ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Venom X22R 250 performance mods (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26256)

Nick Nitro 03-29-2022 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 374849)
Me too lol. I can't seem to find the time to make more videos. I need to install a camera mount on my new helmet and just got my replacement battery for the camera. The weather has finally warmed up here so i need to get busy.

Still waiting for it to warm up here in Northern NY

https://myalbum.com/album/xu2GVxoVkE9eCo/

In other news, just got word my X22R is being delivered on April 8th!

Nick Nitro 04-21-2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 374807)
Thanks for watching my videos. But the newer engine on the X22R was redesign and is already has a larger bore. You can go with a slightly more aggressive cam like this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/17432296267...53.m1438.l2649 For the carb a PE28FL would be a better match and will bolt right up without any adapters. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KXTVTGR...v_ov_lig_dp_it
The PWK30 is a little hard to tune for idle.
This adapter works perfect with the existing header pipe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264345624411

So I have the carb you recommended installed. Currently at a 115 main and 40 slow. Lowest idle RPM I can get is about 4,000 RPM and giving any throttle kills it. What jetting would you recommend? I have a lot of jets available but i was thinking a 120 and 38? Any help is greatly appreciated.

JerryHawk250 04-21-2022 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nitro (Post 376232)
So I have the carb you recommended installed. Currently at a 115 main and 40 slow. Lowest idle RPM I can get is about 4,000 RPM and giving any throttle kills it. What jetting would you recommend? I have a lot of jets available but i was thinking a 120 and 38? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Check that you have the slide installed the right way and is closed all the way.

Nick Nitro 04-22-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 376242)
Check that you have the slide installed the right way and is closed all the way.

We checked that. All good. At a 130 Main and 32 Slow now with the pod filter on. Best RPM with idle screw and air/fuel mixture screw adjusted with choke turned off is about 4,000 RPM now.

S. O. S. haha

EDIT: Ended sticking with those jets. Best tuning we could get unfortunately. Idle is roughly 3,500 to 4,000 between cold and operating temp. Snappy but smooth, just seems dangerously high for long periods of time.

JerryHawk250 04-23-2022 07:36 AM

It sounds like the slide is not completely shut. Is your cable too short not allowing it to close?

Nick Nitro 04-23-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 376310)
It sounds like the slide is not completely shut. Is your cable too short not allowing it to close?

That’s what I’m starting to think honestly. Gonna start digging into it again here shortly. Gotta get some more coffee in me.

Nick Nitro 04-23-2022 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 376310)

Well, I adjusted the throttle cable.

20-80% throttle is good but not great so the needle clip in position 1 out of 5 seems to still be okay but may need to change.

80-Full throttle is great so the 130 Main seems to still be a good Main to stick with. I do have a 100, 105, 108, 110, 115, 120, 125, 135, and 140 if I need to make any changes but I hope I don’t have to.

Idle-20% throttle cuts out and dies or starts to die so I’m thinking the 32 Pilot is too small. Next sizes up I have are 35, 38, 40, 42, 45, 48, 50, 52, and 55.

I’m beginning to get to the point after a week of messing with it now that I’ll just go back to the stock carb and deal with the struggle of doing only 55mph as my max speed and absolutely terrible acceleration uphill. The jetting and tuning is just driving me nuts, I’ve never had issues like this with a carburetor before whether it was stock or upgraded.

Nick Nitro 04-23-2022 12:05 PM

Went through and tried every single possible combination with the jets I have, the 5 needle clip positions, 1/8 turn adjustments on the idle, and 1/8 turn adjustments on the air/fuel screw. No matter what I do it’s either too lean, too rich, or has a 4,000 to 6,000 RPM idle.

I’m going to have to go back to the stock carb and live with it until I can get my hands on a different carburetor, this Nibbi PE28FL isn’t going to work.

Nick Nitro 04-23-2022 04:25 PM

I apologize for so many updates to this thread.

