ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   hawk update (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33195)

Megadan 05-01-2024 10:31 PM

There are also "gaiters" for USD forks - Seal Savers. Even with proectors USD fork seals will still get damaged from grime and grit that collects on the lower as you ride. A fork seal cleaning tool (bought or home made) is also a good tool to have to help protect/extend seal life on either style of fork, with or without guards or gaiters.

Megadan 05-01-2024 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapkin (Post 407774)
One down, one to go. Son-in-law's neighbor did it for 10 freakin bucks. gonna do the rear too when it comes. that my friends is a deal, he also showed me what he was doing step by step.

It's a good skill to practice. The front wheels are definitely a little harder than the rear because of how narrow they are.

Zapkin 05-02-2024 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Hilly (Post 407776)
Do you got your new 2 year inspection sticker?
I got the 2 year one on my Hawk, but my KPX still has the 1 year sticker till the next time it's due, which is in the Fall

Im not even sure, will have to look at it. will let you know.

Zapkin 05-02-2024 01:25 AM

I am confused. Amazon said they couldn't guarantee the order cancellation because it was about to ship. Now the item is no longer in the order, in fact it is not even in my cancelled orders, and I never received an email about it one way or another. They still have my 26 bucks though. I have a feeling these things are going to be showing up tomorrow with the rest of that order. Normally I have 100% satisfaction with Amazon, but this time seems a bit sketchy.

Megadan 05-02-2024 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapkin (Post 407799)
I am confused. Amazon said they couldn't guarantee the order cancellation because it was about to ship. Now the item is no longer in the order, in fact it is not even in my cancelled orders, and I never received an email about it one way or another. They still have my 26 bucks though. I have a feeling these things are going to be showing up tomorrow with the rest of that order. Normally I have 100% satisfaction with Amazon, but this time seems a bit sketchy.

Give it a minute to update. They probably got the order cancelled. The last time I cancelled it acted the same, and then it updated in the morning and showed cancelled.

Zapkin 05-02-2024 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLsior (Post 407769)
The best modification you can do to your bike right now is a full tank of gas.

Yeah that 26 bucks could fill my tank and I'd still have enough money for a cheeseburger.

Zapkin 05-02-2024 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 407800)
Give it a minute to update. They probably got the order cancelled. The last time I cancelled it acted the same, and then it updated in the morning and showed cancelled.

you were correct. they were just slow about updating the system. already got my refund too.

Zapkin 05-02-2024 05:39 PM

4.10 x 18 Kenda is noticeably narrower than what I took off. Used a circlip thingy I got for the TT250...seems higher quality and was a B to put on!!! But my friend greased the heck out of everything, went over the whole bike. Rear brakes are much better now, don't lock up so quickly (I must have done something wrong when I did the sprocket). He even jammed a crap ton of the red grease way up in the swing arms...claims it was a good idea. Bike is greased up now BIG TIME. Feels so much better on the highway. Rear is true, but the front is a teenie bit off. Gonna take care of that when I can. Happy at the moment. Feels so much better. New brake switch for the rear will be here tomorrow. Sweated my butt off today and got dirty, but it felt good and I feel like he taught me something. Dude has a badazz KTM!! 300cc beast...he says he loves working on them and was actually impressed with the hawk for what it is. Said anytime I need help hit him up, he is a disabled vet from two wars. I offered him more money, he wouldn't take it, said he loves wrenching. I still can't get over having two tires mounted for 20 bucks...anyway. Had to share, pretty excited to have things a little better. Now must shower and drink a beer. Have a good one, guys.

Megadan 05-02-2024 09:52 PM

The stock tire width is technically 4.33 inches wide, but the knobs on the tire make them physically wider. So you can use a 4.10 or a 4.60 width without issue and they are both functional. My Shinko 700 rear is a 4.6 x 18 and works perfectly, but looks narrower than the stock knobby tire too.

Zapkin 05-03-2024 05:41 PM

rear brake switch installed. very easy to do. package came with two, one of which plugged right in and worked perfectly. also added the heavy duty mirrors..what an improvement!!! its coming together for this summer adventures.

Richie311 05-04-2024 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 407871)
The stock tire width is technically 4.33 inches wide, but the knobs on the tire make them physically wider. So you can use a 4.10 or a 4.60 width without issue and they are both functional. My Shinko 700 rear is a 4.6 x 18 and works perfectly, but looks narrower than the stock knobby tire too.

I just put some Shinko 244s on mine and did 4.6x18 in the rear and noticed them same thing. Over all it's narrower and shorter but I also put a 42t rear sprocket on so it worked out in the end.

Megadan 05-04-2024 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie311 (Post 407921)
I just put some Shinko 244s on mine and did 4.6x18 in the rear and noticed them same thing. Over all it's narrower and shorter but I also put a 42t rear sprocket on so it worked out in the end.

