ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Anyone near this route? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10785)

katoranger 04-02-2012 02:22 PM

Anyone near this route?

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Au...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

FastDoc 04-02-2012 02:34 PM

Not me bro but you'll be passing through some beautiful country.

katoranger 04-02-2012 02:42 PM

Looking for places to stop since I will driving a 15 year old car pushing 200K with a trailer load of stuff that I wish to not be stolen. Also Buford the Cat will need a break at some point.

Breaking the news to the group now. Looks like I am awaiting the official job offer on a transfer to Kansas. The family cat, myself, and the tractors will likely make the move first. Probably be May 6-7.

Will be making the same trip driving two more cars a few weeks later. Won't have the trailer though. Things will be more secured.

If anyone is close to this route and wouldn't mind me and a loafing cat to stop for alittle while.

FastDoc 04-02-2012 02:48 PM

I'm afraid I don't even know anyone along your route.

I'm only moving 5 miles and I get panic attacks thinking about it.

katoranger 04-02-2012 03:07 PM

I have people in Alabama. It is not that far along though. Don't know anyone past there really.

2LZ 04-02-2012 07:55 PM

Sure don't know anyoneon that route....but I'm smack dab in the middle of moving and I know what Doc's talking about. I hope yours is a smooth one and much luck to you.

katoranger 04-02-2012 08:58 PM

Buford will make the drive a challenge.

Looks like not many people out that way.

Weldangrind 04-02-2012 09:17 PM

Maybe someone on the route will chime in. All Buford will need is a comfy cat bed on the back seat and a litter box; we used the type with a hood over it. After a while, he'll get tired of freaking out, and he'll curl up and relax. I recommend earplugs.

katoranger 04-02-2012 09:23 PM

I am thinking that it may be better to just drive and get it over with too. I can stop and take breaks and just keep going until we get there.

My old car will probably need some breaks after a few hills also.

FastDoc 04-02-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ
Sure don't know anyoneon that route....but I'm smack dab in the middle of moving and I know what Doc's talking about. I hope yours is a smooth one and much luck to you.

Where to?

2LZ 04-03-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastDoc
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ

Where to?

One of your favorite areas, Doc.... Amador Co. The thriving metropolis of Volcano. We got a place 1.5 miles west of Dafodil Hill on Shake Ridge.

FastDoc 04-03-2012 05:08 PM

I'm very familiar. :D

My ex's ex (sounds strange but makes sense) lived on on Daffodil Hill. I forgot the name of the street but I think it's the same. Nice enough guy. Jacka$$ should have warned me not to marry his ex but whatever... :evil:

Beautiful area, Volcano, especially if you like Kirkwood. Great ride to Sonora through Angel's Camp etc. 8)

I SERIOUSLY considered moving home rather than staying in Washington, but I'm broke and can't afford the temporary but large drop in income associated with starting a new practice.

Also, WHEN I go back to California, its going to be San Luis Obisbo.

SpudRider 04-04-2012 12:08 AM

Please keep us updated as the trip approaches, Allen. :) Also, please send me some stainless steel mesh before you move! :lol:

Spud :)

katoranger 04-05-2012 09:48 AM

I am now taking the much newer minivan. It will still be loaded with stuff and a trailer.

FYI. I am moving to Kansas.

Weldangrind 04-05-2012 10:51 AM

Congratulations! It sounds like a done deal. Good luck on the trip; do you plan to just crash in the van if you need a break?

katoranger 04-05-2012 11:26 AM

I plan to make the whole drive in one long day with plenty of stops. With the load I will keep the speeds down too.

SpudRider 04-05-2012 01:05 PM

You can do that trip in one day, Allen. :) You will be tired, and you might need to take a few naps, but you can make it in one day. ;)

FastDoc 04-05-2012 01:16 PM

That's what I would so. I'd rather have one long hard day and get it over with.

I suggest when you arrive keep Buford indoors for a few days and then let him out for short periods with supervision so he knows where home is and does not get scared and lost.

katoranger 04-05-2012 01:37 PM

I was going to keep him in the shop and let him adjust to his new environment.