Came back to it because it was driving me nuts. Ended up going with the clip in the number 2 spot on the needle, a 130 Main, a 32 Pilot, and a lot of tuning. Still bogged until I put the stock exhaust back on. Running smooth now, power comes on quick, revs higher, but my idle is a little high at around 4,000 RPM on cold start then drops to about 2,500 RPM after it’s warmed up.

Probably will have an actual shop fine tune it while I’m on vacation in Arizona in a couple weeks but I can live with it for now. Definitely will need to invest in the oil cooler as well.

JerryHawk250 04-23-2022 04:45 PM

Everything you are discribing are signs of a slide not fully seated at idle. Please confirm that the slide is closed completely at idle. Make sure the slide is not turned 180° . If not the slide will not close completely. You don't know how many on here that have done that. Make sure the cable is fully inserted at the top of the carb. Adjust the cable so I here is some slight slack. The big knob on the side is for idle speed only. It doesn't have anything to do with full mixture. Turn it counterclockwise to lower idle. Until you have it idling at around 1500 rpms you are waisting your time trying to tune your idle mixture. The idle mixture screw will be the smaller screw just to the left of the idle speed screw. This adjust the amount of air and no fuel. The more turns out the leaner it will be.

Nick Nitro 04-24-2022 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 376334)
Everything you are discribing are signs of a slide not fully seated at idle. Please confirm that the slide is closed completely at idle. Make sure the slide is not turned 180° . If not the slide will not close completely. You don't know how many on here that have done that. Make sure the cable is fully inserted at the top of the carb. Adjust the cable so I here is some slight slack. The big knob on the side is for idle speed only. It doesn't have anything to do with full mixture. Turn it counterclockwise to lower idle. Until you have it idling at around 1500 rpms you are waisting your time trying to tune your idle mixture. The idle mixture screw will be the smaller screw just to the left of the idle speed screw. This adjust the amount of air and no fuel. The more turns out the leaner it will be.

That might explain why in the 150 miles I put on it today that near the end of the day it wouldn’t stay running at all unless I kept on the throttle. It got very lean out of nowhere. I’ll dig into after work tomorrow. The slide will only go into the carb one way so it’s definitely not facing the wrong direction.

Nick Nitro 04-26-2022 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 376334)

Well... slide was just a hair off from fully closed. Fixed that. Then swapped from the 32 Pilot to the 40, much better but RPM's were all over the place. Carb boot is torn...

Any idea where to get a couple replacements?

JerryHawk250 04-26-2022 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nitro (Post 376483)
Well... slide was just a hair off from fully closed. Fixed that. Then swapped from the 32 Pilot to the 40, much better but RPM's were all over the place. Carb boot is torn...

Any idea where to get a couple replacements?

Well that would explain a lot. No wonder it was reving up. I think Venom has the solid aluminum intakes to replace the rubber intake. They had issues with them splitting.

Nick Nitro 04-26-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 376494)
Well that would explain a lot. No wonder it was reving up. I think Venom has the solid aluminum intakes to replace the rubber intake. They had issues with them splitting.

I found an aluminum one on Amazon that will be here Friday so I'll be able to finish it then. I also have a 32T sprocket on the way and utilized the measurements in your YouTube video.

Next will be some Dunlop Q3 Plus tires, stock tires don't have enough grip or lean angle for me.

JerryHawk250 04-27-2022 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nitro (Post 376496)
I found an aluminum one on Amazon that will be here Friday so I'll be able to finish it then. I also have a 32T sprocket on the way and utilized the measurements in your YouTube video.

Next will be some Dunlop Q3 Plus tires, stock tires don't have enough grip or lean angle for me.

That 32T sprocket will be too small. I originally installed a 34T and the chain was hitting the hub. The 36T had just enough clearance.

Falkon45 04-27-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nitro (Post 376496)

Why Q3s? How hard are you planning on pushing this bike? Will you be doing track days?.

Nick Nitro 04-27-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falkon45 (Post 376522)
Why Q3s? How hard are you planning on pushing this bike? Will you be doing track days?.

100%, I'm taking it to Grattan in Michigan in August. I should have it built to its absolute limits by then hopefully.

