ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   zongshen sierra 200 rear brakes (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10958)

davidsonsgccc 05-03-2012 10:13 AM

zongshen sierra 200 rear brakes

i was just wondering if any of you zong owners have changed their rear brakes yet. the reason i ask is i wondered if the kawasakl eliminator rear brake shoes worked on it. my rear brakes are popping on take off and occasionally at low speed. i figure i will b doing rear brakes soon.

thanks

FastDoc 05-03-2012 12:06 PM

I believe it's the same hub as an Eliminator 125 so I bet the shoes would be the same too.

Spud of course will know for sure. :P

Weldangrind 05-03-2012 12:46 PM

If you find that to be true, please document the process. If it all works out, we can add it to the Zong sticky to help other Zong / Ranger owners.

davidsonsgccc 05-03-2012 01:33 PM

good idea.

SpudRider 05-04-2012 02:49 AM

Re: zongshen sierra 200 rear brakes

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
i was just wondering if any of you zong owners have changed their rear brakes yet. the reason i ask is i wondered if the kawasakl eliminator rear brake shoes worked on it. my rear brakes are popping on take off and occasionally at low speed. i figure i will b doing rear brakes soon.

thanks

I did some research on this topic, but I can't remember my findings at this particular moment! :roll: I compared the measurements of my Zongshen brake shoes to the EBC database, and found a good match. :) I can't remember, but I don't think the brake shoes are the same as the Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator. I will search through my spare parts, and post the information as soon as I find the brake shoes I purchased. ;) If you like, I will be glad to sell you these brake shoes, since I don't need them after my XT225 swingarm conversion. ;)

Spud :)

SpudRider 05-04-2012 04:29 AM

The brake shoes for the Zong's rear brake are 130mm in diameter, and 28mm wide. The EBC catalog lists a lot of brake shoes with these dimensions, including the brake shoes for the Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator. However, the holes which hold the springs for the brake shoes are in different locations, so I tried my best to match the distance between these holes.

I have a new, stock, rear brake assembly for the Zong, complete with brake shoes. I also purchased a pair of Vesrah VB-223 brake shoes, and fitted them to the Zongshen brake assembly. Although the Vesrah brake shoes are not identical, the fit appears to be good. The Zongshen springs also work well with the Vesrah VB-223 brake shoes. However, I have not tested these brake shoes on my Zong, since I performed an XT225 swingarm conversion on my bike. ;)

Perhaps a number of different brake shoes will work with the stock, Zongshen rear wheel. Also, some brake shoes come complete with springs, which might eliminate the need to match the spring hole distance. ;) However, the following brake shoes appear to fit the Zongshen rear wheel.

Vesrah VB-223
EBC 506
SBS 2034
Dunlop 9108

EDIT:
SOK 204 brake shoes, available for sale on eBay, should also fit the Zongshen, rear brake drum.

If someone experiments with another 130mm x 28mm brake shoe, and discovers it fits well in the Zongshen rear brake assembly, please let us know. :)

SpudRider 05-04-2012 04:30 AM

For the purposes of future reference, I have added this thread to the Zong Sticky, located at the top of the Dual Sport Forum. This link is entitled "Zongshen 200GY-2 Rear Brake Shoes," and is located under the Parts subheading in the Zong Sticky. Thanks for asking the excellent question, David! :)

davidsonsgccc 05-04-2012 01:00 PM

im going to pull the wheel hopefully saturday afternoon to check them out. i will know if they need replacing for sure then thanks for all the great feedback.

SpudRider 05-04-2012 10:18 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if you broke a brake spring, David. ;) I broke one of the springs holding the brake shoes on my Zong. Naturally, it adversely affects the operation of the brakes. I couldn't find a replacement brake spring at any of the local motorcycle dealers. :roll:

These brake springs are subjected to a lot of force, and can certainly fail. Each pair of brake shoes has a special spring associated with it; there is no standard spring size. :roll:

Weldangrind 05-05-2012 01:35 AM

davidsonsgccc, if you happen to find a broken spring, please measure the intact spring (and take a pic). I'll be happy to measure some old Honda stuff just to see if I can find a match.

SpudRider 05-05-2012 01:36 AM

That's awfully nice of you, Weld! :D

Weldangrind 05-05-2012 02:12 AM

Happy to help. Sometimes we get lucky with stuff like this, and we need to be more diligent about putting such info in stickies. Much easier than the search function.

