ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Tmec-200 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13898)

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:18 PM

Tmec-200

2 Attachment(s)
HI guys! New here, well kind of as I joined years ago after getting the kids some chinese atvs. Sure reminded me of the good old days with the mini-bikes, dirt bikes, and 3-wheelers. Countless hours on the paper routes to get toys, the kids of today just have no clue.

Anyway purchased a TMEC-200 from Mefast last November and now just getting to posting here. The delivery was drop shipped direct from Wade @ xcalibur motorsports. Everything was recieved and went together as expected. Just the normal Chinese bike crap that I had to deal with like plastic fitment, shoddy bolts, welds, etc. This post will not be about setup just my ramblings of ownership and what I have done to make it how I want it. I have owned motorcycles my whole life and no matter the manufacture and type there still are things I always seem to do to make it mine. I now have about ~600 miles on the bike of on and off road.

Now for some pics

Matt

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:28 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 1

1 Attachment(s)
I choose to leave the passenger pegs off as I never plan to carry one on this bike and truthfully I dont feel the bike is really built for it.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:34 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 2

1 Attachment(s)
Removed all the epa carb crap, built a block off plate and used a vacuum plug on the carb intake. The engine is now about 35% quieter and the odd valve noise is now gone. Engine runs cooler and has more power throughout the rpm range.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:36 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 3

1 Attachment(s)
Removed the low hanging reflector. I cut off the lic plate holder, looks much better now.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:38 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 4

1 Attachment(s)
Removed the squishy chinese rubber chain guide roller. I turned a black acetal replacement on the lathe that will last a life time.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:40 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 5

2 Attachment(s)
The side faring connecting rod does not line up with the bolting hole. I need to cut the tab off and reweld but for now I just did this.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:43 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 6

1 Attachment(s)
The irritating turn signal buzzer lasted about ONE turn. Ha Ha I made a funny! Only picture I have but it was very simple. Take the black box apart and clip the small black piezo speaker wires to remove it. Also taped the hole as water would just fill up the plastic box.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:46 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 7

2 Attachment(s)
I rerouted the front brake cable to the inside of the fork. During off road it sure liked to get caught on branches and crap. Zero issues now.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:47 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 8

1 Attachment(s)
Replaced the stock foot pegs with some KLR650 ones that sell on ebay for $20. Next I will cut the mounts off and reweld in proper position. Dam chinese squares.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:50 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 9

1 Attachment(s)
Reversed the direction of the stand springs. The holding seems much better this way and the stand never sags like it did before. Next I will remove the pin style mounts and move them out of the way. They are a pain in the ass while off road riding and constantly catches the back of my boot.

mmprestine 07-23-2014 04:55 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 10

3 Attachment(s)
I purchased a new set of Shinko's while motorcycle superstore had them on sale and free shipping also. Was like ~$70 to my door for the set. I will trash the stockers first.

Weldangrind 07-23-2014 08:59 PM

Welcome back! I like what you've done with your TMEC, and the pics are terrific.

That vacuum port can now operate a vacuum gauge, which can give you an idea of fuel economy at a given speed, among other info.

Exactly how does the footpeg mount need to be corrected? Position relative to the brake pedal?

Nice work on the chain roller. Is it UHMW?

Thanks for the tip on dismantling the flasher and clipping the piezo wire. Hadn't thought of that.

SpudRider 07-24-2014 08:15 AM

You have done excellent work. :tup: Thanks for posting all the great tips, and the superb photographs. :)

SpudRider 07-24-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 169839)
Removed the squishy chinese rubber chain guide roller. I turned a black acetal replacement on the lathe that will last a life time.

:tup:

For those who don't have access to a lathe, perhaps one of these chain rollers will work as well. ;)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...chain%20roller

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/im..._07_178646.jpg

SpudRider 07-24-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 169843)
Replaced the stock foot pegs with some KLR650 ones that sell on ebay for $20. Next I will cut the mounts off and reweld in proper position. Dam chinese squares.

