ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Templar 250 resource guide (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32177)

Mumen Rider 05-30-2024 09:38 PM

I ran out of cut off wheels for my dremel tool but I have these pliers that managed to get the OEM carb screws out without much fuss even with the red thread lock on the bolts. Engineer PZ-57 Japanese pliers($16 on Amazon, a great alternative if you don't have a dremel tool or don't want to spend the money for this one job). You will need M4-.70x20mm screws to replace the OEM headless bolts.

I could only fit one .5mm shim under the needle and still have the white plastic needle retainer clip into the slide piston.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thumper 06-11-2024 11:19 PM

Lowered-Kickstand fix

5 Attachment(s)
I posted the 5/8" new lower mounting hole on the rear shock (post #59), which drops about 1.75" and if you drop the front forks about a half inch, you get a solid 2" lowering. I also compressed the preload by about 175 pounds (~ half inch @ 350 pounds per inch). This is a NICE way to stiffen and lower the bike moderately.

BUT, the kickstand is too long now. Aussie mentioned that the kickstand had nice thick walls, so I decided that my weak welding skills could be successfully brought to bear :hehe:

I took a ~1.25" section out, below the lower spring mounting post:
Attachment 31575

I set it up pinning it vertically to a red landscaping cinderblock and ground off a section to pin the grounding clamp:
Attachment 31576

A strip of masking tape was good enough to hold it for the first tack weld, then pulled the tape off and finished it off:
Attachment 31577
Attachment 31578

Lovely weld, eh :tup:
In my defense, most of that is slag. It was pretty good underneath the mess :tup:

I filed off the crap and gave it a flat black finish. Done. The bike leans over nicely. You can even park it with the kickstand uphill now. Plenty strong enough.
Attachment 31579
This worked great.

GypsyR 06-12-2024 10:16 AM

I was chicken with mine. Cut 3/4" off first and then about another 3/4".

Mumen Rider 06-18-2024 05:49 PM

FYI: the rear axle nut is 31mm.

Thumper 06-18-2024 07:03 PM

32mm actually. It is the same size as Honda CRF 250/450R

Socket sets don't come with a 31mm socket. Metric wrench sets don't come with a 31mm wrench either. But a 6 point 32mm socket fits well. And coupled with a breaker bar, easy to remove.
A micrometer gets slightly more than 31mm on the axel nut. I guess it is slightly less than 32. Meh... manufacturing imperfection?

Mumen Rider 06-18-2024 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 409616)
32mm actually.

No, it's 31mm. I bought a 31mm socket and it fits perfectly compared to the loose fit of a 32mm.

Nut 31.22mm
31mm socket 31.4mm
32mm socket 32.2mm (ISO/DIN standard: 32.08 - 32.48mm)

If someone uses a 32mm with an impact to loosen it they are going to deform the nut.

Thumper 06-18-2024 10:23 PM

32mm works nicely. A 1-1/4" socket will also work. I use a breaker bar.

Megadan 06-19-2024 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumen Rider (Post 409619)
No, it's 31mm. I bought a 31mm socket and it fits perfectly compared to the loose fit of a 32mm.

Nut 31.22mm
31mm socket 31.4mm
32mm socket 32.2mm (ISO/DIN standard: 32.08 - 32.48mm)

If someone uses a 32mm with an impact to loosen it they are going to deform the nut.

If the nut measures 31.22mm, it is considered to be 32mm nominally by every industrial and automotive measurement standard. Cheap hardware is notorious for being below standards, and often greatly undersized. If a 31mm fits, great, I would use that.

If a 32mm fits, also great, I would use that.

If some standard size fits better than either of them, I would use that.

My point is. Who cares? Use whatever fits the tightest or works. This is like arguing about who got more milk in their glass.

Mumen Rider 06-19-2024 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 409658)
My point is. Who cares? Use whatever fits the tightest or works. This is like arguing about who got more milk in their glass.