SpudRider 05-05-2012 02:19 AM

I agree. :) I try very hard to keep the Zong Sticky up to date; I wish more people would refer to it. ;) There's a lot of good information in the Zong Sticky that applies to all motorcycles, not just the Zongshen 200GY-2. :)

SpudRider 05-05-2012 06:05 AM

The Vesrah VB223 brake shoes fit the front wheel for the 90-91, TW200 motorcycle. Therefore, the brake spring for the front wheel of that bike should also fit the Zongshen, rear brake shoes. ;) This brake spring is Honda part #90506-17328-00, and is shown as part #13 in the following diagram. :)

http://images.powersportsnetwork.com...frontwheel.gif

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...=1991&fveh=431

katoranger 05-05-2012 09:48 AM

I had the lining separate from a shoe on my virago. Lock the rear tire up making a left turn at busy intersection. 8O I had noticed some stickiness prior to that.

davidsonsgccc 05-05-2012 10:24 AM

hopefully i can get into it today after work it depends on if i skip some yard work. at least tomorrow and i will try to remember and take some pics. thanks for the offer weld i will see how long they are.

Weldangrind 05-05-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger
I had the lining separate from a shoe on my virago. Lock the rear tire up making a left turn at busy intersection. 8O I had noticed some stickiness prior to that.

Thanks for sharing that, Kato. 8O That never occurred to me.

Weldangrind 05-05-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

hopefully i can get into it today after work it depends on if i skip some yard work. at least tomorrow and i will try to remember and take some pics. thanks for the offer weld i will see how long they are.

You're welcome. Honda stuff is so prevalent in the China bike world, that I wouldn't be surprised to find a match with an XR200. I've noticed that Honda is really good at using the same part number across multiple platforms, so parts are very plentiful.

katoranger 05-05-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:

Thanks for sharing that, Kato. 8O That never occurred to me.

I think the broken spring is more likely.

SpudRider 05-05-2012 03:41 PM

David's brake symptom, "popping on takeoff," is a bit vaque. ;) Whenever you have any problems with the brakes, you need to pull them apart and inspect them immediately. ;) The stock, rear brake on my Zong was catching occasionally, and engaging in a peculiar manner. When I removed the rear brake assembly I discovered a broken spring. 8O Needless to say, the brake shoes will shift it they are held with only one spring. :roll:

I actually waited to long to inspect the brake assembly, but I was still learning how to maintain motorcycles at that time. :roll: That brake spring failed pretty early in the life of my Zong, maybe around 10,000 miles on the odometer. Those brake springs are very strong, but they are subjected to a lot of force; therefore, they will break. 8O

Now I inspect every component of any wheel I remove for any reason. ;) Needless to say, the brake shoes, brake pads, and brake rotors receive a good inspection every time I remove any wheel. :idea:

SpudRider 05-05-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Even if you can't do the inspection today, I encourage you to examine the rear brake before you do any more riding, Sean (Shawn). ;) Please do take some photographs; they will be an excellent addition to this thread, which already been added to the Zong Sticky. :)

If you have any significant problems with your rear brake assembly, please let us know. I have a brand new, Zongshen, rear brake assembly for sale, complete with all components, including brake shoes and brake springs. ;)

katoranger 05-05-2012 03:49 PM

Spud must check weekly then. That is how long his tires last. :lol:

SpudRider 05-05-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Spud must check weekly then. That is how long his tires last. :lol:

:lol:

Spud :lol:

davidsonsgccc 05-06-2012 08:39 AM

i know this sounds bad but i have been riding every day for few weeks. had to do yard work yesterday but im going to visit my parents today and my dad has a great garage so hopefully i will get into it there.

the idea of the brakes locking is awful scary though.

Weldangrind 05-06-2012 12:50 PM

Are you riding to your parents or trailering the bike? If you're riding, bring some tools along (don't know how far the journey is).

10 years ago, a friend of mine bought an old Pontiac, and he was complaining that the brakes didn't feel right, so he asked for my help. We pulled the rear drum on the passenger side, and there was no shoe material left at all. That was the good side.

The driver's side had worn so badly that the adjuster assembly fell out of the space between the shoes, and the edge of the fork got caught betweent the shoe and the drum. The fork was ground to a very sharp point.

What's worse is that there was a fuel leak, directly over the rear drum. The recipe would have been disastrous, had we not pulled it apart. 8O

SpudRider 05-06-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

i know this sounds bad but i have been riding every day for few weeks. had to do yard work yesterday but im going to visit my parents today and my dad has a great garage so hopefully i will get into it there.

the idea of the brakes locking is awful scary though.

