ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   False neutral between 5-6th gear. (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16806)

Lee R 06-07-2016 03:03 PM

False neutral between 5-6th gear.

Anyone experienced these. Happens on a gentle upshift, bike surges to redline than clunks hard into 5th.

Mines got 3000 miles on it. Feels like either neutral of slipping clutch but this is riding along at a sedate pace.

Lee

rjmorel 06-07-2016 03:49 PM

I've noticed on mine it made a difference if I was in tennis shoes or my riding boots. Seems like different shoes would shift a little different cause of "feel" and toe thickness ?????????????? I have also downshifted when I should be upshifting cause of distraction. But for the most part , gearbox does what it is suppose to if I do. I think firmness in shifting is what this gearbox needs . rj

Lee R 06-07-2016 05:23 PM

Yeah this has only happened with really lazy gentle shifts usually going at a sedate pace.

Not to worried unless it starts happening a bunch.

My left mirror did fall off today in traffic, hopefully a new one arrives before I leave for the long road trip or I'll have to stick one of those round ones for car mirrors on there.

Jayman77 06-07-2016 05:48 PM

This happen to me on my vt600c and about every other bike in my stable and in my history
it is just a lazy shift be carfull and pop that shifter with a swift firm pull

rickosuave1987 06-07-2016 06:05 PM

I experienced this the other day on the freeway. I was under pretty heavy acceleration... I do think that I was trying to switch lanes and shift at the same time and may have just not *clicked* all the way into 6th...

I've got about 3000 miles on my roxie too. (10W-40 Synthetic, if it matters)

Rodtheviking 06-07-2016 07:29 PM

I had this happen too, went into 6th stayed for a second then dropped back to 5th. Thankfully I wasn't accelerating all that hard, just cruising but it did make my bike lurch pretty good. Hasn't done it since my oil change though..

CSaddict 06-07-2016 08:55 PM

This is exactly why I had to replace my entire engine at 200 miles.

CSaddict 06-07-2016 08:57 PM

My new engine shifts like a bag of shit and I no longer want the bike.

Aleong1967 06-07-2016 11:11 PM

Sorry to hear you are having all these issues
Looks like you may have unfortunately got a lemon of the bunch
Hopefully CSC would be willing to exchange bike for a replacement one and send your bike back to Zongshen for dissection

CSaddict 06-08-2016 08:22 AM

I'm keeping the bike. I will not replace the next engine. A ship can do it. I'm not spending any more of my time on this bike.

Rodtheviking 06-11-2016 09:24 PM

Did it again today, this time was a little scary. On I-5 in heavy traffic on a bridge no less, dropped right out of 6th after an up shift under hard acceleration. Not happy about this transmission so far but I will give it some time for the break-in.

dpl096 06-11-2016 09:56 PM

What does CSC believe it might be?

pete 06-11-2016 11:29 PM

i have had fulse neutrals on a few bikes over the years..
every time it has been me just lazy shifting...
rider issue no the motor...

RedHawk47 06-11-2016 11:45 PM

Is your shift lever tight on the shaft? While changing my oil yesterday I noticed that mine was loose.

detours 06-12-2016 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHawk47 (Post 220743)
Is your shift lever tight on the shaft? While changing my oil yesterday I noticed that mine was loose.

Good call on the shift lever. I found mine loose last year and it was causing some sloppy shifts. Also, occasionally if I get distracted by something, I don't shift as firmly and sometimes get a false neutral. This has happened on each of my bikes, so definitely my issue in this case and not the RX3's.

Inroads 06-12-2016 12:13 PM

What are the odds of getting two bad shifting bikes...back to back ?
Astronomical.

As RedHawks noted I had found my shifter bolt tight but it still was sloppy.
I had to tighten to extremes to take the slop out.

If you find the gap all closed up when tightening you can take a hacksaw blade
And cut a sliver out so that there is still a gap after tightening

BTW,my bike shifts as beautifully as my Vstrom which is sweet.

dpl096 06-12-2016 12:32 PM

Ditto on Detours post ... my few incidents have been the result of sloppy rider habits - not the quality of the bike or its' tranny.

2LZ 06-13-2016 10:36 AM

My shifter was wobbly also. The bolt was basically tight but it wasn't pinched on the shaft.
I've had no shifting issues though, even before I tightened it. Shifts fine. Just like my other bikes.

SpudRider 06-27-2016 02:34 AM

I'm not discounting anyone's problems, but I haven't had any shifting problems whatsoever with my RX3. :shrug:

CSaddict 06-27-2016 07:26 AM

My shifter is tight. There is definitely an issue in my new engine as 5-6th shifting is still odd. With that said it has not fallen out of gear yet. Gerry hasn't taken my defect engine apart yet but said he will email be when he does. He also said no one has called about the shifting issue or falling out of gear. You should call if you are so he is aware of it.

fjmartin 05-19-2017 02:33 PM

I know this is an old thread but this video from MC Garage just got posted which speaks about it. I've had this occur on mine maybe 5 times since I've owned it. Didn't panic and just downshifted and then upshifted.

https://youtu.be/sAsWiiHjLsg

CSaddict 05-19-2017 10:04 PM

There are a few bikes besides mine that have the same 5-6 issue. It has nothing to do with lazy shifting. I own 5 bikes. The others shift just fine. I still have and ride the RX3, 5th to 6th is still wonky. It has not fallen out of gear yet since the engine change.

Dualsport Chic 07-09-2017 04:55 PM

This issue seems to be isolated to the first back of 2016 RX3s that shipped into CSC. My bike has the exact same issue - I'm quite sure it is a manufacturing defect. If you are not determined to get two clicks and a forceful up-shift from 5-6 you will find that false neutral and it may shock you when going around a corner at speed. Trust me this is not pilot error as it's happened several times to me and I own several bikes and have been riding for 40+ years.