Very obviously Thumper cares enough to dispute just about everything I post. :lmao: And then we have you chiming in for no reason at all, so maybe, just maybe take your own advice. :crazy:

Thumper 06-19-2024 11:24 PM

I'm glad the 31mm socket works for you. My 32 works, and I have a 1-1/4" backup that works too. It's just a couple of turns to loosen, tightens easy to, and I like using a breaker bar to make it easy. It's like 55-60 foot pounds. No need to use an impact driver. I don't need to buy a new socket.

Fast_Freddy 06-20-2024 12:02 AM

I used an adjustable wrench because I couldn't find a suitable socket. I think I have a 11/4" socket so if I can find it easily I'll try it next time. Maybe buy the right socket some day.

Megadan 06-20-2024 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumen Rider (Post 409664)
Very obviously Thumper cares enough to dispute just about everything I post. :lmao: And then we have you chiming in for no reason at all, so maybe, just maybe take your own advice. :crazy:

He cares about accurate information. All you seem to care about is being an aarogant narcissistic A-hole.

By the way, anybody can "chime in" on these discussions. It's a publicly open post on a forum. Only a complete idiot would try to dispute a persons argument with THAT level of Rain Mainesque thinking. "You're wrong because you posted facts that made me look stupid, so now I am going to lash out with the worlds worst logical fallacy string ever witnessed."

What advice would I be taking, exactly? To be correct on dimensional measurements? I don't need to, as proven by my post. The who cares part? That's not advice. That's called a "rhetorical question." If you bothered to pay attention in school you would know that, but I guess it should be obvious you didn't by the rest of your replies.

This has become a battle of wits, and you came unarmed. :ohno:

Thumper 06-20-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumen Rider (Post 409028)
I ran out of cut off wheels for my dremel tool but I have these pliers that managed to get the OEM carb screws out without much fuss even with the red thread lock on the bolts. Engineer PZ-57 Japanese pliers($16 on Amazon, a great alternative if you don't have a dremel tool or don't want to spend the money for this one job). You will need M4-.70x20mm screws to replace the OEM headless bolts.

I could only fit one .5mm shim under the needle and still have the white plastic needle retainer clip into the slide piston.

If you look at post #4 on THIS Templar Resource sticky thread, there are links to the carb opening information and rejet information, INCLUDING the correct thread size for the replacement screws. And look at post #5 which has instructions on shimming the needle.

In those shimming instructions, it states that the plastic thing that holds down the needle doesn't fit, BUT THAT THE SPRING HOLDS IT DOWN. So you can put a 1mm or 2mm shim in there. It doesn't matter if the clip doesn't seat all the way down.

I don't dispute everything you say, but redundant information mixed with incorrect, misinformation on the shimming is not welcomed, just clutters up the resource thread and makes it hard for people to find reliable info. If you had read those early posts, you would have learned this before making a fool of yourself.

It's OK, I make a fool of myself periodically. But I delete mistakes. Feel free to delete your mistakes, and I will delete this post as well.

I have a dremel tool. But if I didn't, I would not waste my money on a special pair of pliers. A dremel tool gets used every other week or more often in my garage. They are not cheap, though you can get knock off copies that do a decent job for about twice what your pliers cost. And can you resize your photos before posting them? Try GIMP. Geeeee.

By the way... Your post #59 is just vacuous speculation. In the first few posts in this thread, we tried to say that this thread is for tested, proven solutions and procedures. Feel free to either delete that post, or follow through and validate your speculation and modfiy/fix that post when you have ANSWERS. That post just takes space and clutters up the thread.

And I WILL delete this post after you read it and, hopefully, delete a few posts in the sticky.

GypsyR 06-20-2024 10:02 AM

I'd appreciate it if like a half a dozen or so posts at the tail of this otherwise very helpful resource thread were deleted.
And then this one too. For the record, until a few posts back I never knew or cared what size the axle nut was. I just loosened and tightened it with whatever it was I had that fit. An adjustable wrench would work. I see it as a non-issue.