideas? I can get a a scorpion for $50..Don't know about that brand. Any input is appreciated.

Ski_rush 03-22-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da4design (Post 248242)
Anyone have some cheap helmet ideas? I can get a a scorpion for $50..Don't know about that brand. Any input is appreciated.

Your brain isn't something to cheap out on. I would save and plan on spending at least $100. Look into HJC and AFX. They make decent helmets for relatively inexpensive. I spent about $150 on an AFX. I'm very happy with the quality of it. A long time ago, I had an Arai...those were the days.

Mudflap 03-22-2017 01:36 PM

All helmets sold in the US have to meet DOT standards so they'll all be safe. In many cases the cheaper helmets test better than the $500+ helmets. I use a $39 open face from Walmart because skidding down the road on my face might improve my looks.

jet321 03-22-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da4design (Post 248242)

Personal opinion, do NOT skimp out on a helmet. It is the only "real" protection between your skull and the pavement/stationary object. Don't be a squid. As the famous Jeremy Clarkson said, "Speed never killed anyone, it's becoming stationary that gets you." You may be the best rider in the world, but other drivers are unaware and negligent, texting, facebooking etc. Don't risk it, BUY the helmet BEFORE the bike. Always been my moto.

IIHS - "Because serious head injury is common among fatally injured motorcyclists, helmet use is important. Helmets are about 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths and about 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries." Cited from NHTSA

Get at least a DOT approved helmet, if not a ECE approved helmet. It's your choice, you don't need a extremely expensive helmet but a medium range one would be perfect.

I bought the AFX FX-39DS helmet

It's great, I have a gold reflective shield that drops down independent of the clear shield. It also allows you to use MX goggles with the visor down. I have my SENA cam and bluetooth on it as well.

Sport Rider 03-22-2017 01:44 PM

I agree with mudflap. they all meet standards. however.....higher prices mean you might get newer space-age materials that are lighter, which leads to less fatigue. or they are more comfortable because they have extra (or proper) linings inside to help that part.

in the end, I use HJCs a lot myself. partly for price, but partly because they fit my head well.

the bottom line though, if you don't wreck, you don't even NEED a helmet! :hi:

old kid 03-22-2017 01:45 PM

a friend of mine has a scorpion helmet and likes it alot

my personal take on helmets is comfort is #1

there are all kinds of helmets that are inexpensive on amazon, and ebay but i would suggest finding one that fits you and is comfortable for you before you spend the money.

measure your head just above your ears then
check the sizing chart from the manufacturer before you buy one, some places wont take returns on helmets so make sure its right the first time.

Sport Rider 03-22-2017 01:49 PM

here is something that might be helpful along the lines of comfort. if you find a helmet on the list you find fits you well, it might lead you to others that are at a price point you can afford.

http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data/

Sullybiker 03-22-2017 01:51 PM

I have an HJC CL-17 full-face; I like it as it's good value (just over $100), is DOT and SNELL approved, and is big so it fits my giant noggin.

It is noisy though. This is less of an issue as I habitually wear plugs when riding.

Merlin 03-22-2017 03:22 PM

From my research I like a Polycarbonate composite shell so I use this one. It runs small so if anyone buy's one get the next larger size. I also like having dual visors with the inner visor tinted. These guys have given me good support.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2LZ 03-22-2017 03:22 PM

If you have a Cycle Gear near you, their house brand "Bilt" are good helmets and reasonably priced. I linked the dirt bike helmets but they have open face and others.

https://www.cyclegear.com/dirt-bike-helmets

I have a monster melon (all sinus, very little brain) so my helmets need to fit just so...and I've now bought three of these. Right around 100.00 and fit really well with removable cheek pads. Nicest fitting helmet I've had in a long time. Doesn't put a dent in my forehead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

da4design 03-22-2017 05:13 PM

wow thanks for all the input, i will check all this out. that lipicker link is really helpful! curious about the flip up helmets, never had one of those

hertz9753 03-22-2017 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 15 year old helmet that was stored in an helmet bag, that was stored in a helmet box that was inside of my gear bag. The gear bag was in a closet. You don't have to understand that because it made sense to me. :)

pistolclass 03-22-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da4design (Post 248264)
wow thanks for all the input, i will check all this out. that lipicker link is really helpful! curious about the flip up helmets, never had one of those

