ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Help Needed with Front Forks (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18660)

wedooit 04-26-2019 12:23 PM

Thanks for all the info! I have it all book marked and saved! I would like to know if you cleaned the measuring cup before you gave it back to your wife? LOL.....I took one of my wifes measuring cups for measuring weed killer.....was her favorite.....I had to replace it....then I dropped the glass one I had borrowed.....back to the store to get a plastic one. LOL

wheel spinner 04-27-2019 08:34 AM

I changed my fork oil last year and it was very easy to do... I removed the allen screws at the bottom of each fork and drained the oil... the old oil really looked clean... I had alot coming out of my left fork but very little coming out my right fork.... but both looked clean... I replaced the oil with clean ATF fluid... forgot what formula... I believe I put 250mml in each fork.. and it rides nice... never had a problem yet... if you decide to remove the screws from the bottom of the forks, and you can't get the screws to screw back in the forks, use a air ratchet... or a air impact that has adjustable air settings so you don't snap off the head...

Ariel Red Hunter 04-27-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheel spinner (Post 307425)
I changed my fork oil last year and it was very easy to do... I removed the allen screws at the bottom of each fork and drasined the oil... the old oil really looked clean... I had alot coming out of my left fork but very little coming out my right fork.... but both looked clean... I replaced the oil with clean ATF fluid... forgot what formula... I believe I put 250mml in each fork.. and it rides nice... never had a problem yet... if you decide to remove the screws from the bottom of the forks, and you can't get the screws to screw back in the forks, use a air ratchet... or a air impact that has adjustable air settings so you don't ring off the head...

I think he means "wring off the head." in the last sentence...ARH :hmm:

kingofqueenz 04-27-2019 10:55 AM

Dumb question, assuming ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid, any particular brand recommended?

Megadan 04-27-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheel spinner (Post 307425)
I removed the allen screws at the bottom of each fork and drained the oil... the old oil really looked clean... I had alot coming out of my left fork but very little coming out my right fork.... but both looked clean... I replaced the oil with clean ATF fluid... forgot what formula... I believe I put 250mml in each fork.. and it rides nice... never had a problem yet... if you decide to remove the screws from the bottom of the forks, and you can't get the screws to screw back in the forks, use a air ratchet... or a air impact that has adjustable air settings so you don't snap off the head...

OR, just don't remove the allen bolts on the bottom of the fork because they aren't drain bolts and are not intended to be drain bolts. They are the damping rod bolts. Want to drain the forks, remove the fork leg, take off the cap, invert fork, dump out fluid. refill, reverse.

wheel spinner 04-27-2019 05:10 PM

The ATF I used was/is Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF... very good results so far.... make sure you measure good and put the same amount in each fork..

I pulled the screws from the bottom of each fork because my oil was clean... you could see right through it... very clean.... I only had about 2000 miles on it ... and the reason I did change it out is because when I hit a bump... the forks would hit hard... so I change the oil and dumped the forks until no oil came out... I was ready to tear the forks down if I had to... :yay:

pete 04-27-2019 08:01 PM

Why the hell did they ever stop putting the 6mm drain screws in the them..
even my xt660 has a place for them but were never drilled and tapped for the screws..

wheel spinner 04-28-2019 09:35 AM

too easy to remove 2 screws .. drain oil ... replace 2 screws.... and refill... takes how long??? 30 minutes or less... versus removing the forks.. and spending an hour or so on removing the forks... I like to work smarter not harder.... I wish they would bring the screws back... make life easier...

jimwildman 05-07-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedooit (Post 307346)
Thanks for all the info! I have it all book marked and saved! I would like to know if you cleaned the measuring cup before you gave it back to your wife? LOL.....I took one of my wifes measuring cups for measuring weed killer.....was her favorite.....I had to replace it....then I dropped the glass one I had borrowed.....back to the store to get a plastic one. LOL

For $10 you can mess up a bunch of plastic ones and stay on her good side!
https://www.amazon.com/APLANET-Trans...-2-spons&psc=1