ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   The Mystery of the Disappearing Coolant (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15062)

AZRider 08-25-2015 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 190710)
It appears you also have a bad overflow bottle. ;) Thanks for mentioning the vent hole in the bottle cap.

I see you are using RJ's method of filling the overflow bottle. If you don't need to remove the fairing to unscrew the radiator cap, you must have small hands. ;)

This may be a useful tip not just for you, Spud, but for other sausage fingered mechanics: access the radiator cap from under the fairing at the forks, not from the top. Turn the handlebars to one side and there should plenty of room to get at the cap

SpudRider 08-26-2015 12:09 AM

Thanks for sharing the great tip, George! :tup:

woodlandsprite 08-26-2015 11:15 AM

oh thanks for the great tip, George! Even with my lady hands, I can't comfortably get after the radiator cap from the top!

katflap 08-26-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 190661)
Kat,

Does the cap on your coolant overflow bottle snug securely, or does it open when you 'overtighten' it?

Sorry for the delayed reply, spud

my cap is a snug fit but i do get the feeling that it would jump the thread if i really cranked it tight.

I wondered for yours, as a possible temporary fix until you get your new bottle, would be to put a zip tie/ cable tie around the diameter of the cap whilst it is on the bottle then crank the tie nice and tight then finish tightening the cap.

The idea being to prevent the cap from distorting and jumping the thread on the bottle. :)

SpudRider 08-26-2015 01:33 PM

As always, thanks for posting the excellent tip, Kat. :tup:

P.S. I got my laptop and cable for the Delphi EFI diagnostics. I will soon post in you excellent diagnostics thread. :)

Inroads 08-28-2015 08:07 AM

I noticed yesterday after a hot highway run when I parked on the right side a small bit of coolant.My overflow bottle was half full and my water pump was not weeping.I did not see exactly where it was coming from as I had some business but obviously this should have been dumping back into the resovoir.:hmm:

SpudRider 08-28-2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inroads (Post 190951)
I noticed yesterday after a hot highway run when I parked on the right side a small bit of coolant.My overflow bottle was half full and my water pump was not weeping.I did not see exactly where it was coming from as I had some business but obviously this should have been dumping back into the resovoir.:hmm:

Does the cap fit snugly on the coolant overflow bottle?

Inroads 08-31-2015 01:35 PM

My cap fits nice and snug on the overflow bottle.

SpudRider 08-31-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inroads (Post 191261)
My cap fits nice and snug on the overflow bottle.

:hmm:

It will interesting to see if it happens again. Are all the radiator hoses tight?

Inroads 08-31-2015 08:58 PM

I was adding some coolant and I ended up replacing the short coolant line between the radiator and the coolant bottle.Mine is easily crushed and it was actually a bit short and the diameter on top of the coolant bottle inlet is a bit smaller than the radiator inlet.I replaced it with some ridgid fuel line.I noticed when I had the coolant cap off that it has a designed small pin hole in the top:hmm:

SpudRider 09-06-2015 01:11 AM

Ryan sent me a new coolant overflow bottle, with cap. I installed it, and my coolant level has stabilized. :tup:

I'm pretty sure the RX3 is shipped with an air void in the left radiator. I'm also confident most of the coolant I added to the overflow bottle was taken into the system to fill that void. ;) Now that the coolant level has stabilized, I am feeling heat coming off the left radiator. :)

Weldangrind 09-09-2015 12:11 AM

I hope that is the long term solution.

detours 09-09-2015 12:28 AM

I've checked my coolant level a couple of times since this thread began and filled the overflow bottle each time. There was air in the right radiator when I first did my valves and I think I don't doubt there was at least the same amount of air in the left side too. I should check the level again and see if it has stabilized.

SpudRider 09-09-2015 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 191789)
I hope that is the long term solution.

Everything continues to look good. :tup: When the engine is cold, the coolant level is at the 'low' marking. When the engine is hot, the coolant level is at the 'high' marking. :)

SpudRider 09-09-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 191795)
I've checked my coolant level a couple of times since this thread began and filled the overflow bottle each time. There was air in the right radiator when I first did my valves and I think I don't doubt there was at least the same amount of air in the left side too. I should check the level again and see if it has stabilized.

Good for you. :) Keep adding coolant, as needed, and the coolant level will finally stabilize. ;)