Did the KLR650 foot pegs fit without any modification? :tup:

How do you plan to modify the foot peg mounts?

SpudRider 07-24-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 169845)
I purchased a new set of Shinko's while motorcycle superstore had them on sale and free shipping also. Was like ~$70 to my door for the set. I will trash the stockers first.

You got a great deal on those excellent, Shinko tires. :) I must say, the stock tires have a very nice, aggressive tread pattern. :tup:

bogieboy 07-24-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 169867)
:tup:

For those who don't have access to a lathe, perhaps one of these chain guide rollers will work as well. ;)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...chain%20roller

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/im..._07_178646.jpg

would this be in place of the slider on the swingarm or in addition to it? i dnt believe my shineray has a roller in the system, but it does have the rubber slider on the swingarm...

SpudRider 07-24-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 169871)
would this be in place of the slider on the swingarm or in addition to it? i dnt believe my shineray has a roller in the system, but it does have the rubber slider on the swingarm...

This chain roller is an additional item, which is located near the counter shaft sprocket. Some bikes have them, and some don't. My two Honda motorcycles have these chain rollers, but my Zongshen bike does not. ;)

mmprestine 07-24-2014 12:59 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

Funny you mention the vac gauge as I have already put mine on there to get the mixture screw perfect. The stock jets are actually pretty good but I think I can dial it in a bit more. I have a jet drill kit that works pretty well. Once I do jet testing I then buy what I only need and use the vac gauge again to dial in the mixture screw.

I will take some more pictures of the foot pegs. From the top view you will see how crappy the were put on the TMEC. Both face forward and are tilted.

Acetal is just a type of delrin that is like UHMW but it is harder, self lubricating, and machines better and is just a good replacement for steel when plastic is needed. I have both but like the acetal better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 169851)
Welcome back! I like what you've done with your TMEC, and the pics are terrific.

That vacuum port can now operate a vacuum gauge, which can give you an idea of fuel economy at a given speed, among other info.

Exactly how does the footpeg mount need to be corrected? Position relative to the brake pedal?

Nice work on the chain roller. Is it UHMW?

Thanks for the tip on dismantling the flasher and clipping the piezo wire. Hadn't thought of that.

mmprestine 07-24-2014 01:01 PM

They bolt right in place of the stockers but I did have to rework the return springs a bit. The new ones are just hands down better for my needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 169869)
Did the KLR650 foot pegs fit without any modification? :tup:

How do you plan to modify the foot peg mounts?

mmprestine 07-24-2014 01:09 PM

The stock tires are actually pretty good and why I am leaving them on. They are great off road as that is what the tread patter is designed for but really suck in the rain on black top. At this point I feel that I will get between 3-4K on the stock rear before I change. I only bought the Shinkos because of the amazing deal motorcycle superstore had on them this spring. The rear Shinko is wider so it will be interesting to see how that tire rides and handles. The tread pattern should work well for me as I do 50/50 travels. I have some streeters on my CX500 that are very good for what you pay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 169870)
You got a great deal on those excellent, Shinko tires. :) I must say, the stock tires have a very nice, aggressive tread pattern. :tup:

mmprestine 07-24-2014 01:14 PM

As explained, it is in addition to the upper chain plate. On the TMEC the lower chain return would ride on top of a cross member and wear it out if this roller did not exist. The crap rubber one that came on the bike wore out in 20 miles and the chain was rubbing metal to metal. Not cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 169871)

Weldangrind 07-24-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 169887)
Thanks for the welcome.

Funny you mention the vac gauge as I have already put mine on there to get the mixture screw perfect. The stock jets are actually pretty good but I think I can dial it in a bit more. I have a jet drill kit that works pretty well. Once I do jet testing I then buy what I only need and use the vac gauge again to dial in the mixture screw.

I will take some more pictures of the foot pegs. From the top view you will see how crappy the were put on the TMEC. Both face forward and are tilted.