Same with my 700 4.6x18. I am running a 33t rear instead of a 35 to compensate or the smaller diameter. My effective gearing is now the same as the stock tire with a 35. I run a 520 chain setup, if you are curious. 13f and 35r is equivalent to a 17f and 45r with the 428 chain.

Bill Hilly 05-04-2024 11:23 AM

When I put the 4.60x18" Dunlop D605 on my Hawk, it geared me down just a hair. I had recently went from a 16 to a 17 tooth front sprocket, and the difference in the tire is noticable, but I can easily live with it.

Megadan 05-04-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Hilly (Post 407929)
When I put the 4.60x18" Dunlop D605 on my Hawk, it geared me down just a hair. I had recently went from a 16 to a 17 tooth front sprocket, and the difference in the tire is noticable, but I can easily live with it.

It gears you down about 2 teeth out back.

Zapkin 05-07-2024 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
inexpensive mirrors and so much better than stock that its not even in the same ballpark. With these I can actually see behind me and didn't even put em on backwards! they hold their position too..far better than the ones I had which required constant adjustment.

buzz 05-07-2024 10:30 PM

ya it help tp put them on the right way,smoke a another one he he.

Zapkin 05-14-2024 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the exact rear tire I bought and I am pretty sure it changed my gear ratio.

edit: according to microsoft copilot this changes my drive ratio by 5.4% which is comforting because I thought perhaps I'd lost my mind.

Zapkin 06-23-2024 12:04 PM

Just took the bike off-road for the first time since getting new tires. Not impressed with them; it's squirrely as hell on grass and useless in mud (which I understand). Also, I was not impressed with it on dirt. I have the same Kenda 270 tires front and back. I thought they were 50/50, but for me, it feels more like 20% dirt and 70% street. Maybe if I were more experienced and the bike were lighter, it would be different, but the stock knobbies were way better than these. I know that's to be expected. Anyway, just wanted to update. Beware if you are considering the Kendas.

Bill Hilly 06-23-2024 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapkin (Post 409825)
Just took the bike off-road for the first time since getting new tires. Not impressed with them; it's squirrely as hell on grass and useless in mud (which I understand). Also, I was not impressed with it on dirt. I have the same Kenda 270 tires front and back. I thought they were 50/50, but for me, it feels more like 20% dirt and 70% street. Maybe if I were more experienced and the bike were lighter, it would be different, but the stock knobbies were way better than these. I know that's to be expected. Anyway, just wanted to update. Beware if you are considering the Kendas.

I always thought the K270 tires looked like they would be a pretty good, and versatile tire, and were probably pretty aggressive for a 50/50 tire.
I bought a set of a pretty new , to the market tire, called the Tusk Waypoint. They are one of the cheapest DOT, 50/50 tires. They referred to them as 70dirt/30 pavement, but they remind me a lot of the Dunlop D605, especially the rear. The front is just a hair more aggressive looking the a D605 front, and is directional, the rear is not directional. I had bought them for my KPX, because it wore the front tire plumb out, while the rear was still probably around 3/4 tread. I could not bring myself to trash the rear yet, so, I ended up buying as cheap , and similar to stock front to run for now, and I am saving the Waypoints, but I have a feeling the Waypoints are going to catch on. I will probably put the knobbies off my parts bike on my registered Hawk, next time it needs tires.

Do©Hawk 06-24-2024 12:35 PM

Good to know about the Dunlops. My Trakmasters are all I know. As they wear down, I've been strongly considering a more street friendly tire. That is until last week when I finally got out on a trail. The Trackmasters gave me confidence off-road that I had no business having and I liked it. Even if I only ride offroad 5% of the time, I appreciate that traction. I have a hard time believing the Hawk will blow my mind in the same way with street friendly tires.

Bill Hilly 06-24-2024 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Do©Hawk (Post 409855)
Good to know about the Dunlops. My Trakmasters are all I know. As they wear down, I've been strongly considering a more street friendly tire. That is until last week when I finally got out on a trail. The Trackmasters gave me confidence off-road that I had no business having and I liked it. Even if I only ride offroad 5% of the time, I appreciate that traction. I have a hard time believing the Hawk will blow my mind in the same way with street friendly tires.

I actually think the Waypoints may be the better deal. The D605 price has went up, and the front tire seems to come with pretty shallow tread. Here are a couple of pictures of the Waypoint, and 605 side by side. Keep in mind the D605 have had a good bit of miles ran in them.http://https://i.ibb.co/xjPVFfc/ASTRO-55-R-06072024-120831.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/rt8G9dD/ASTRO-55-R-06072024-120803.jpg
Here's a shot video of me showing the D605 tires not long after putting them on my Hawk.https://youtu.be/EFDo1z-x458?si=v8rfx3QwmnAFif0T