ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk skid plate/center stand (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20131)

JerryHawk250 10-21-2017 05:02 PM

Hawk skid plate/center stand

5 Attachment(s)
I always wanted to fabricate a center stand since I got my Hawk but could never really figure out how I would attach it so just put it on the back burner until today. I was check the bike over today and was planning to take a ride, then it hit me. :doh: Why not attach it to the skid plate. I had enough tubing and angle laying around so I got busy and this is what I came up with. I even managed to get a 30 mile ride in before the rain started

pete 10-21-2017 05:38 PM

Well done.... pretty dam kool..

JerryHawk250 10-21-2017 05:46 PM

Thanks Pete. Maybe I should fabricate a few and sell. You get a skid plate and center stand all in one.

BlackBike 10-21-2017 07:09 PM

Looks plenty beefy but not out of proportion

http://tappetyclick.com/sites/defaul...ved-design.jpg

Forward to production Bureau

fishman10 10-21-2017 09:59 PM

Skid plate

I can't see. Your downtube to see if it s the same as my bashan storm. But if they are I would be interested in a skid plate!!

Musictrek 10-22-2017 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 267416)
I always wanted to fabricate a center stand since I got my Hawk but could never really figure out how I would attach it so just put it on the back burner until today. I was check the bike over today and was planning to take a ride, then it hit me. :doh: Why not attach it to the skid plate. I had enough tubing and angle laying around so I got busy and this is what I came up with. I even managed to get a 30 mile ride in before the rain started

That would be good for changing a flat!

JerryHawk250 10-22-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musictrek (Post 267447)
That would be good for changing a flat!

that's the main reason I wanted it for and for lubing the chain.

Kdburtch 10-22-2017 08:09 AM

Great work, I would love one of these. My FZ6 had a centerstand and it was very useful.

JerryHawk250 10-23-2017 08:55 AM

If I do decide to build a few of these to sell there will be some changes. I'll make the bottom portion of the skid plate about 3" longer to except the brackets for the center stand. You will noticed I had to re-drill the holes about 1 1/2" further to the rear to put more weight towards the front. I'll need to shorten the legs about an inch. I have about 4" of clearance under the rear tire. To really determine if I make them is what would you be willing to pay for one? The Skid plate is quick and easy. The center stand has some time involved. 2nd one should go quicker. I haven't found anything out there that will just bolt on as far as center stands go.

wamey 10-23-2017 09:05 AM

If you do build some more I'll buy one! Looks awesome!

wchill-hawkrider 10-23-2017 01:07 PM

centerstand

Nice work! Great improvement to the bike....

JerryHawk250 10-23-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wchill-hawkrider (Post 267548)
Nice work! Great improvement to the bike....

Thanks.

Megadan 10-23-2017 02:36 PM

Add me to the list of "yes, please" if you decide to build a few. I would be more than happy to prepay to cover the costs of materials and what-not.

JerryHawk250 10-23-2017 02:49 PM

Well it looks like I need to get busy. I'll start working on a revised set up. Make a few changes in the way I attach the skid plate to the bike. The original skid plate was built without any intentions of mounting the center stand. But now that I know it will work I can work on a final design that is well thought out for easy install. But my question is how much would you be willing to pay for it considering the cost of a skid plate and the cost of a center stand? I would really like to start off with a aluminum skid plate to get the weight down. But surprisingly the steel plate and stand doesn't have a lot of weigh to it. Legs are made out of 3/4" rigid conduit. Skid plate is 1/8" steel.

Megadan 10-23-2017 03:57 PM

Asking me the price, and my first thought is 10 bucks... but I think that of everything lol. Realistically, I would say at least 100 bucks, and even that is likely short changing you. I know the amount of time that goes into making these kinds of things. I would say figure out your material cost and if you have a rough idea of how long they would take to make, figure out some sort of labor price.

Me, personally, I am fine with steel. The aluminum would be expensive, and a couple pounds of extra weight wont make much of a difference. Plus the steel will take and deflect a hit better, with less damage.

