ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Finally got my storm!!! (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21568)

Nyccooldude 06-20-2018 10:06 PM

Finally got my storm!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys so I finally got my Storm and have no idea how to PUT her together!!! I've got the wheels and kickstand on so I can roll it around. Can anyone help me or at least an idea on how to put in the speedometer sensor?

ChipToothy 06-20-2018 10:11 PM

Welcome to the Storm club. I had no idea what I was doing a month ago but can tell you that having a tube of axle grease, 2 quarts of the right oil and 243 Loctite all on the ready is imperative to begin.

Nyccooldude 06-20-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipToothy (Post 284092)
Welcome to the Storm club. I had no idea what I was doing a month ago but can tell you that having a tube of axle grease, 2 quarts of the right oil and 243 Loctite all on the ready is imperative to begin.

Yeah I've been reading a lot of info here and I got myself 2 qts of t4 15-40 oil, loctite and hi temp grease as well as axle grease :clap:. I just need to know how the speed sensor is installed

Megadan 06-21-2018 04:55 AM

Speedometer sensor mounts between the right fork and the wheel. It should have 2-4 tangs that line up with slots in the wheel to drive it, and the axle bolt goes through it then through the wheel. You will see a tab on the speedo sensor that is designed to come in contact with another tab on the fork lower that helps locate and hold said speed sensor from freely rotating. Make sure it rests on the tab in the right position.On the other side of the wheel should be a spacer between the wheel and the left fork.

Hopefully another Storm owner can come to the rescue with a picture that shows you what I am talking about.

goat67 06-21-2018 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 284107)
Speedometer sensor mounts between the right fork and the wheel.
It has 2 tangs that line up with slots in the wheel to drive it.
The axle bolt goes through it then through the wheel.
You will see a tab on the speedo sensor that is designed to come in contact with another tab on the fork lower that helps locate and hold said speed sensor from freely rotating.
Make sure it rests on the tab in the right position.
On the other side of the wheel a spacer is between the wheel and the left fork.

This is exactly how to assemble this. If you must have a picture let us know but this description should be sufficient.

Weldangrind 06-21-2018 10:57 AM

That is a really sharp bike! I love the Storm wide saddle, counter-balanced engine and USD forks.

Nyccooldude 06-21-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 284127)
That is a really sharp bike! I love the Storm wide saddle, counter-balanced engine and USD forks.

I wasn't really fond of the orange but seeing it in person it's a different story now lol.

Nyccooldude 06-21-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 284107)
Speedometer sensor mounts between the right fork and the wheel. It should have 2-4 tangs that line up with slots in the wheel to drive it, and the axle bolt goes through it then through the wheel. You will see a tab on the speedo sensor that is designed to come in contact with another tab on the fork lower that helps locate and hold said speed sensor from freely rotating. Make sure it rests on the tab in the right position.On the other side of the wheel should be a spacer between the wheel and the left fork.

Hopefully another Storm owner can come to the rescue with a picture that shows you what I am talking about.

Yeah this helped a lot!!! I got it on and now loctite is going on every location possible. Thanks for the info :tup:

JerryHawk250 06-21-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyccooldude (Post 284146)
I wasn't really fond of the orange but seeing it in person it's a different story now lol.

Nice looking bike. I always like the orange. :tup: The hawk isn't available in orange so it was either blue or black.
If you have any questions on assembly of the Storm I would hit Cravin01 up on questions. I'm surprise he hasn't jumped in yet. He has a few videos posted up on here.

slowroller 06-21-2018 03:23 PM

Thats a sharp bike.

slowroller 06-21-2018 03:42 PM

Really like silver or chrome whatever wheels.

Nyccooldude 06-21-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowroller (Post 284161)
Really like silver or chrome whatever wheels.

You know with all the hype I never noticed they are chrome!

Nyccooldude 06-21-2018 06:30 PM

:doh: So does anyone know what kind of batteries fit on this bike? I dropped mine and it cracked leaking acid on my driveway.

Cravin01 06-21-2018 07:26 PM

It's just as Dan said. I do have some video of putting the front wheel on but I didn't get too in depth with it or the sensor, as you now know there are lots of little things going on in putting one together.

Now that I have the blue I'd like to have the orange, but after having the orange I know I would want the green or maybe the red.I think black would be my favorite .....unless the made it in white.

Nice bike.

Nyccooldude 06-21-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cravin01 (Post 284186)
It's just as Dan said. I do have some video of putting the front wheel on but I didn't get too in depth with it or the sensor, as you now know there are lots of little things going on in putting one together.

