ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   New Zongshen RX3 (ZS250GY-3) Dual Sport (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13440)

FTEY 02-22-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSCDude (Post 180044)
Our experience on the three US test bikes has been that they break in quickly. They feel new (obviously) on the first couple of rides, but they like to rev and they are very smooth. Our blue bike now has about 1200 miles on it and the yellow one has about half that, and they both feel great. My bike returned 71.43 mpg on the ride through Joshua Tree National Park a couple of weeks ago.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/...SC0040-650.jpg

The Hanjin Germany has left Korea and is currently en route to Long Beach, California. The dockworkers are back at work. Things are looking good. As we learn more, we'll post it on the CSC blog.

Hi Joe. When my bike blinked that its short on gas, I can only put in about 2.1gal of gas when the spec says it can hold abt 4.2gal (16l). Does your test bikes having the same experience.
thillskier says its made this way to protect the efi system. Did Your 71mpg record uses all the gas from the tank?

FTEY 02-22-2015 10:45 AM

Then again i hink i need to let he bike run for another few hundred km before i can really see mpg improving.

thillskier 02-22-2015 12:13 PM

You got it FTEY

Ride that thing! Thats the best you can do for it, and as you already noticed, its getting better, and I suspect rather quickly. MPG will go up as well, also rather quickly, I suspect.

thillskier 02-22-2015 12:14 PM

Great News, Joe!

Thanks for the update!

CSCDude 02-22-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 180045)
Hi Joe. When my bike blinked that its short on gas, I can only put in about 2.1gal of gas when the spec says it can hold abt 4.2gal (16l). Does your test bikes having the same experience.
thillskier says its made this way to protect the efi system. Did Your 71mpg record uses all the gas from the tank?

The light starts blinking around 160-170 miles or so, and we usually put in something around 2 or 2.3 gallons when it was blinking (in other words, your bike is behaving like ours). I've had other injected bikes that behave the same way; the warning light comes on while there is still plenty of fuel in the tank.

On the RX3, the top fuel bar on the left side of the instrument cluster is twice as tall as the bars below it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...1aff7d93fa9e07

My experience is you can go close to 100 miles before that first bar goes out. The second bar (about in the middle of the gage) goes by pretty quickly, then it takes longer for the remaining bars to extinguish. When it gets to the last bar and then it goes out, you can go another 10 miles maybe before the orange fuel indicator starts flashing. We stopped for fuel when that happened on the Joshua Tree trip, because we knew there would be no stations for awhile and I didn't want to take a chance on running out of fuel. A big chunk of that ride was at freeway speed; I believe if we took it slower without a lot of stop and go traffic, the bike would do even better than the 71.43 mpg we recorded.

I haven't attempted to run the tank dry, nor do I think this is a good idea based on the fact that the fuel pump needs fuel in the tank to stay cool.

katflap 02-22-2015 02:53 PM

Fuel consumption

(RX3 UK version with EFI)

On a rough calculation I'm getting about 65 MPG (imperial)
using super unleaded (97 RON )

which I think is about 78 miles per US gallon.

This is from a daily 20 mile commute consisting of equal amounts of 30, 40 & 60 MPH roads. Nice ride to work :tup:

I don't think the bike would be good for a lot of below 30mph stop start city riding.

I am finding my bike does seem to prefer being warmed up before setting off in the morning ( temperature is about 3 or 4 centigrade ).

:)

Xtyling 02-22-2015 04:56 PM

In preparation to buy my RX3 (Philippine Carbureted Version) I decided to experiment on my current motorcycle - 110cc Semi automatic Kymco Visar. What a PITA. Just to get to the air filter I had to strip remove over 30 screws/bolts and most of the fairings. The screws/bolts were relatively easy but the fairings were all connected in some way that required finesse or possibly break a tab joining the pieces.

This is my first attempt to service my bike myself. I'm not a skilled wrencher so I probably took twice as long as a qualified person.

In short.. I hope that the RX3 is easier to disassemble and work on.

CSCDude 02-22-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtyling (Post 180059)
In preparation to buy my RX3 (Philippine Carbureted Version) I decided to experiment on my current motorcycle - 110cc Semi automatic Kymco Visar. What a PITA. Just to get to the air filter I had to strip remove over 30 screws/bolts and most of the fairings. The screws/bolts were relatively easy but the fairings were all connected in some way that required finesse or possibly break a tab joining the pieces.

This is my first attempt to service my bike myself. I'm not a skilled wrencher so I probably took twice as long as a qualified person.

In short.. I hope that the RX3 is easier to disassemble and work on.

We are finding these bikes are easy to service. We are publishing a series of maintenance tutorials. We've posted two so far (oil changes and adjusting the valves):

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=13911

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=14703

We have several more we will be posting in the next couple of weeks. You might want to keep an eye on the CSC blog as these emerge.

culcune 02-22-2015 06:51 PM

Cannot understand a word this guy is saying, but apparently this is a bike using the RX3's engine from a couple years back. Would be interested to know how the bike holds up overall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9b-ip86yD0#t=438

detours 02-22-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 180033)
Yes, 175 kg (385 lbs) includes the 3 panniers, racks, engine guards, skid plate and windshield. I don't know if it includes fuel, oil and coolant.