Acetal is just a type of delrin that is like UHMW but it is harder, self lubricating, and machines better and is just a good replacement for steel when plastic is needed. I have both but like the acetal better.

Good point on using the vac gauge for dialing in the pilot mixture screw; I had forgotten about that. I also drill jets to suit, but not with a specific jet drill kit. I have a numbered and lettered index that goes to about 60, IIRC.

Delrin is an excellent choice. I've installed Delrin bushings in hydraulic lifts, and they never seem to wear.

footer 07-24-2014 04:38 PM

wow - not check in for a few days, and a ton of new info on the bike! i want to do some of that to mine!! lol. not that I've had any issues, but if its better…. especially whatever you did to make it run cooler, mine gets pretty warm running around town. where in wisconsin are you? I'm in monroe, south of madison.

mmprestine 07-25-2014 10:39 AM

Ya saw all the posting for the TMEC and thought I better get off my arse since I had this black beauty for awhile now.

I didnt get any temp readings prior to removing all the EPA stuff but I will take some now though. I have one of those IR thermometers from HF and will take some reading after riding this weekend. It is a bit relative as I have no control data but perhaps you can take some to compare with.

I live in Green Bay. Off road there are many places near here. Just to the north in all the forests are great. There are several dual sport clubs (DS) that have worked to get access to many of the ATV trails and there are also the fire and logging roads.

This site is pretty good for multi-use trails in WI and the UP:

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/

As an example I plan to take a ride over to Kewaunee to check out Lake Michigan, pick up some salmon and will stop at this ORV park near there.

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/kewaunee.html

This is my trip the weekend after next. I have three days off work so I plan to camp and travel the UP. About 1hr 45 min from me. Upper Peninsula of Michigan for those non cheese heads. When I travel around the country for work it is funny how so many people think it is part of Wisconsin. Probably should be.

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/norway.html

DS clubs. Not a member but plan to connect on a rides this fall.

http://www.widualsportriders.org/v3/default.asp

http://www.gldsmc.org/

Matt

Quote:

Originally Posted by footer (Post 169901)
wow - not check in for a few days, and a ton of new info on the bike! i want to do some of that to mine!! lol. not that I've had any issues, but if its better…. especially whatever you did to make it run cooler, mine gets pretty warm running around town. where in wisconsin are you? I'm in monroe, south of madison.

mmprestine 07-25-2014 12:18 PM

TMEC-200 Mod 11

2 Attachment(s)
After riding the bike for awhile I noticed that the head set nut was loose. In an attempt to tighten it, I then became aware that it was just stripped and not loose. Upon inspection with a dial caliper I found that the diameter was to large to support proper threading engagement to the fork stem. With some research I found that the threading is common with Honda and replaced my nut and washer with the following parts. Thankfully it was just the nut and not the fork stem. Gotter nice and tight now.

Honda parts: Washer and Nut - Thread size is 24mm x 1mm pitch.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...3-283-000.html

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...4-415-000.html

Matt

SpudRider 07-25-2014 02:10 PM

Thanks for sharing a another great tip. :)

Weldangrind 07-25-2014 02:31 PM

Good job! I like the idea of swapping Honda parts on.

mmprestine 07-25-2014 02:32 PM

Thanks. Inspiring to see what the Zong lives through and if the TMEC does 50% of that I will be plenty happy. In the 80s I had a Honda 185s and the TMEC is very similar but actually better although I did pound the crap out of that thing. During my dirt bike days and when I would use it around town always thought I was on the dirt bike.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 169929)
Thanks for sharing a another great tip. :)

culcune 07-25-2014 11:43 PM

I haven't been able to get on since my computer took a dump, but am borrowing my son's. I like what you have done to the TMEC! I have kept my TMEC relatively stock, including the EPA equipment. It does get hot, however--much more than my '09 bike which did not have the smog stuff. I have been riding in the 105 to 108 F range home from work (16+ miles), but this week has been even hotter at 114 F to 118 F. The bike does not skip a beat, fortunately, since I would hate to be sitting on the side of the road with turkey vultures waiting for me to cook to the proper temperature! I have a little over 1500 miles indicated by converting the odometer KMs reading on my bike since I started riding the new one in May.