I dont think Snell will certify the flip ups. I could be wrong. Helmets do expire, at least racing helmets. I think it is 10 years on my SA rated helmet.

timcosby 03-22-2017 10:41 PM

try to find the lightest one you can cause a heavy helmet will protect the head but break the neck in a crash.

kirbo7106 03-23-2017 12:45 AM

Helmet Saying

I heard this one saying that holds pretty true. "Don't wear a 30 minute helmet on an hour ride!" I once picked up a motorcycle in Tallahassee and rode it to Tampa. After an hour, my head was killing me! And I had hours to go! I currently have an AFX and like it.

old kid 03-23-2017 12:54 AM

Helmets have been a hot topic all across the motor sports world for a long time, there are hundreds of different styles and brands out there and everyone has an opinion on which one is better for one reason or another and are convinced that they are right,
it all comes down to whatever you are comfortable with. (my opinion)

I wear an AFX skid lid, skull cap or whatever you want to call it if the weather is nice when i'm out on my Harley or if on the rare occasion i have my Indian out, it may not provide the greatest protection but that's what i'm comfortable with,

I wear a modular HJC heated shield, bluetooth enabled in the winter on the sled ,its a bit awkward but it provides good protection from the cold and snow, plus it has tunes in it ""BONUS"":yay:
I have a FLY full face for the cooler or wet weather. I only have about 50 miles on my hawk but i wear the FLY with that bike because it fits the bike,
all these helmets fit me and i am comfortable wearing them,

find something that you are comfortable with and confident in and go with it.

bogieboy 03-23-2017 06:14 AM

I got a zoan synchrony off ebay last year, bit over $100, but you gdt an adv style helmet, and a tinted drop down sunshade, and a cold weather breath box...

MDStroup 03-23-2017 06:38 AM

Icon Alliance Dark helmet. It is normally priced around $100. Decent reviews.

emptyschmitz 03-23-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDStroup (Post 248349)
Icon Alliance Dark helmet. It is normally priced around $100. Decent reviews.

I agree, I really like Icon helmet's fit and ECE rating. I have an Alliance GT as my normal use with a sunshield. Icon makes great helmets for the price.

I have a Gmax helmet I bought on clearance for $20 that I use on the motorcycle range and while fartin around on dirt low speed with my Hawk. Good enough for a fall over and I don't damage my really nice helmet!

Good riding friends of mine swear by Bilt helmets, in-house brand of a motorcycle gear shop called Cycle Gear. Good fit and features for the dollar, worth a look.

2LZ 03-23-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 248299)
I dont think Snell will certify the flip ups. I could be wrong. Helmets do expire, at least racing helmets. I think it is 10 years on my SA rated helmet.

Snell was one of my clients here in North Highlands. Interesting, yet small lab in a strip mall and still basically family run, at least last time I was there. They may have moved to somewhere bigger by now, I don't know. They have very stringent specifications, improve them constantly and have some pretty wacky testing procedures....such as, if you ever plan on ramming the top of your head into a long steel spike at extremely high speeds, you better have a Snell approved helmet.

My feeling has always been regarding time and thrashing, is that most helmet manufacturers say to replace them in a certain amount of time or if you drop it off your handlebars, is to save themselves from litigation and to sell more helmets, than anything else. Of course, with your head, what precautions you take are up to you.

I had the same MX open faced helmet for more than two decades that had been thrashed, dropped, crashed and generally abused. It never failed me and I just threw it away about three months ago.

Helmets are like oil, everyone has their own opinion because it's your dome your making decisions on. If I remember right, Snell himself was killed rolling an open top race car. I kind of doubt even an "his approved" helmet would have saved him.

oldscooter 03-23-2017 11:11 AM

I have 4 Scorpion Exo 100's. I have found that not sitting behind a windshield on the Hawk, I need to get out my Scorpion Exo 200 with the full flip up face shield. Didn't realize the big cruisers had made me such a sissy about bugs in the face. Exo's are the best fit for my Charlie Brown head.