Full specs here.

Correction: 175 kg (385 lbs) is the wet weight, including all fluids and fuel, ready to ride. It weighs 359 lbs dry according to this article.

jct842 02-23-2015 12:03 AM

The only specs I don't like is the wheel sizes and low seat. And it doesn't give ground clearance on that sheet either. I am not sure how most bikes get their ground clearance measured either, is it with rider or empty/ John

SpudRider 02-23-2015 02:23 AM

Somebody recently asked to see a photograph which shows the position of the CSC center stand in the retracted position. I spotted this photograph on another forum. ;)

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...6f&oe=55496E6D

FTEY 02-23-2015 06:47 AM

Anyone who had rode the bike before feels that the hot air from the right side of the radiator is blowing rapidly on your right leg. And also does the pillion feel hot on the right leg as well since the muffler is just beside the rear fot rest. Was wearing shorts the other day and i could feel the hot air blowing onto my right leg and its pretty hot.......

jimjr21 02-23-2015 10:26 AM

Regarding container unloading from the ship. It will happen in less than 1 day. The next delay will be getting the container out of the yard and onto a trailer for its trip to CSC.

I would expect 4-7 days from ship berthing to deliver to CSC.

classix_man 02-23-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 179872)
Hi... Im new to this forum and i've just collected my ride (KTN RS3 in Malaysia) 2 days ago and still getting used to it. Any SEA region riders here have changed their top box. I think the stock top box is a lite small...

Hi FTEY!!

You already received your bike? So fast :tup: I am still waiting for my bike. They said the bike should be available after CNY. Where did you buy your bike? How's the overall performance?

jimjr21 02-23-2015 10:53 AM

Google street view has the blue and yellow bikes parked out front.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...81255c!6m1!1e1

Adjuster 02-23-2015 11:49 AM

Whats happening with the back tire/wheel on the blue one? Is that just some sort of optical camera screw up?

/

FTEY 02-23-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classix_man (Post 180123)
Hi FTEY!!

You already received your bike? So fast :tup: I am still waiting for my bike. They said the bike should be available after CNY. Where did you buy your bike? How's the overall performance?

Yup. Got it in time right before cny. Still breaking in. Feels better compared to the first 2 days of riding. Got mine in Penang. 1st RS3 to be registered in Penang. Where ru from classix_man? Lots of help im getting here from the members.....

FTEY 02-23-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adjuster (Post 180125)
Whats happening with the back tire/wheel on the blue one? Is that just some sort of optical camera screw up?

/

Think is the cam. The side box is also a lil crooked...

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 179934)

Welcome! Thanks for the pics of your terrific new bike. :D

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 179936)
This was what I was hoping for. Keeping the original and then build a 21" wheel from another hub. I'm tempted to do it my self but may take you up on your offer to build me one.

If you have the time and no distractions, it can be an interesting experience. Trouble appears when you're trying to lace a used rim to a hub, and you can't work the wobble out. Ask me how I know.

A decent truing stand isn't very costly, and you can even get fancy with a HF dial indicator and magnetic base, although I haven't found that to be necessary.

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 179960)
Please do post more photos. :)

Our bikes are fuel injected, and we haven't received them yet. Therefore, I don't know much about your carburetor. ;) However, I think it's possible the pilot jet of your carburetor is a little too small. You might want to try the next largest size of pilot jet, and see if helps. You might also want to try adjusting the pilot mixture screw on the carburetor.

I agree. If the slow jet is too small, you can have trouble starting a bike, especially if it is cold outside or you're near sea level. Try backing the pilot mixture screw out 1/2 turn, and see if that helps.

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 180000)
The CSC Blog reports our Zongshen RX3 motorcycles are loaded on the Hanjin container vessel Germany, which is currently taking on more cargo in Pusan, South Korea.

Joe reports the vessel is scheduled to "arrive in Long Beach on the 6th of March. Due to the current labor unrest roiling our coast, the berthing date is currently scheduled to be on the 23rd of March."

Ugh, another month. I'm not even able to buy one of these bikes, and I'm getting antsy! :D

Please Lord, allow the ship to travel safely to Long Beach. Amen.

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 180022)
If one sticks with the 18-inch front wheel, the Pirelli MT21 is an excellent choice for a front tire. The MT21 is a perennial favorite with dual sport riders, and the size 110/80-18 tire is a good fit for the RX3 front wheel. :)

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...t-Rallycross?0

Spud, do you have a concern with such an aggressive tread pattern on a front wheel? I don't have such a concern with my TW, but it's also a 5.10.

