ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Fed Ex just dropped off the Hawk Tach Cluster!! (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16232)

mjstef 03-31-2016 03:17 PM

Fed Ex just dropped off the Hawk Tach Cluster!!

5 Attachment(s)
Took me all of 20 minutes to test it out and IT WORKS! The Hawk also comes PRE-WIRED for gear indicator which this cluster has! The Green plug in front of the battery has 6 wires on the engine side and only 1 connected on the bike side which is the Neutral wire. The other 5 wires that are not connected are gears 1-5 confirmed with a milli-amp meter. Each gear shows .03 Milli-amps. As soon as i get to town this afternoon to source some smaller gauge wire i will hook that up as well to test. The tach connects to the Blue/White wire in the other plug coming from the engine in front of the battery. I used a Tap-Splice to hook that up. The wheel sending unit for the Speedometer is plug and play and the tire size is adjusted through the cluster itself. (haven't got that far yet.) The only glitch i see right now is the low fuel light stays on. If i can get this minor issue adjusted or just shut off in programming i should be able to have these shipped to me in about 2-3 weeks. I can do all of this through Pay-Pal for those interested. STAY TUNED!!!

Fame28 03-31-2016 03:53 PM

Please check how that digital display's visibility in the direct sunlight and also check it's speed with a GPS for us. If you can also verify the fuel gauge accuracy as well, I'm already tired of seeing my speedo needle and fuel needle bouncing up and down above 60mph. I would buy one for sure if it works out, maybe make a video of it possibly in operation to help boost sales. Does it bolt up to the Hawks speedo cluster bracket or is there a separate bracket with it? (You could just take out the bulb possibly for the fuel light if all else fails)

SeerAtlas 03-31-2016 03:53 PM

Sweet!!!! Sign me up :)

Wolftrax 03-31-2016 04:03 PM

Great news. Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your progress. Keep us in the loop.

chuck 03-31-2016 06:11 PM

That looks sharp,it is going to make our Hawks more impressive.
Great job so far.

Wolftrax 03-31-2016 07:36 PM

I see your Hawk uses a number 28 key, that little sticker on the switch is a bugger to get off. My 66 sticker will undoubtedly outlast the bike.:lmao:

BlackBike 03-31-2016 07:49 PM

mjstef... this is great news so far. i sure you will get it all ironed out. This is something that should have been included with this HAWK in the first place. this will make it a complete well rounded machine.

:clap: :yay: :D :) ;) :tup:

Ron B 03-31-2016 07:56 PM

When you get the total cost with shipping to you and then again to us be sure to post it so we can pay you

mjstef 03-31-2016 08:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok ladies and gentleman! Got it all wired in. Took me a while and had to make my own harness going to the engine as well as my own connecting spades as no parts store had them. I'm going to see if the factory will at least extend the harness and add the spades needed to push into the plug so it's more plug and play. I don't think this would increase the price much. Gear indicator works perfectly, Speedo is within 1/2 MPH to the GPS on my phone and it's switchable from MPH to Clicks on the menu. It is easy to see in the sunlight and i have attached a photo showing this. Pretty painless and when i get the harness ironed out it should be about 1 hour to do it right. I ended up pulling the fuel tank to run the wires properly. I will come up with a set of instructions with color photos to include with these.

Wolftrax 03-31-2016 09:02 PM

Very nice, I'm definitely in!

mjstef 03-31-2016 09:03 PM

Oh, The low fuel light is always on but the gauge does work. I pushed the float up and down and it changes. I will have them address this as well. If i get a chance tonight i will drain the tank down to under half and see where the gauge reads.......

mjstef 03-31-2016 09:06 PM

Video sucks, Guess i need a Go-Pro....... https://youtu.be/QA8WkjKUjog

newrider93 03-31-2016 11:02 PM

I just might have to get one of these, and include it with the rest of my upgrades.

popeicus86 03-31-2016 11:21 PM

very very interested in this product and the final shipped to me price please let us know you have us all in suspense

closedquestion 03-31-2016 11:26 PM

That is awesome!! Nice work!! I'm definitely interested.