JerryHawk250 03-23-2017 11:32 AM

I'm using my cheap bastards $39.99 Walmart helmet:hehe: which is DOT approved. I recently painted it black to match the bike. Back in 1976 I crashed my 1st bike. A lady had pulled out in front of me and the only option I had was to lock up the brakes and laid the bike down. The bike went under the car and flew over the car about 30 feet and landed on my back. I did manage to split the helmet and not my head. No broke bones a little road rash. I was able to get up and walk away. The next day and for about a week and a half every part of my body hurt. I felt like I had a full body sprain. Personally I think any DOT approved helmet will do. If you in that bad of a wreck on a motorcycle you will have more damage to the rest of your body than your head.
http://i21.twenga.com/cars-motorcycl...222954243f.jpg

oldscooter 03-23-2017 12:30 PM

I've got a motocross style helmet. Fits good. But... it won't go on while I have my glasses on. Getting the glasses on through the eye slot is a pain and they never settle on my head right. My modular helmet has the entire face portion lift up and goes on well over glasses. Put the face down and I feel like my head is in a can. Lots of things to consider for each person's likes and fit.

RogerWFarrier 03-23-2017 12:49 PM

I like HJC although I did just upgrade to a Bell Qualifier DLX since I mostly ride on the street. It was $250 at Cycle Gear has a transitions face shield and is ready to accept the Bell Sena SMH10 and Cardo Scala Rider Q1/Q3 Bluetooth stereo headset and intercom systems

RogerWFarrier 03-23-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emptyschmitz (Post 248351)
I agree, I really like Icon helmet's fit and ECE rating. I have an Alliance GT as my normal use with a sunshield. Icon makes great helmets for the price.

I have a Gmax helmet I bought on clearance for $20 that I use on the motorcycle range and while fartin around on dirt low speed with my Hawk. Good enough for a fall over and I don't damage my really nice helmet!

Good riding friends of mine swear by Bilt helmets, in-house brand of a motorcycle gear shop called Cycle Gear. Good fit and features for the dollar, worth a look.

Cycle Gear also has their Sedici brand of helmets and gear which is their higher end house brand. I have a pair of their gloves and really like them. In fact I was going to get one of their Sedici helmets but the Transitions shield on the Bell won me over.

2LZ 03-23-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 248408)
I'm using my cheap bastards $39.99 Walmart helmet:hehe: which is DOT approved.

My brother has the identical helmet and it fits his massive melon very comfortably.

Mudflap 03-23-2017 03:11 PM

I hit a moose in Alaska on my touring bike a few years ago and went down hard. My $39 Walmart helmet wasn't even scratched. Mooses are soft!

nattex 03-23-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 248248)
All helmets sold in the US have to meet DOT standards so they'll all be safe. In many cases the cheaper helmets test better than the $500+ helmets. I use a $39 open face from Walmart because skidding down the road on my face might improve my looks.

This is not true. There are plenty of helmets sold that are not DOT rated (ie the skull caps that you see Harley riders wearing all the time). It will have a DOT sticker on the back if it is DOT rated. HJC is a good medium priced helmet of reasonable quality and comfortable.

timcosby 03-23-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 248408)
I'm using my cheap bastards $39.99 Walmart helmet:hehe: which is DOT approved. I recently painted it black to match the bike. Back in 1976 I crashed my 1st bike. A lady had pulled out in front of me and the only option I had was to lock up the brakes and laid the bike down. The bike went under the car and flew over the car about 30 feet and landed on my back. I did manage to split the helmet and not my head. No broke bones a little road rash. I was able to get up and walk away. The next day and for about a week and a half every part of my body hurt. I felt like I had a full body sprain. Personally I think any DOT approved helmet will do. If you in that bad of a wreck on a motorcycle you will have more damage to the rest of your body than your head.
http://i21.twenga.com/cars-motorcycl...222954243f.jpg

im after that trophy! i use a $10 non dot approved skull cap with 1/8 foam in it most of the time. to each his own! i see a lot of the dual sport bmw riders around here wearing the suits with all the pads and reflection tape all over it and happened to stop at breakfast where they were and they were all complaining how hot it was...no shit with all that crap on.

