ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Valve Adjustment Notes (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14833)

rjmorel 06-03-2016 04:53 PM

Willy, I didn't do my first valve check until 2500 on the clock so unless you drastically change your riding style like riding it like a teenager you should be OK

Ron B 06-03-2016 06:52 PM

I guess CSC changed it. my new manual says check/adjust at 500 and then every 5000 from then on.

jbfla 06-03-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron B (Post 219584)
I guess CSC canged it. my new manual says check/adjust at 500 and then every 5000 from then on.

That's what I was led to believe....

...and I ended up with a damaged camshaft and associated parts....

....which would have cost me hundreds of $$$ to repair if not for the kindness of CSC.

I was advised to check the valve clearances every 2,500 miles.

jb

detours 06-03-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron B (Post 219584)
I guess CSC canged it. my new manual says check/adjust at 500 and then every 5000 from then on.

Officially, CSC did change the valve check/adjust intervals to 500, then 5000 thereafter. This was after they took that 5000 mile Western Tour and saw very little valve wear. The new recommendation assumes that you are using the new 0.08 mm gap recommendation (instead of 0.06 mm). If you set a smaller gap, you should check it more frequently.

For myself, I'm going to stick with a 2500 or 3000 mile valve check until I am confident in a longer interval.

madsocial 06-04-2016 08:31 AM

We'll be doing the 500 mile service today. We'll keep you posted on how it goes. We plan on keeping them at .08 setting, if they have even moved.

Hope you guys have a great Saturday! Pics/video coming later.

2LZ 06-04-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madsocial (Post 219657)
We'll be doing the 500 mile service today. We'll keep you posted on how it goes. We plan on keeping them at .08 setting, if they have even moved.

That's what I set mine at, even though the tutorial stated .06. Three of the four valves were at .08 out of factory, so I set the fourth one there also. I only had about 120 miles on it but I wanted to check them out of paranoia since the "jbfla incident".

Good luck, take your time and keep some valium on hand. ;-)

dpl096 06-04-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 219676)
That's what I set mine at, even though the tutorial stated .06. Three of the four valves were at .08 out of factory, so I set the fourth one there also. I only had about 120 miles on it but I wanted to check them out of paranoia since the "jbfla incident".

Good luck, take your time and keep some valium on hand. ;-)

I'm doing mine at 500 but I'm with 2LZ, I believe I'm going to go with .08 ...

detours 06-04-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madsocial (Post 219657)

You'll do fine. Just take it slow and allow plenty of time. Make sure the locknuts are torqued down nice and tight, whether or not you adjust the gap.

jbfla 06-04-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 219679)
......... Make sure the locknuts are torqued down nice and tight.....

How are you able to get a torque wrench on the exhaust valve adjusters?

jb

detours 06-04-2016 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfla (Post 219767)
How are you able to get a torque wrench on the exhaust valve adjusters?

jb

I just meant tighten them up :tup:

madsocial 06-04-2016 10:12 PM

QUICK UPDATE-

Got the job done. I'll post pics in the morning. I'm too damn tired. :zzz: We have to do the damn valve adjustment again tomorrow. Only this time, I know it won't take 5 hours! I kept telling my husband .08mm. Turns out his filler gauges are in INCHES and we ended up setting the valves to .008in!!!!! :wtf: :ohno: :cry:

BE SURE you are doing 'milimeters' ...if you are doin it in "inches" or SAE, be sure it is .003 inches. That equates to .08mm.

Live and learn. Thank God we didn't run the bike long. The tapping was so loud you heard it over the exhaust. :cry:

I bought a newer filler gauge! :tup:

BlackBike 06-04-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madsocial (Post 219787)
QUICK UPDATE-

Got the job done. I'll post pics in the morning. I'm too damn tired. :zzz: We have to do the damn valve adjustment again tomorrow. Only this time, I know it won't take 5 hours! I kept telling my husband .08mm. Turns out his filler gauges are in INCHES and we ended up setting the valves to .008in!!!!! :wtf: :ohno: :cry:

BE SURE you are doing 'milimeters' ...if you are doin it in "inches" or SAE, be sure it is .003 inches. That equates to .08mm.

Live and learn. Thank God we didn't run the bike long. The tapping was so loud you heard it over the exhaust. :cry:

I bought a newer filler gauge! :tup:

Classic....

Practice makes perfect

Lee R 06-11-2016 10:32 PM

I did my second adjustment today (3000 miles on the bike) and all of them were at .03-4mm. I adjusted everything to .08mm and I'll check again at 6000. I'm not confident in the 5000 mile interval just yet. It's back to happy-tappy and just about ready for a 3000 mile ride.

By the way the method of lining up the two cam sprocket markers and the index line make things quite a bit easier and foolproof when setting TDC.

surfndirt 06-12-2016 12:11 PM

Did my first adjustment today at 2000 mi. Intake valves were still .08mm, exhaust weren't bad at .04 and .05, but I got them back to .08.

Fairings, gas tank, took me about 25 minutes. Next most annoying thing was when I was going to take the crank cover off, that dribbled a little oil which was fine...then I opened the front view port and oil gushed out - I quickly closed it. For some reason no one's ever noted this would be an issue. I know it'd be fine with a center stand. I found TDC without the viewport anyway through spark plug hole and a thin screw driver - and obviously the L&R cam chain covers.

Overall it was a lot easier than I expected and would probably take 2-3 hrs next time.

Lee R 06-12-2016 12:39 PM

Nice work on the valve check, you basically just tackled the hardest part of routine maintenance on a bike.

Those exhaust valves would be far easier if that metal bar wasn't right in the way! I wish that had another bolt on the other end you it could be easily removed and out of the way, then the check would be far easier.

I prop the tank up like so to save the trouble of removing it. Run it near empty or you'll get some spillage from the breather tube.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/BW...=w1698-h955-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/58...=w1698-h955-no