mjstef 04-01-2016 02:55 PM

OK folks, Just so their isn't disappointment i will be up front and say that the low fuel light and gauge will likely not be consistent from bike to bike at NO FAUL of the company i am having manufacture the clusters. We can get the low fuel light issue fixed but the problem at hand is the inconsistency of the tank sending unit. I have 2 hawks here, Both are .05 ohms on the 20K scale at full tank and .10 empty. The problem arises in the middle. One of them hits .09 Ohms with just under 1/2 tank per yardstick inserted in the tank and the other bike hits .09 ohms right at 1/4 tank which is where i personally would like to see the low fuel light come on. I'm positive this can be fixed by pulling the tank, removing the sending unit and bending the float wire accordingly but i don't have the time right now to investigate. Chances are it would be only a small percentage that would have to be adjusted this way. That said, I'm going to likely get them to go into production as is with the low fuel light coming on at .09 ohms. What i found on the sending unit is as follows:

.05 Full on gauge
.06 3/4 on gauge
.07 1/2 on gauge
.09 1/4 on gauge
.10 empty on gauge

Any thoughts or concerns are always appreciated.......

Ron B 04-01-2016 05:39 PM

got any pics of how you mounted your speed sensor?

Fame28 04-01-2016 11:39 PM

Just a thought, but maybe they can send only you the software to set the odometer to the buyers mileage before sending it?

mjstef 04-02-2016 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fame28 (Post 209848)
Just a thought, but maybe they can send only you the software to set the odometer to the buyers mileage before sending it?

I'll check but i don't know if they would send it and i'm sure it's in Chinese.....

lee47512 04-02-2016 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjstef (Post 209743)
OK folks, Just so their isn't disappointment i will be up front and say that the low fuel light and gauge will likely not be consistent from bike to bike at NO FAUL of the company i am having manufacture the clusters. We can get the low fuel light issue fixed but the problem at hand is the inconsistency of the tank sending unit. I have 2 hawks here, Both are .05 ohms on the 20K scale at full tank and .10 empty. The problem arises in the middle. One of them hits .09 Ohms with just under 1/2 tank per yardstick inserted in the tank and the other bike hits .09 ohms right at 1/4 tank which is where i personally would like to see the low fuel light come on. I'm positive this can be fixed by pulling the tank, removing the sending unit and bending the float wire accordingly but i don't have the time right now to investigate. Chances are it would be only a small percentage that would have to be adjusted this way. That said, I'm going to likely get them to go into production as is with the low fuel light coming on at .09 ohms. What i found on the sending unit is as follows:

.05 Full on gauge
.06 3/4 on gauge
.07 1/2 on gauge
.09 1/4 on gauge
.10 empty on gauge

Any thoughts or concerns are always appreciated.......

Lol mine tells me empty with two gallons left as someone else on here said that is the charm of being a china rider.

mjstef 04-02-2016 12:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron B (Post 209756)
got any pics of how you mounted your speed sensor?

Same as the cable drive....

mq1991 04-02-2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjstef (Post 209859)
Same as the cable drive....

Making me excited! Cant wait to get rid of the stock cluster and have an accurate speedo. :yay:

Thanks for all the time your taking to do this :thanks:

Ron B 04-02-2016 08:02 AM

great job mjstef ! im sure some of the new TT250 owners will be getting this too. :tup:

Tranberg 04-03-2016 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mq1991 (Post 209860)
Making me excited! Cant wait to get rid of the stock cluster and have an accurate speedo. :yay:

Initially an accurate speedometer makes you disappointed, because it reveals the actual performance of your bike, but knowing your true speed at all times, without doing math, is satisfying.

mq1991 04-05-2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tranberg (Post 210061)
Initially an accurate speedometer makes you disappointed, because it reveals the actual performance of your bike, but knowing your true speed at all times, without doing math, is satisfying.

:lmao: True, true.

I just hate it when I'm driving behind someone and I cant tell if I'm supposed to be irritated at them for driving too slow. :hehe:

BARLOW 04-08-2016 09:22 AM

was reading through, and never saw the price ... does anyone know yet, and any word if it will work on the storm 250? ... i would work a sunday at double time so i could have one, if it works on the storm as well ... lol

Azhule 04-08-2016 10:53 AM

I might end up try one out on my 'Bashan WILL 200' sometime... when I was fixing up all the wire connections on the motorcycle I noticed the Gas Tank has a Fuel Level Sending Unit on the bottom of it, I would just need to buy the 'wire harness' for it and attach it to a fuel gauge :)

The Mrs. can't stand the 'Main' readout being in KMH... and it only goes up in leaps of 10 lol... not that easy to know how fast your going at any given time ;)

