ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Registration Issues (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   USA Registration...State by State Issues. (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=376)

Boatguy 03-30-2023 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 392705)
Jimmy, it's pretty easy getting these Chinese bike register in Louisiana. I use Geico for insurance. I did all my bikes online. If for some reason the bike doesn't show up in there system, all you need to do is call them and they will enter it manually. I've insured my Hawk back in 2016, Venom X22R, Venom Ghost and most recently The Lifan KPX 250. On the KPX i had to call them as it was the first one to be registered and insured in the US. Took a couple of minute with the lady on the phone and was insured.

If you are buying from Venom Motorsports they will send all the proper paperwork with the bike so you can register the same day.

that’s a really cool distinction! You had the first one!

I had the 5th Mini Cooper. I was living in New York City so I needed a pretty small car. Probably the only person to have ever made a profit on a new car. I sold it for more than I bought it for years later.

Porkrider 05-04-2023 05:46 PM

Templar X250 licensed in Washington State

I just got my new Templar X250 licensed in Washington State. No hassle what so ever. Bill of sale and Notorized MSO from XPRO was all that was needed. Both documents showed it as a "MOTORCYCLE".

angeldraco 01-07-2024 10:43 PM

apollo db 36

has anyone successfully registered and apollo db 36 in NJ, im getting SD plated but i wanna transfer them to Jersey im not even sure if its possible ev i read says no but some say yes i dont get it. i just mailed everything to SD hopefully they dont give me problems i have the apollo db 36 deluxe headlight blinkers mirrors the whole thing

Joshua2012001 01-08-2024 12:25 AM

Have anyone registered the 2023 Templar X in the state of GA? My tag office is requiring that the Vin# has to be registered in the NHTSA as I saw someone talking about it in a post here long time ago. I saw someone saying that they got their Hawk registered but that it was a back and forth type of thing. I have the bike already insured with progressive since I did it before going to the tag office but I couldn’t find any feedbacks and any law that requires the state of GA to have the Vin # loaded into the NHTSA so I bought the bike and now I have this problem. I’m trying to find a solution to this problem cause I really will like to have this bike street legal even if it is a OHV. I was thinking on going to FL and register the bike there, get the title and everything in my brothers name and than go to the Tag office in GA and try to transfer it to my name but I dont know if whenever I try to transfer the motorcycle back to my name in GA they will give me the same crap with this NHTSA. Its there anyone that can help me or give me some directions with this manner? It will be very much appreciated.

kyle 01-29-2024 05:56 PM

That's why I created a registration concerns page on tbr7.com. Every state, and every jurisdiction is a little different and it helps to find the right information quickly. I feel like we should create something similar for all bikes where people can input what they had to do to get their bikes properly titled: https://tbr7.com/registrations/

panzer77 03-12-2024 04:28 PM

State of Utah

Utah title and registration. In my case, the MSO stated "Motorcycle" and I purchased the Templar X from PSM. The state DMV website states if you purchase from a dealer out of state you will need form TC-661 Certificate of Inspection to verify the VIN. The state also states if it's classified as ORV and you want a license for on-road use you will need to have a safety inspection done. I did both at a local inspection station for $20. Just in case it was in their system as a dirtbike or ORV. At the DMV, they have difficulty finding the manufacturer in the system but she told me they had a method to add one on the fly. They eventually found it but didn't have the model number listed. She was able to add the model on-the-fly. She mentioned the safety inspection wasn't necessary as the MSO was listed as a motorcycle. Tax, title, and license were a little over $300 (no tax on the shipping charge, just the sales price).

Form link TC-661: https://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-661.pdf

Thumper 03-12-2024 05:37 PM

Utah registration posted on this site

This is crazy. New motorcycles don't need inspection in any State that I know of when you have 0 miles and the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) with VIN printed on it in hand, and a bill of sale/invoice.

You should not need an inspection to title and register a new motorcycle when you have the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. VIN verification may be required for out of State vehicles if they are used (Missouri does require this for used vehicles). People have registered new crate bikes in Utah without inspection.

Here are a couple of them:

https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...TAH#post302519

https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...highlight=UTAH
(within)

GypsyR 03-12-2024 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 405513)
This is crazy. New motorcycles don't need inspection in any State that I know of when you have 0 miles and the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) with VIN printed on it in hand, and a bill of sale/invoice.

Ummm..."She mentioned the safety inspection wasn't necessary as the MSO was listed as a motorcycle." I read it as he got it inspected just in case.

Thumper 03-12-2024 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyR (Post 405515)
Ummm..."She mentioned the safety inspection wasn't necessary as the MSO was listed as a motorcycle." I read it as he got it inspected just in case.

