ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk 250 Nuetral & Transmission Problem (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20032)

JerryHawk250 10-11-2017 11:02 AM

After re-reading this thread from the beginning a lot of this is starting to make since. This is how I see it. You bought this use. Hopefully you got it cheap. The original owner had transmission problem so he pulled the cover off and pulled a few parts off trying to fix it without success. He then reassembles and just puts up for sale. This would explain how the stopper arm may have ended up behind the stopper plate. Did the original owner tell you there was a problem with it? I would be pissed if he didn't. That's why I hate buying used unless it was from someone I knew. Hope for the best and it works when up put the parts back on.

Andizzle 10-11-2017 07:28 PM

All he told me was someone had laid the bike over but it started and ran fine. I bought it for cheap anyways. And yes I had someone spin the wheel for me. When you spin the wheel though it will stop once the bike goes into 1st or 2nd.

Ariel Red Hunter 10-11-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andizzle (Post 266888)
All he told me was someone had laid the bike over but it started and ran fine. I bought it for cheap anyways. And yes I had someone spin the wheel for me. When you spin the wheel though it will stop once the bike goes into 1st or 2nd.

Of course it will. What I'm concerned about is it isn't going into 3rd, 4th, or 5th. If you can't get it into the top three gears, mucho problemo. Problem is with the shifting forks for the upper gears, in the transmission. ...ARH

JerryHawk250 10-11-2017 09:23 PM

You will need to have the clutch pulled while shifting and rotating the tire. Try it again to see if it will go through the rest of the gears.

Andizzle 10-12-2017 03:31 AM

Okay so once I put it back together and then have the clutch on it then see if it will shift into the upper gears?

JerryHawk250 10-12-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andizzle (Post 266904)
Okay so once I put it back together and then have the clutch on it then see if it will shift into the upper gears?

That is correct. Hopefully it works and you ended up with one hell of a deal. At the same time you're learning how to work on your bike. Feel free to contact me anytime you have any questions.

Andizzle 10-13-2017 12:23 PM

Thanks for the help again. When I get a chance to work on it this weekend I’ll post a new thread since this ones getting long and I’ll link to the new thread when I make it.

JerryHawk250 10-13-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andizzle (Post 266983)
Thanks for the help again. When I get a chance to work on it this weekend I’ll post a new thread since this ones getting long and I’ll link to the new thread when I make it.

Keep it all in this thread. Makes it easy for everyone to follow from beginning to end. This could help someone else.

JerryHawk250 11-14-2017 08:30 AM

Any updates?

LiveLife 09-11-2018 01:04 AM

Hawk 250 gear shift problem

I also had problems with mine not going into higher gears. I stalled out on accident one time and then as I tried turned the bike back on and it wouldn’t go into neutral!! It only let me shift into 1. I thought the battery died or something but it didn’t. Horn and lights worked! I played with the key and the kill switch. Still didn’t come on. After 10 mins I was going to get the bike towed, somehow it finally went into neutral and was able to cut on!! Mind you I’ve only rode on streets and also have less than 100 miles on the bike. Everything is still facory!

timcosby 09-11-2018 01:57 AM

my hawk starts in any gear with the clutch pulled in

ChrisWNY 09-11-2018 08:54 AM

The Hawk will definitely start with the clutch lever pulled in all the way, shouldn't be an issue. You do not have to be in neutral to start the engine.

When the Hawk is new (under 200-300 miles), Neutral will be harder to find because the transmission is still "breaking in" and parts are still in the mating process. Using a standard motor oil (instead of a wet clutch compliant motorcycle oil) will also cause shifting difficulties and clutch slippage. From my own experience, when my Hawk had under 100 miles, it would not go into neutral after running the engine for awhile. I'd usually find it shifting halfway down from 2nd gear. Going into neutral from 1st was a shot in the dark. Beyond 100 miles however and after an oil change, no problems getting into neutral at all. Shifting definitely smooths out during engine break-in.

Quinn 12-24-2020 07:17 AM

I recently bought a cy200. I was convinced the transmission was broken because I only had first gear and neutral. It would not shift up into 2nd or any other gear. It turns out, it was a neutral at the top, five all the way down.. Downshift rather than upshift. I even pulled the clutch cover off and took out the parts and put them back in, everything was fine. It was only after that I realized, 5 down. Such a rarity. And the guy that owned the Bike before me had the exact same problem. He had no idea it was five down.

China Rider 27 12-24-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn (Post 351061)
I recently bought a cy200. I was convinced the transmission was broken because I only had first gear and neutral. It would not shift up into 2nd or any other gear. It turns out, it was a neutral at the top, five all the way down.. Downshift rather than upshift. I even pulled the clutch cover off and took out the parts and put them back in, everything was fine. It was only after that I realized, 5 down. Such a rarity. And the guy that owned the Bike before me had the exact same problem. He had no idea it was five down.

That was one happy day!