I am glad to see you confirmed the KLR pegs, since someone mentioned this mod about 7 years ago when all the GY200's were about the same no matter who made them. Even though the TMECs are slightly different from other manufacturers it is nice to know that at least the foot peg mod is the same! There you go, Footer, since I believe you were wondering about pegs.

SpudRider 07-26-2014 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 169945)
...I have been riding in the 105 to 108 F range home from work (16+ miles), but this week has been even hotter at 114 F to 118 F. The bike does not skip a beat, fortunately, since I would hate to be sitting on the side of the road with turkey vultures waiting for me to cook to the proper temperature!...

:lmao:

I'm glad to hear your TMEC200 is performing well in the excessive heat. :tup:

mmprestine 07-26-2014 10:31 AM

TMEC-200 Mod 12

3 Attachment(s)
Well I got a bug up my arse about fixing the side stand before I went riding today. I emulated the Japanese method. It seems odd to me that TMEC wouldnt just do it the correct way to start with. I took the cut off wheel and clipped the welds then pulled the upper pin out of the hole. I used a bolt that came from the crate packing and put it in the back side of the hole and welded it from the front and back. I then removed the lower pin off the front and put it in the same location but on the back of the side stand. After the modification I only needed the single larger spring. There will be a couple posts to show the before and after.

Here it is.

mmprestine 07-26-2014 10:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Moar!

mmprestine 07-26-2014 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the KLR650 foot pegs I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110924667768...84.m1439.l2649

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 169843)

mmprestine 07-26-2014 11:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is how to modify the turn beeper.

Behind the front headlight fairing there will be a small plastic box. Inside is just a simple RC (resistor/capacitor) circuit to generate the flasher interval. To be able to get in there you have to remove the two 10mm bolts on the sides of the fairing and tilt it back. Some times pictures are worth a thousand words so take a look. Remember I have completely removed my piezo so it is not there. You can do the same or just put some scotch tape over the small hole in it to quiet it down if you choose to leave it. Also you can see how I black taped the hole to protect the circuit from moisture. Again multiple posts to show the pictures.
Matt

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 169841)
The irritating turn signal buzzer lasted about ONE turn. Ha Ha I made a funny! Only picture I have but it was very simple. Take the black box apart and clip the small black piezo speaker wires to remove it. Also taped the hole as water would just fill up the plastic box.

mmprestine 07-26-2014 11:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Continued.

Weldangrind 07-26-2014 12:51 PM

Excellent! I'm going to try that today.

While I'm playing with the flasher, I'm going to see if I can convert to a regular flasher. If I can, I'll be able to use an LED flasher instead.

footer 07-26-2014 03:49 PM

sweet!! i just put tape over my beeper and its much quieter! at least until i get used to turning it off. about to go look at my chain roller, ill have to order that one from rocky mtn atv. and definitely getting those foot pegs too!!

footer 07-26-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 169837)
Removed all the epa carb crap, built a block off plate and used a vacuum plug on the carb intake. The engine is now about 35% quieter and the odd valve noise is now gone. Engine runs cooler and has more power throughout the rpm range.

going to have questions on this, but first ill ask a friend who is going to help me do it if it makes sense to him…

and i just put tape over the beeper for now, much quieter!! thanks for that tip!! ill be getting those fort pegs too, and should go look at my chain roller now while I'm thinking about it. this site is the best!!

culcune 07-26-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 169949)
:lmao:

I'm glad to hear your TMEC200 is performing well in the excessive heat. :tup:

Yes, as long as I keep the air flowing, I don't believe the excessive heat affects the bike any more than lower temps. I thought it was when our temps started hitting the 100 F, and I could definitely feel more heat on my thighs, but then realized the engine felt hotter (because it is running hotter) due to the EPA equipment that I did not have on the '09