Oh. I clearly missed that. But the thing about TC-661 is just not true. Used, yes, but NEW with Motorcycle Certificate of Origin (MCO, which all Templars come with), No, not needed:

"The state DMV website states if you purchase from a dealer out of state you will need form TC-661 Certificate of Inspection to verify the VIN"

This only applies to used vehicles. I am sure of it.

Glad panzer77 was successful though.

Mikd 03-13-2024 08:35 AM

Looks like NJ is a no go for registering a Templar, the manufacturer isn't listed in thier database and powersportsmax isn't interested in contacting them to have the name added. My buddy is going through an online registration process through an LLC in Montana. Fingers crossed it all works.

panzer77 03-13-2024 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 405516)
Oh. I clearly missed that. But the thing about TC-661 is just not true. Used, yes, but NEW with Motorcycle Certificate of Origin (MCO, which all Templars come with), No, not needed:

"The state DMV website states if you purchase from a dealer out of state you will need form TC-661 Certificate of Inspection to verify the VIN"

This only applies to used vehicles. I am sure of it.

Glad panzer77 was successful though.

If you read the first line of the TC-661 it states: Units registered in the State of Utah for the first time (except new units sold by licensed and bonded Utah dealers) must be inspected to verify the vehicle/hull identification number. The safety inspection was not necessary. Both were only $20 so I got it while at the inspection station to avoid a possible 2nd trip to the DMV.

Thumper 03-13-2024 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panzer77 (Post 405542)
If you read the first line of the TC-661 it states: Units registered in the State of Utah for the first time (except new units sold by licensed and bonded Utah dealers) must be inspected to verify the vehicle/hull identification number. The safety inspection was not necessary. Both were only $20 so I got it while at the inspection station to avoid a possible 2nd trip to the DMV.

No one likes to be turned away at DMV! That is still crazy since you have an original MCO and Invoice/Bill of Sale walking in. THe MCO is from the manufacturer! You covered that base, wisely.

But based on this post, it may depend on which office you go to. I am not surprised that he got away without the TC form. Some license bureaus are sticklers, others not so:
https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...TAH#post302519

I am not sure what "come and match the VIN" means, but it sounds like the parking lot at the DMV office. It does not sounds like he took it to State Police inspection station beforehand.

Aussie_in_MO 03-13-2024 11:57 AM

I covered my backside the same way when I registered the Templar X here in MO. Went and got a safety inspection "just in case" because my MCO said Off-Road Motorcycle.
I'd rather take a couple of minutes to visit my favorite sketchy inspection station than wait in line at the DMV and then have to go back again another day because the clerk was having a bad day.

Thumper 03-13-2024 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie_in_MO (Post 405549)
I covered my backside the same way when I registered the Templar X here in MO. Went and got a safety inspection "just in case" because my MCO said Off-Road Motorcycle.
I'd rather take a couple of minutes to visit my favorite sketchy inspection station than wait in line at the DMV and then have to go back again another day because the clerk was having a bad day.

You must have the State safety inspection if your MCO has "Off-road Motorcycle" in the vehicle type field. I bought two Templars, and had to request a revised MCO from PSM to correct it to "Motorcycle". I registered/plated both (and my Storm) without VIN verification or saftery inspection. Geico insured them. All three were crate bikes shipped from a Dallas suburb.

I think PSM sell more ATVs and pit bikes than bikes with all lights/mirrors/horn... I think some MCO get printed wrong by mistake. They've been great about correcting it for our Templar crowd, and a few Hawk buyers as well.

I am working on adding lights/horn/mirrors to my KTM so I can ride it on the road when I plate it. I am waiting for a title search because the dealer in Minnesota accepted it as a trade in and PO never titled it. My DMV sez it has a "skipped assignment" ! I have the original MCO from KTM North America with multiple assignments on the back. It definitely sez motorcycle for "body type" and should not need safety inspection. I got the ID/OD (VIN verification) at an inspection station since it is technically "used" with less than 1 hour on the hour meter, and from out of State. We will see.

Missouri no longer requires safety inspection on vehicles with less than 150k miles. So I don't need safety inspection when I renew registration on the Storm or the Templar in Missouri.

Aussie_in_MO 03-13-2024 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 405554)
You must have the State safety inspection if your MCO has "Off-road Motorcycle" in the vehicle type field.

Even that depends on the clerk. The one I worked with didn't even look at the safety inspection and said "oh, you don't need that because the bike is brand new" and she didn't care what the MCO said in the "type" field. As always with the DMV, your mileage may vary!
Hope things work out smoothly on your KTM

GypsyR 03-13-2024 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikd (Post 405535)
Looks like NJ is a no go for registering a Templar, the manufacturer isn't listed in thier database and powersportsmax isn't interested in contacting them to have the name added. .

Took me a couple of tries to get "Zuma" added to the South Carolina manufacturer database. You just have to find the right person at the DMV who can and will make it happen. And OMG good luck with that.