Please let me know the price so I can start saving up for a "will it fit my WILL" order :D

mjstef 04-08-2016 10:58 AM

Someone with a Storm would have to figure out the wiring. I can walk them through how to trace everything down. Not too difficult if you have a wiring diagram for the Bashan. Bashan does make a bike with Tach and Speedo. https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e9&oe=57BBD6F2

BARLOW 04-08-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjstef (Post 210808)
Someone with a Storm would have to figure out the wiring. I can walk them through how to trace everything down. Not too difficult if you have a wiring diagram for the Bashan. Bashan does make a bike with Tach and Speedo. https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e9&oe=57BBD6F2

i will look for a diagram, but still need to know the cost

mjstef 04-08-2016 11:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BARLOW (Post 210790)
was reading through, and never saw the price ... does anyone know yet, and any word if it will work on the storm 250? ... i would work a sunday at double time so i could have one, if it works on the storm as well ... lol

Still finalizing everything and trying to figure out what Customs will hit us. It will be under $100 shipped though. Actually had a plug and play harness made where you will just plug the terminals in on the hawk where the wires are missing on the bike side of the harness at the engine so the only splice that will have to be made is to the ignition wire. Not sure on the Storm. On the Hawk, Right behind the front chain guard on the motor their are 2 sets of wires coming from the motor. If you get a chance, Take a photo of both of these sets of wires and the plugs that are installed on them. I can tell you a lot more from there. On the hawk, it is pre-wired for each gear to read out on a cluster with the green male plug but from the factory only the neutral wire is connected on the white bike side plug. I probably have about 40 hours into this total. What consistently amazes me is the lack of language barrier between here and China on this. The gentleman i am working with is the General Manager of Overseas Marketing and he has been a pleasure to work with......

TXDSRIDER 04-08-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjstef (Post 210813)
Still finalizing everything and trying to figure out what Customs will hit us. It will be under $100 shipped though. Actually had a plug and play harness made where you will just plug the terminals in on the hawk where the wires are missing on the bike side of the harness at the engine so the only splice that will have to be made is to the ignition wire. Not sure on the Storm. On the Hawk, Right behind the front chain guard on the motor their are 2 sets of wires coming from the motor. If you get a chance, Take a photo of both of these sets of wires and the plugs that are installed on them. I can tell you a lot more from there. On the hawk, it is pre-wired for each gear to read out on a cluster with the green male plug but from the factory only the neutral wire is connected on the white bike side plug. I probably have about 40 hours into this total. What consistently amazes me is the lack of language barrier between here and China on this. The gentleman i am working with is the General Manager of Overseas Marketing and he has been a pleasure to work with......

Thanks for all the work you have been putting into this. And you know what they say, there are more English speakers in China than the usa.

BARLOW 04-09-2016 10:02 AM

found diagram, it shows tach but i can not tell what color (blue and ? [maybe yellow]) wire, and all gears wired as well

mjstef 04-10-2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BARLOW (Post 210963)
found diagram, it shows tach but i can not tell what color (blue and ? [maybe yellow]) wire, and all gears wired as well

Sounds the same. Blue/White is Tach. Might work!!

kohburn 04-11-2016 10:56 AM

they ever figure out why the fuel light was stuck on?

sounds like this may end up arriving about the same time as the TT250

mjstef 04-11-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kohburn (Post 211261)
they ever figure out why the fuel light was stuck on?

sounds like this may end up arriving about the same time as the TT250

Different resistance values. They are working on it.....

Fame28 04-11-2016 02:13 PM

Can you take a picture of the gauges in the dark to see if the speedo lights up and tach well at night also please?

If the price point or purchasing these in bulk becomes something you'd like to not do. You could always see if RPS or CSC wanted to offer it as a separate item / upgrade for sale and they could pick up a bunch. I really do want to order one of these speedo's too.

mjstef 04-11-2016 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fame28 (Post 211322)
Can you take a picture of the gauges in the dark to see if the speedo lights up and tach well at night also please?

If the price point or purchasing these in bulk becomes something you'd like to not do. You could always see if RPS or CSC wanted to offer it as a separate item / upgrade for sale and they could pick up a bunch. I really do want to order one of these speedo's too.

Here you go.....

BlackAcid 04-12-2016 05:14 AM

That looks sweet, you can add me to the list.

dpl096 04-12-2016 07:59 AM

Gauge

That is sweeeeeet! :tup:

rtking 04-12-2016 09:41 AM

Wow, great job figuring this out! The gauge cluster looks great. If I get a tt250, I'd be in for one of these!