I have driven 16 hours many times. That is the drive from here to Pella, IA.

Buford I think would rather get it over with also.

FastDoc 04-05-2012 02:07 PM

When taking long drives with cats I find it helps to share the driving. That way you can rest and pee in the litterbox and not have to stop so often.

katoranger 04-05-2012 03:52 PM

Maybe I should turn on the heated seat.

Weldangrind 04-06-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger
Maybe I should turn on the heated seat.

I bet that Buford would love that.

12 hours is about my limit these days. I used to drive ridiculous distances in one stretch, but I start to hallucinate after 12 now.

SpudRider 04-06-2012 02:55 PM

Indeed, 12 hours is a long day in the saddle. ;) However, in certain instances, such as this one, it's nice to complete the trip in one day, if possible. :)

MICRider 04-06-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

When taking long drives with cats I find it helps to share the driving. That way you can rest and pee in the litterbox and not have to stop so often.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heck, Bufords big enough to almost reach the pedals to boot! :)

MICRider 04-06-2012 07:34 PM

You guys have all got me beat, I'm not much of a long distance driver... I'd make a lousy truck driver! :lol:

FastDoc 04-06-2012 07:39 PM

When I was in residency I drove solo straight from Connecticut to Orlando, Florida. 20 hours. 8O

Yes a girl was involved. :P

Yes it was worth it. :wink:

I'd never do that again though.

katoranger 04-06-2012 08:52 PM

I will have to stop and rest a couple times. If I stop for a night I will feel like I am wasting time. The van is comfortable and doesn't wear me out like other vehicles. 14 hours is very doable on my own.

Also sold my car today. :cry: I liked that car, but it is for the best.

SpudRider 04-06-2012 10:05 PM

I'm sure the car sale will work out for the best, Allen. :) It's tough to transfer vehicles across the country. ;)

Weldangrind 04-07-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

I will have to stop and rest a couple times. If I stop for a night I will feel like I am wasting time. The van is comfortable and doesn't wear me out like other vehicles. 14 hours is very doable on my own.

You sold the Buick crew cab?

katoranger 04-09-2012 09:36 AM

Yep. I did make one last run to the scrap pile with it.

The car was sold to a Canadian.

MICRider 04-09-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Those darn Canadians, they're everywhere! :lol:

katoranger 04-09-2012 09:45 AM

It is now in the hood of Atlanta. Probably getting 20s as we speak.

FastDoc 04-09-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Sory to hear you had to sell the car but not having to move it and the money right now will be a blessing.

katoranger 04-09-2012 11:47 AM

Moving the money is alot easier than the car. I plan to use it to pay off the van. We can get rid of a car payment before we move.

Also our receptionist turned my on to kitty prozac. Said it knock her cat out for the drive.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Fluoxetin...G&ID=201599402

katoranger 04-09-2012 12:52 PM

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...408_191705.jpg

FastDoc 04-09-2012 01:28 PM

Are you sure Buford is a Felix domesticus? Looks bigger. Maybe a small lion? :wink:

SpudRider 04-09-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:

Those darn Canadians, they're everywhere! :lol:

Exactly! They come down here, and take all of our good stuff back north, across the border! :lol:

I'm just kidding! I love our Canadian brothers! :lol:

SpudRider 04-09-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

That beautiful photograph says it all! :D How could anyone leave poor Buford behind in Georgia! ;)

Spud :D

SpudRider 04-09-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Moving the money is alot easier than the car. I plan to use it to pay off the van. We can get rid of a car payment before we move.

Also our receptionist turned my on to kitty prozac. Said it knock her cat out for the drive.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Fluoxetin...G&ID=201599402

That's an excellent idea. :D I knew you could "relax" Buford for this trip with a prescription. ;)

katoranger 04-09-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Are you sure Buford is a Felix domesticus? Looks bigger. Maybe a small lion? :wink:

I will need a large carrier. The typical cat size won't fit him. He looks much bigger in the pic than he really is. Petco has carriers for $22. The also have "calming" aides.