The only design change I would make would be a pair of rods with locking pins so the stand can be easily removed or installed for servicing needs. But, I could make that myself cheaply and easily, so I wouldn't even worry about it.

JerryHawk250 10-23-2017 04:20 PM

Right now I have a single 5/8" bolt with a double nut on the end holding the stand on. I was planning on using 5/8" smooth bar with either a washer and cotter pins on each end or like you suggested some kind of locking pin.

I have an older brother that was a welder for over 40 years and took a forced early retirement due to some disabilities and that this would be a perfect little project for him to keep him busy. Believe me his welding skills are far better than mine. I'm going to get with him after I redesign it and see if he would be interested in building some. I put a 50+ hours in a 5 day work week and like my me time on weekends. I would rather him do it and make the money to help him out.

JeremyC 10-23-2017 05:29 PM

I'm on the fence on the center stand, but I sure would like to have a skid plate.

silva 10-23-2017 07:14 PM

I would buy one

Megadan 10-23-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 267568)
Right now I have a single 5/8" bolt with a double nut on the end holding the stand on. I was planning on using 5/8" smooth bar with either a washer and cotter pins on each end or like you suggested some kind of locking pin.

I have an older brother that was a welder for over 40 years and took a forced early retirement due to some disabilities and that this would be a perfect little project for him to keep him busy. Believe me his welding skills are far better than mine. I'm going to get with him after I redesign it and see if he would be interested in building some. I put a 50+ hours in a 5 day work week and like my me time on weekends. I would rather him do it and make the money to help him out.

Well i say talk to him after you work out the design and he might be able to help figure out pricing. Once the design is hammered out it wouldnt be hard to make patterns and simple jig to help save time putting them together, and that would definitely help keep the labor down, especially if they are made in a batch. I would be happy with a bare steel finished product. That would also keep time down. I can do cleanup, prep, and coating on my own.

elevatorman 10-23-2017 11:57 PM

i want to buy one if you move ahead

JerryHawk250 10-24-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman10 (Post 267433)
I can't see. Your downtube to see if it s the same as my bashan storm. But if they are I would be interested in a skid plate!!

The storm has the counterbalance engine so the downtube will be more vertical. The skid plate for the TT250 may fit the storm. You have to verify the dimension with someone with TT250.
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/TT250-...p/csc-1109.htm

Ichrisbot 10-24-2017 02:25 PM

Great idea.

My hawk was too low for the harbor freight motorcycle stand (the kind that you raise up with a pedal), and too low and heavy to get up onto a dirt bike stand easily, especially since the rear brake sticks out the bottom of the bike. This would have made changing the rear wheel and swingarm stuff a piece of cake.

Ichrisbot 10-24-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 267613)
The storm has the counterbalance engine so the downtube will be more vertical. The skid plate for the TT250 may fit the storm. You have to verify the dimension with someone with TT250.
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/TT250-...p/csc-1109.htm

I can confirm the skid plate from CSC fits the hawk, no modifications necessary I just powder coated mine:
https://i.imgur.com/jeFyadml.jpg

dh 10-24-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichrisbot (Post 267644)
Great idea.

My hawk was too low for the harbor freight motorcycle stand (the kind that you raise up with a pedal), and too low and heavy to get up onto a dirt bike stand easily, especially since the rear brake sticks out the bottom of the bike. This would have made changing the rear wheel and swingarm stuff a piece of cake.

Qlink/SSR XF bikes are also to low for the HF dirtbike lift to slide underneath. If I lean it onto the kick stand and get one tire off the ground I slide it underneath, but then what's the point if I have to do that? I returned mine since it just couldn't lift the bike.

JerryHawk250 11-07-2017 05:33 PM

Update

Just an update. Working for a large construction company has its benefits. One of the steel fabricator contractors is working up a price on the skid plates. He has a computerized water jet cutter. Basically all I need to do is provide him with the CAD drawing and it can cut it out from there. It will also not be so plain Jane as it will have a few holes and slots in it just to help with ventilation and weight reduction. He can make all the cuts and make the bends for me then all I will need to fabricate is the center stand.(He's working on a price for that too but that will probably drive the cost up because its time consuming ) What I will probably do is have the center stand as a bolt on option to the skid plate. depending on the cost I will probably start with 20 and see how they sell.