2LZ 03-23-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattex (Post 248436)
This is not true. There are plenty of helmets sold that are not DOT rated (ie the skull caps that you see Harley riders wearing all the time). It will have a DOT sticker on the back if it is DOT rated.

In my younger days, I wore a German helmet on my chopper. It had a DOT sticker on the back... that I got from when we all passed around a sheet of them at a "peel and stick" party.

JerryHawk250 03-23-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 248428)
My brother has the identical helmet and it fits his massive melon very comfortably.

Fits my big head pretty good. The opening is wide enough that I can put my glasses on with no problem. This helmets is way better than the helmet I had back in the 70's. Much better protection. its hot here most of the year and I can't stand having a face shield. The bar across the front keeps the bugs out of my teeth.:lmao:

pistolclass 03-23-2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 248435)
I hit a moose in Alaska on my touring bike a few years ago and went down hard. My $39 Walmart helmet wasn't even scratched. Mooses are soft!

Isn't it Meeses?

hertz9753 03-24-2017 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 248520)
Isn't it Meeses?

I think that is "Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks". :lmao:

Rail32 03-24-2017 06:14 AM

To each their own serves me well.
I will never wear a " cheap" helmet .
MY head and being alive is well worth every penny I spend on all my safety gear.
Have many scars to prove my point from my learning curve .
HJC Is bottom line lower cost helmet that's worth the money in my opinion. I wear Nolan's ,Aries, and HJC .
But again it's your choice and do not preach to anybody .
Ride safely and ride often .
Rail

Ariel Red Hunter 03-24-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 248379)
Snell was one of my clients here in North Highlands. Interesting, yet small lab in a strip mall and still basically family run, at least last time I was there. They may have moved to somewhere bigger by now, I don't know. They have very stringent specifications, improve them constantly and have some pretty wacky testing procedures....such as, if you ever plan on ramming the top of your head into a long steel spike at extremely high speeds, you better have a Snell approved helmet.

My feeling has always been regarding time and thrashing, is that most helmet manufacturers say to replace them in a certain amount of time or if you drop it off your handlebars, is to save themselves from litigation and to sell more helmets, than anything else. Of course, with your head, what precautions you take are up to you.

I had the same MX open faced helmet for more than two decades that had been thrashed, dropped, crashed and generally abused. It never failed me and I just threw it away about three months ago.

Helmets are like oil, everyone has their own opinion because it's your dome your making decisions on. If I remember right, Snell himself was killed rolling an open top race car. I kind of doubt even an "his approved" helmet would have saved him.

That is the Snell the lab is named for. It was set up after he was killed to research ways to improve helmets, at which they have been very successful. A Snell approved helmet is about as good as it gets...ARH

Azhule 03-24-2017 01:05 PM

DOT, SNELL, and ECE certified helmets for me please!

Here is a example of tim's helmet

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...s%2F20.jpg&f=1

:p

... spend the little bit of $$ and protect what few brain cells are left :crazy:

Biker_Andy 03-24-2017 03:39 PM

Doesn't your insurance company buy you a new helmet when you have an accident?

Here you give them your old helmet after an accident and a receipt for the replacement, same as child car seats - no questions asked. It doesn't matter if the helmet suffered any damage or not, even if it didn't touch the ground! The reasoning is that the insurance company cannot guarantee the helmet is still "safe" so they replace it to avoid possible liability if later a head injury occurred from the same helmet. Therefore my least expensive helmet at the time gets replaced for the most expensive model available. Out with the Walmart and in with the Schuberth, Arai & AGV

timcosby 03-24-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhule (Post 248588)
DOT, SNELL, and ECE certified helmets for me please!

Here is a example of tim's helmet

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...s%2F20.jpg&f=1

:p

... spend the little bit of $$ and protect what few brain cells are left :crazy:

way too much leather!