Just want to see what it can do before I swap either a Husqvarna 701, CR500, or GPX FSE450R engine into it over winter. Also planning to gusset the frame, upgrade the suspension, swap to actual Ninja plastics (better quality), and many, many other things.

Nick Nitro 04-27-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 376511)
That 32T sprocket will be too small. I originally installed a 34T and the chain was hitting the hub. The 36T had just enough clearance.

That was a typo on my end, it's a 36T sprocket. :doh:

Falkon45 04-27-2022 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nitro (Post 376545)
100%, I'm taking it to Grattan in Michigan in August. I should have it built to its absolute limits by then hopefully.

Just want to see what it can do before I swap either a Husqvarna 701, CR500, or GPX FSE450R engine into it over winter. Also planning to gusset the frame, upgrade the suspension, swap to actual Ninja plastics (better quality), and many, many other things.

Awesome!! I was planning on going there this summer, as I'm trying to hit all new tracks for myself this year! Even wanted to take my kmp200 out a few times, but it's just too slow for me to feel comfortable.

I hope to see it around out there before it goes to the wayside!

Nick Nitro 05-02-2022 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 376511)

Well I finally got the new boot installed, came to life but was too rich still. Switched to a 38 Slow with the 125 Main, backed out the idle speed screw. Perfect!!

Got some new foot pegs installed today too. Next is the fender eliminator with new sequential signals front and rear and my stealth mirrors.

Joe Schutts 05-17-2022 10:48 AM

Link for stock air filter replacement???

Hi Jerry,

By any chance do you happen to have a link for a air filter replacement that will attach to a stock X22R carb???

Also I just got in a new EGR (at least I think that's what it's called) Universal Block Off Plate but I am unsure about which tubes to disconnect and which ones to leave attached. Do you (by any chance) happen to have (or know of) a Youtube video that shows which tube to disconnect and which ones to leave attached???

Thanks for your help...

Take care and ride safe...

Joe...

:thanks:

JerryHawk250 05-17-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Schutts (Post 377474)
[FONT=VerdanaHi Jerry,[/FONT]

By any chance do you happen to have a link for a air filter replacement that will attach to a stock X22R carb???

Also I just got in a new EGR (at least I think that's what it's called) Universal Block Off Plate but I am unsure about which tubes to disconnect and which ones to leave attached. Do you (by any chance) happen to have (or know of) a Youtube video that shows which tube to disconnect and which ones to leave attached???

Thanks for your help...

Joe...

I don't have a link to the air filter as I removed the stock air box and installed a pod filter.
Remove all the hoses and plug the brass nipple on the intake manifold.

Joe Schutts 05-18-2022 08:06 AM

Pod Filter???

Hi Jerry,

I should have asked for a Pod Filter suggestion instead of an air filter replacement. Sorry about that. Do you happen to have a link for a recommended Pod filter that will fit unto a STOCK carb???

It's finally gotten warm enough to start riding again. Thank God... Now to just get the mods done...

Joe...

JerryHawk250 05-18-2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Schutts (Post 377527)
Hi Jerry,

I should have asked for a Pod Filter suggestion instead of an air filter replacement. Sorry about that. Do you happen to have a link for a recommended Pod filter that will fit unto a STOCK carb???

It's finally gotten warm enough to start riding again. Thank God... Now to just get the mods done...

Joe...

Any 42mm 2 stage foam pod filter will work. https://www.amazon.com/LIYYDS-Univer...e%2C97&sr=1-51

Joe Schutts 05-18-2022 03:35 PM

Air Pod Filter...

Thanks...

See ya...

Joe Schutts 05-18-2022 03:53 PM

Removing the Air Box???

Hi Jerry,

You said that you removed the Air box???

Doesn't the air box (at least the upper part) make up the base (or the floor) for where the tool pouch sits???

I don't want to remove the air box and then find out that my tool pouch fell out of the compartment because there was no flooring.

JerryHawk250 05-18-2022 03:57 PM

The tool compartment is separate from the Air Box.