Now that I have the blue I'd like to have the orange, but after having the orange I know I would want the green or maybe the red.I think black would be my favorite .....unless the made it in white.

Nice bike.

I've actually used your vids from you tube and wrote to you asking about the fuel gauge caps.
I would love the blue one or black as well

Cravin01 06-21-2018 08:38 PM

As far as your battery I think I would look into something like Dan came up with since you need one now.

Breaking that battery was probably a blessing. I use a battery maintainer on mine but will eventually replace it with something like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink28144-20

Walmart has bike batteries if you just need one now and I'm sure that would still be an upgrade.

Nyccooldude 06-21-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cravin01 (Post 284189)
As far as your battery I think I would look into something like Dan came up with since you need one now.

Breaking that battery was probably a blessing. I use a battery maintainer on mine but will eventually replace it with something like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink28144-20

Walmart has bike batteries if you just need one now and I'm sure that would still be an upgrade.

Yeah from what i've read this stock battery is really trash.
I've never used a gel battery before so this will be interesting.
Also do you have more pics on the headlight mod you did because this stock light looks like a refrigerator bulb lol

humanbeing 06-21-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyccooldude (Post 284196)
Yeah from what i've read this stock battery is really trash...

Depends on what batch some Storm had Yuasa 12N7A-3A as stock which is an oddball (size exactly as TTR225 BUT the terminal position :cry:)

Jeff Richardson 06-21-2018 11:54 PM

My old man got the orange storm it's really a sweet bike. Out of box tuned perfect and really rides and corners nice. Like the gearing I decided to at least put a 17t front sproket on my hawk. Also used the same 32psi front and 40psi back as hawk. Some reason the bike was stamped at 40/40 but that didn't seem right. Not a fan of the alarm system though. Mounted under the seat and big bumps have been making some interesting chirps. ��

Nyccooldude 06-22-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Richardson (Post 284203)
My old man got the orange storm it's really a sweet bike. Out of box tuned perfect and really rides and corners nice. Like the gearing I decided to at least put a 17t front sproket on my hawk. Also used the same 32psi front and 40psi back as hawk. Some reason the bike was stamped at 40/40 but that didn't seem right. Not a fan of the alarm system though. Mounted under the seat and big bumps have been making some interesting chirps. ��

I'm trying to figure out which sproket setup I should go with myself. I'm 5'2" 167lbs not fat just stocky. Bike is tall enough lol. I may go with smaller rims later if possible at all

BlackBike 06-22-2018 03:24 AM

Order one of those cheap universal spoke wrenches and save yourself some grief.

Nyccooldude 06-22-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 284214)
Order one of those cheap universal spoke wrenches and save yourself some grief.

Noob Question in 3-2-1
Why exactly do I need one?

ChipToothy 06-22-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyccooldude (Post 284208)
I'm trying to figure out which sproket setup I should go with myself. I'm 5'2" 167lbs not fat just stocky. Bike is tall enough lol. I may go with smaller rims later if possible at all

If you need a lower bike you can always just slice the saddle foam down by 2" and re-staplegun the cover back on. Tons of DIY videos for doing it on youtube. I did mine and am 5' 10", it allowed me to touch my entire foot to the ground w/o having to slide off to the side of the saddle.

Nyccooldude 06-22-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipToothy (Post 284277)
If you need a lower bike you can always just slice the saddle foam down by 2" and re-staplegun the cover back on. Tons of DIY videos for doing it on youtube. I did mine and am 5' 10", it allowed me to touch my entire foot to the ground w/o having to slide off to the side of the saddle.

Oh ok I'll give that a look. Thanks :tup:

Cravin01 06-22-2018 07:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These are the pics I have, the bulb was large.

timcosby 06-22-2018 09:49 PM

is there a 3 prong female connector on the back of the oem grey palstic bulb holder? if not cut em and splice.

Nyccooldude 06-22-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cravin01 (Post 284284)
These are the pics I have, the bulb was large.

That looks like an H4 bulb. I have a few LED's from my Subaru never installed. I may use one of them to try and fab something like this up.
Also where did you get the adapter from?

Cravin01 06-22-2018 11:29 PM

It is a H4 bulb and the adapters came with it, it's a universal bulb set up with the adapters. I got it off of Amazon.

Nyccooldude 06-23-2018 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cravin01 (Post 284302)
It is a H4 bulb and the adapters came with it, it's a universal bulb set up with the adapters. I got it off of Amazon.

Is the link on your video? Also just wanted to say thank you. You been awesome with the info like everyone else here.

Megadan 06-23-2018 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyccooldude (Post 284311)
Is the link on your video? Also just wanted to say thank you. You been awesome with the info like everyone else here.