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTEY (Post 180027)
That would be a great way to understand the bike. But still not able to get the carb diagram. Since its still so new here. I can see and understand before go on to meddle with it. Not the most familiar person with engines yet. But a good place to start. Refuelled yesterday and still getting 8L to full. But consumption is not good at all. I managed only 85km on the he last fill. Could it be because the bike is still new.

You actually pumped 8l into the tank, after riding 85km?

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSCDude (Post 180056)
I haven't attempted to run the tank dry, nor do I think this is a good idea based on the fact that the fuel pump needs fuel in the tank to stay cool.

An excellent point for the FI bikes, but I don't think there will be a pump in FTEY's bike. He could likely run the bike out of fuel without consequence.

SpudRider 02-23-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 180136)
Spud, do you have a concern with such an aggressive tread pattern on a front wheel? I don't have such a concern with my TW, but it's also a 5.10.

I don't have any concerns whatsoever in that regard. The Pirelli, MT21 front tire is a perennial favorite for many dual sport riders. :)

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 01:23 PM

I didn't word my question well. I'm thinking about the installation of an aggressive rear tire on a front rim. It doesn't worry me on my TW because it is massive, but I'm not sure how a rear tire would work in the real world on a front rim.

The front tire tread patterns seem to never be as aggressive as the rear with DS tires.

SpudRider 02-23-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 180141)
...The front tire tread patterns seem to never be as aggressive as the rear with DS tires.

I'm sure that is true for quite a few tires, but that hasn't been my experience for many dirt, and dual sport tires. :shrug: My good friend Andy bought a Yamaha TT-R225 which had Pirelli, MT21 tires mounted on both wheels. The tread for the MT21 is virtually identical for all tire sizes, both front and rear.

Weldangrind 02-23-2015 01:42 PM

That's good to know. It's something that I hadn't considered until we started these discussions.

SpudRider 02-23-2015 01:48 PM

Here is a photograph of MT21 front and rear tires.

http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/dr...ires/TIRES.jpg

For the RX3 I recommended the smallest rear tire, which should have an intermediate width to the two tires in the photograph.

thillskier 02-23-2015 01:53 PM

I'm thinking/hoping the difference is due to design

Re maintainance by owners, Thisbike was intended to be serviced by owners (in USA at least). That will (as long as this was addressed in designing and engineering the bikes from the get/go) insure the mess you're dealing with re Kymco DOES NOT happen with our Zongs. This is a GREAT "test" as to how well thought out our bikes were with the maintainance by owners taken into account from the git go, and also to allow "on the trip & off road repairs, at least easy enough to make t to the next town, etc., where help and parts can be obtained if needed! I'm hoping this is the case, and really feel that may be one aspect that will make the bke the "game changer" the Chinese cycle industry really needs to get the Worlds riders attention! Small breakdowns, (until you have an issue(s) out in the boonies, especially if riding ALONE!!), will rapidly become MAJOR problems if its difficult to work on and or diagnose repairs. It also SHOULD be easy to "patch" up enough to make it back to camp or the area you plan to spend the night at, at a minimum.

I guess we will K N O W soon enough, now:))!! WOO HOOO!! Way to go, JOE (and CSC!):thanks::clap::tup::yay:

SpudRider 02-23-2015 01:55 PM

The Zongshen NC250 (ZS177MM) engine is getting rave reviews from some of the AJP PR5 owners. :)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125

SpudRider 02-23-2015 02:14 PM

According to Hanjin, the berthing date for the Germany at Long Beach has been moved back one day, to March 24.

https://www.hanjin.com/hanjin/CUP_HO...?sessLocale=en

katoranger 02-23-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 180157)
According to Hanjin, the berthing date for the Germany at Long Beach has been moved back one day, to March 24.

https://www.hanjin.com/hanjin/CUP_HO...?sessLocale=en

Are you tracking it progress across the ocean?

SpudRider 02-23-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger (Post 180158)
Are you tracking it progress across the ocean?

Tracking vessels on inland waterways is done with terrestrial receivers located along the river shores. One needs to purchase satellite coverage to track vessels in the ocean far from the mainland. ;) I submitted a request for one, free position location.

katoranger 02-23-2015 02:40 PM

Says that it will arrive on the 6th, but not berth until the 24th. Departing back to China on the 31st of March.

SpudRider 02-23-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger (Post 180161)
Says that it will arrive on the 6th, but not berth until the 24th. Departing back to China on the 31st of March.

Yes, that is correct. :) Please note the schedule indicates it will only take 5 days to sail back to Pusan from Long Beach. ;)

katoranger 02-23-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 180160)
Tracking vessels on inland waterways is done with terrestrial receivers located along the river shores. One needs to purchase satellite coverage to track vessels in the ocean far from the mainland. ;) I submitted a request for one, free position location.

That would be why all those ship tracking sites want you to sign up. Where do you go to submit a free one time location?

SpudRider 02-23-2015 02:54 PM

I submitted my request to the same website I used to track the inland location of the Minben. ;)

https://www.fleetmon.com/en/vessels/...ermany_2153773