JerryHawk250 11-08-2017 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still waiting on quote, but to give you an idea of what the skid plate will look like.
Attachment 11162

pete 11-08-2017 03:28 PM

Looks good....
If you bolt the centre stand to the plate then you
could make the plate in alloy..

JerryHawk250 11-08-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 268694)
Looks good....
If you bolt the centre stand to the plate then you
could make the plate in alloy..

I'm getting it price steel and aluminum. My plans is to do a bolt-on center stand with mounting holes and have it were it can be adjusted forward or backwards to balance the center load due to not every bike will have the same weight front and rear because of add-on like paniers.

pete 11-08-2017 05:25 PM

if you bought a cheap chinese plasma cutter you couls make a under size cutting
patten.. clamp it to the alloy or steel run the plasma around it....
could cut the holes / slots ..

JerryHawk250 11-08-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 268718)
if you bought a cheap chinese plasma cutter you couls make a under size cutting
patten.. clamp it to the alloy or steel run the plasma around it....
could cut the holes / slots ..

The water jet cutter is automated and will make a super clean cut. It will cut exactly what I have drawn including all the mounting holes once I do a mock up to get the exact locations. Once I have a completed set of plans it will be a matter of how many and what material at the push of a button.

Megadan 11-08-2017 07:07 PM

I await with baited breath. If you want a prepayment to cover any costs of getting them done just let me know. I have 100 set aside at the moment.

JerryHawk250 11-08-2017 07:45 PM

I'll keep you updated. What cool about the water jet cutting I can do custom designed cut outs. Like an actual Hawk or the words HAWK 250. Pretty much anything I can draw up on Autocad.

goat67 11-09-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 268726)
I'll keep you updated. What cool about the water jet cutting I can do custom designed cut outs. Like an actual Hawk or the words HAWK 250. Pretty much anything I can draw up on Autocad.

I would prefer one without the Hawk branding

JerryHawk250 11-09-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat67 (Post 268761)
I would prefer one without the Hawk branding

How about GOAT? lol

goat67 11-10-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 268763)
How about GOAT? lol

Yea or better yet GTO but that is another conversation.
Maye CB 250 for China Bike :lmao:

JerryHawk250 11-10-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat67 (Post 268904)
Yea or better yet GTO but that is another conversation.
Maye CB 250 for China Bike :lmao:

That can be done. :tup:I've been playing phone tag with this guy for days. If I don't get anything back from him today I have another guy that can do it.

kirbo7106 11-10-2017 10:47 AM

Skid Plate

Hey JerryHawk250!

I was originally planning on buying an aluminum skid plate from CSC. Their skid plate, no center stand, goes for $130 plus shipping. I would rather buy it from you. I want one made out of aluminum without a center stand. Like MegaDan said, I don’t need a finish coat. Now, if you want to stamp “ Made in the USA” that would be cool!:tup:

Have a great weekend!

JerryHawk250 11-10-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbo7106 (Post 268921)
Hey JerryHawk250!

I was originally planning on buying an aluminum skid plate from CSC. Their skid plate, no center stand, goes for $130 plus shipping. I would rather buy it from you. I want one made out of aluminum without a center stand. Like MegaDan said, I don’t need a finish coat. Now, if you want to stamp “ Made in the USA” that would be cool!:tup:

Have a great weekend!

I would think that just the skid plate should be under $100. Now only if I can get an answer on cost. :ohno:

Musictrek 11-10-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 268922)
I would think that just the skid plate should be under $100. Now only if I can get an answer on cost. :ohno:

I'm gonna ask Santa Clause for one this Christmas!

JerryHawk250 11-10-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musictrek (Post 268937)
I'm gonna ask Santa Clause for one this Christmas!

Hopefully I can at least get the skid plates done before then. I just put in a call to somebody else to see what he can cut them out for. If I had the equipment I would do it myself. I want to put out a quality product and keep down the cost as much as possible. The center stand is not a problem for me to do.