Yessir, he is definitely a huge help for all of you Storm guys on here. We have had plenty of Hawkers for a while, but nobody has really stepped up to the plate to document information on the Storm until he came along.

Nyccooldude 06-23-2018 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 284312)
Yessir, he is definitely a huge help for all of you Storm guys on here. We have had plenty of Hawkers for a while, but nobody has really stepped up to the plate to document information on the Storm until he came along.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of this forum do to all the info. No drama so far and there is always someone willing to help without hesitation!!!

Cravin01 06-23-2018 11:26 AM

Thank's for the kind word boths of you! I Have some more vids planned I just am short on time or the heat keeps me out of the garage.

Here is the link to the H4 I bought that comes with the adapers, I did have to grind the tabs a little and then I glued it in place.

If I ever do need to replace it it will be much easier and these universal H4's are everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcosby (Post 284295)
is there a 3 prong female connector on the back of the oem grey palstic bulb holder? if not cut em and splice.

I decided to cut and splice once I thought about how often I will have to replace it, It says it can have a life span up 30,000 hours so I think I'm good for a few weeks...:D

wedooit 06-23-2018 01:25 PM

I like the orange! I am also looking at the storm, i am a short dude. Have found some storms in Salt Lake, as am only a few hours away. Going to go look at them, they want about 1900.00 assembled, and jetted for our altitude. Then the 6% tax. Have studied the CSCTT250, but dont know if it is worth the extra $$$$. Like megadan talked about refurb motor cyles, I cant find a decent used jap bike, without spending more dollars to rebuild, in a decent price range. I found a complete rebuilt tw200, 1989 i think, for a couple thousand, 4 hour drive. I hope there is as many aftermarket parts for the storm, as the hawk. Any more thought?

wedooit 06-23-2018 01:27 PM

Thanks to cravin01 for your videos! The cat modification is kool, except if my wife caught me with parts on the kitchen table, hmmmm would be a bad day! We are lucky to have our own shop and welding equipment. Oh, forgot to mention cravin 2nd amendment shirt! We are also firearms instructors, and staunch 2nd amendment supporters as well. Very nice!

Nyccooldude 06-23-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedooit (Post 284347)
I like the orange! I am also looking at the storm, i am a short dude. Have found some storms in Salt Lake, as am only a few hours away. Going to go look at them, they want about 1900.00 assembled, and jetted for our altitude. Then the 6% tax. Have studied the CSCTT250, but dont know if it is worth the extra $$$$. Like megadan talked about refurb motor cyles, I cant find a decent used jap bike, without spending more dollars to rebuild, in a decent price range. I found a complete rebuilt tw200, 1989 i think, for a couple thousand, 4 hour drive. I hope there is as many aftermarket parts for the storm, as the hawk. Any more thought?

Yeah the storm is pretty good but if your 5'-6" and under its way to tall. I'll be doing the seat mod to shave off 2". From what I hear the magician is the shortest ride height. As far as parts they all pretty much share the same frame so parts are available. If you need anything else just ask away here, these guys will help you as much as they can.

Buffalorider 06-23-2018 04:45 PM

My storm comes in Thursday and I'm already dreading adding my aftermarket samdo speedo . ill post a lot of my storm, the assembly and the speedo mod. I'll be taking a few days to assemble the bike though to make sure I go over everything with locktite and speedo will take me hoursss

Nyccooldude 06-23-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalorider (Post 284354)
My storm comes in Thursday and I'm already dreading adding my aftermarket samdo speedo . ill post a lot of my storm, the assembly and the speedo mod. I'll be taking a few days to assemble the bike though to make sure I go over everything with locktite and speedo will take me hoursss

From what I'm looking at, it doesn't seem to bad. My speedo is coming next week so we'll be in the same boat

Megadan 06-24-2018 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyccooldude (Post 284349)
Yeah the storm is pretty good but if your 5'-6" and under its way to tall. I'll be doing the seat mod to shave off 2". From what I hear the magician is the shortest ride height. As far as parts they all pretty much share the same frame so parts are available. If you need anything else just ask away here, these guys will help you as much as they can.

Magician has a 31-32" seat height, only 3 or so inches lower than the Hawk, which makes it about the same height as a Storm. The one thing the Magician does have is a narrower seat, which makes it easier to get your feet down.

pete 06-24-2018 04:10 AM

these seat hights are unladen spec hights..
the real world hight when seated is a lot lower...

Nyccooldude 06-24-2018 03:49 PM

:clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 284377)
these seat hights are unladen spec hights..
the real world hight when seated is a lot lower...

I'm 5'-2" 165lbs I need a lower ride lol