A broken spring won't cause the rear brake shoes to lock. However, I think it's wise to discover the problem as quickly as possible. ;)

SpudRider 05-07-2012 12:25 AM

One of our newest forum members, Obso, posted a link to an eBay vendor selling the correct brake shoes for the Zongshen 200GY-2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310395965606...#ht_843wt_1108

Based upon my research, and my examination of the stock, Zongshen brake shoes, the SOK 204 brake shoes should also fit the Zongshen 200GY-2. Thanks for providing the great link, Obso! :D

davidsonsgccc 05-07-2012 07:42 PM

well i was able to check out my rear brakes today and they looked really good still nothing broken. upon futher inspection 1 of my rear wheel bearings was coming apart and some of the bearings were touching it appears the retainer on the inside of the bearing has come out. this is the only thing i could find so it has to be my popping noise when taking off in the mornings. i greased it and put it back together and it only made the sound once since then so im going to order some bearings pronto.

i hav taken some pictures but my works fire wall wont let me upload from phone to photo bucket. i will try again but for now no photos sorry.

thanks for everones input. now to find the bearings.

Weldangrind 05-07-2012 09:09 PM

Did you note the numbers on the bearings? If so, any local bearing shop can supply them for you for a reasonable price. Glad to hear that your bbrakes aren't coming apart.

davidsonsgccc 05-07-2012 09:32 PM

well the zongshen sticky that spud built has the bearing numbers and references to where to find them. i may look at the local bearing vendors to see what they offer. currently i have found the front and rear bearings for 22.69 plus shipping of 6.09 that is a pretty good price but if the local shop if it is close in price i will probably go with them just to support my community and avoid the wait.
:D

i just want to say thanks to spud for putting together such a priceless resource. :P
im sure many chinabike owners have felt in the dark when it comes to knowledge and parts resources zongshen or any chinabike builder for that matter could greatly improve their customer relations and sales if they had someone like spud working for them.

thanks again

Weldangrind 05-07-2012 09:37 PM

We can only imagine how far Spud's research has reached. :D

You'll likely find them for a lower price locally.

SpudRider 05-08-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

well the zongshen sticky that spud built has the bearing numbers and references to where to find them. i may look at the local bearing vendors to see what they offer. currently i have found the front and rear bearings for 22.69 plus shipping of 6.09 that is a pretty good price but if the local shop if it is close in price i will probably go with them just to support my community and avoid the wait.
:D

i just want to say thanks to spud for putting together such a priceless resource. :P
im sure many chinabike owners have felt in the dark when it comes to knowledge and parts resources zongshen or any chinabike builder for that matter could greatly improve their customer relations and sales if they had someone like spud working for them.

thanks again

You're welcome, Sean. Thank you for your kind words. :D

davidsonsgccc 05-08-2012 07:42 PM

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/w...1336462369.jpg[url]

finally posted picture of the bad bearing. i packed with grease and put back together and noise seems to be gone so bearings should definitely fix it.

Weldangrind 05-08-2012 08:36 PM

I recommend sealed bearings. Don't know why they don't install them in the factory, because these bearings are not greasable, and the cost difference is negligible.

davidsonsgccc 05-08-2012 08:41 PM

i agree. these bearings i believe were considered sealed they have a plastic cover that i removed to expose the balls. the inside however was already off and the ball bearing retainer was out of place. a good snapped in metl cover would difinitely be better

Weldangrind 05-08-2012 08:43 PM

The sealed bearings I buy have a plastic cover on both sides, and they last a long time.

SpudRider 05-08-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The sealed bearings I buy have a plastic cover on both sides, and they last a long time.

As usual, I agree. ;) I buy 2RS bearings which have two rubber seals. :)

Weldangrind 05-09-2012 12:02 AM

I guess it would be rubber and not plastic; never pried one apart, and never thought about it.

SpudRider 05-09-2012 12:07 AM

I recommend whenever one hears a strange noise, or his bike behaves improperly, he should quickly inspect the bike to discover the source of the problem. ;)

Since we only have two wheels to balance upon, I inspect all components of a wheel whenever I need to remove it. ;) In particular, I always inspect the following items.

Wheel Bearings
Hub Integrity
Replace/Tighten Spokes
Rim Integrity
Brake Drum/Caliper
Brake Shoes/Pads
Tire Tread
Tire Pressure

When changing a tire I also inspect the following items.

Spokes protruding through spoke nipples
Inner Tube Integrity
Rim Strip Integrity

davidsonsgccc 05-09-2012 12:43 AM

i need to do a better job of maintaining my bike. i work so much its hard to find the time but that excuse wont help much when im stranded. 8O

forgive my messed up signature i have been trying to fix it. this machine is possessed :twisted: