ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Vulcan S 650 or Vulcan 900 Custom? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=29840)

JerryHawk250 11-05-2021 08:40 AM

You can get the reduced reach handle bars for free if you need them. Foot pegs can be moved back. I also found a mid peg conversion kit as well. The dealer ordered the extended reach seat for me. All i have to do is swap seats when it comes in. It's basically a one size fits all type of bike with all the adjustments you can make. The person that thought of this concept was a genius.

herbie 11-05-2021 09:26 AM

I looked at my local dealer and he has one left, looks like it has a feature called ergo fit, multiple configuration for comfort. Kawasaki is ahead of the game, I may have to go pay them a visit.

JerryHawk250 11-05-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 368630)
I looked at my local dealer and he has one left, looks like it has a feature called ergo fit, multiple configuration for comfort. Kawasaki is ahead of the game, I may have to go pay them a visit.

You do know realize that if you ride it you will be coming home with it. lol I picked mine up for $7000 before TT&L. MSRP is about $8100.

herbie 11-05-2021 09:46 AM

I know the engine already has me on the hook, I love that parallel twin. I really like the street fighter look, the only issue for me is the comfort of the bike. Thanks Jerry now I have to deal with my wife! :lmao: I can hear it now, you just bought a motorcycle a couple of months ago! Do you have any spare rooms :lmao::lmao:

JerryHawk250 11-05-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 368632)
I know the engine already has me on the hook, I love that parallel twin. I really like the street fighter look, the only issue for me is the comfort of the bike. Thanks Jerry now I have to deal with my wife! :lmao: I can hear it now, you just bought a motorcycle a couple of months ago! Do you have any spare rooms :lmao::lmao:

:lmao: Just tell her you're having issues with the old bike and need something new.

herbie 11-05-2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 368633)
:lmao: Just tell her you're having issues with the old bike and need something new.

I’ve tried that one already :lmao:

I guess it’s always easier to ask for forgiveness, she can’t kick me out I have 20 boxes of vinyl plank flooring in the living room and carpet torn out. Perfect timing :tup:

JerryHawk250 11-05-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 368634)
I’ve tried that one already :lmao:

I guess it’s always easier to ask for forgiveness, she can’t kick me out I have 20 boxes of vinyl plank flooring in the living room and carpet torn out. Perfect timing :tup:

You better hurry up and go get the bike before you finish the floors. :lmao:

herbie 11-05-2021 10:30 AM

:lmao: :tup:

JerryHawk250 11-07-2021 05:19 PM

Just a little update video. I took about a 3 hour ride today. My crash back s should be here Wednesday.
https://youtu.be/abM90xhDbNA

wheelbender6 11-07-2021 08:23 PM

Great looking bike, Jerry. It would have been right at home at the LoneStar Rally on Galveston Island today and yesterday. Mostly Harleys, but the Metric Cruisers are well represented here.
Your Vulcan looks much better than the earlier Vulcan 500s. They were plenty fast, with a Ninja 500 engine, but the styling left a little to be desired.

JerryHawk250 11-07-2021 08:37 PM

Thanks. :tup: I've been getting lots of compliments on the bike. It was strange that most people didn't know about or seen the Vulcan s. I'm really liking this bike even more every time I ride it. I spent about 3 hours in the saddle today. I would have no problem taking this one on a long trip. Once I get the extended reach seat it will be even better.

JerryHawk250 11-11-2021 07:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed the crash bars last night. Easy 30 minute project. More bling is on it's way. Stay tuned. :hehe:

Megadan 11-13-2021 01:31 AM

The bling and accessories are always the best part of a new bike to me. I was just as excited to buy my Corbin seat or my Throttlemeister bar ends as I was the VFR itself lol. Congrats on the new sled Jerry. It's nice being able to do highway speeds AND be able to pass people at a pace faster than a glacier.

herbie 11-16-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 368873)
I installed the crash bars last night. Easy 30 minute project. More bling is on it's way. Stay tuned. :hehe:

You’re giving this girl the works! :clap:

Looking good Jerry!

herbie 11-16-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 368993)
The bling and accessories are always the best part of a new bike to me. I was just as excited to buy my Corbin seat or my Throttlemeister bar ends as I was the VFR itself lol. Congrats on the new sled Jerry. It's nice being able to do highway speeds AND be able to pass people at a pace faster than a glacier.

I agree Dan, I spend way too much on the bling as I’m sure we all do but boy it’s fun while it lasts! :lmao::clap:

JerryHawk250 11-16-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 369104)
You’re giving this girl the works! :clap:

Looking good Jerry!

And more bling on the way. :D I finally got my new brain bucket last night. I can't let her look better than i do. :lmao:

herbie 11-16-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 369106)
And more bling on the way. :D I finally got my new brain bucket last night. I can't let her look better than i do. :lmao:

Wouldn’t take too much :p:p

Bad herbie, bad herbie :lmao:

JerryHawk250 11-22-2021 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took her out for a 117 mile ride on Sunday. I'm loving this bike more every time I ride but afraid this bike is gong to get me in trouble. :hehe: I was on a long stretch of road yesterday and decided to just nail it. This is on a road through the middle of the swamp with no shoulders or side roads for anyone to pull out in front of you or police to park. ;) Before I knew it I was hitting 103mph, then backed off. What a rush. :D

I finally did my first oil change @ 571 miles. Who ever install the filter from the factory must of superglued it on. I could not remove it with any of the filter wrenches I had. All it would do was slip. I ended up driving a screw driver through the filter and was able to remove it that way. Oil i drained from the engine still looked good and clean but the oil that came out the filter was nice and sparkly . Lots of metal shaving from milling in there. At least i know the filter was doing its job.

I averaged a 54.2 mpg yesterday.

herbie 11-23-2021 04:43 AM

I just winterized my bike last Sunday. :hmm:

Crazy how your MPG is pretty close to the Hawk considering all those extra ponies in the Vulcan! I'm glad your enjoying the new ride.

JerryHawk250 11-23-2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 369370)
I just winterized my bike last Sunday. :hmm:

Crazy how your MPG is pretty close to the Hawk considering all those extra ponies in the Vulcan! I'm glad your enjoying the new ride.

Winterized??? What's that? lol I winterized my bike too on Sunday. Fresh oil so i can ride all winter. :p

herbie 11-23-2021 02:22 PM

Must be nice! Lol

JerryHawk250 11-30-2021 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed the radiator guard over the holidays between rides. We had perfect weather for a change and enjoyed every minute of it. I got my 43 tooth rear sprocket in yesterday so I'll install that over the weekend. That should bring the rpms down a little on the interstate and at the same time correct the speedometer. I also have a bunch of bling items that should be in sometime this week.

JerryHawk250 12-06-2021 08:04 AM

I've been putting on the miles on the new bike. Just a few miles short of 900. I swapped out to a 43 tooth rear sprocket on Saturday in hoping of correcting the speedometer. Well the good and bad of it is that it makes the bike feel so much smoother and just about eliminated the low speed twitchy throttle although I pretty much got used to that anyway. The bad news is that it didn't correct the speed, in fact it didn't change it at all. Well come to find out, the speed sensor is no longer located at the front sprocket any more. Now it's integrated into the ABS sensor at the rear wheel. SO, I guess I'll be buying a universal SpeedoDRD unit to calibrate the speedometer since they don't make a plug and play unit. Since I'll have to cut and splice the sending unit wire anyway, I'll pick up one cheap on Ebay. They normally sell for $70 but you can usually pick up on over stock plug and play units for odd ball bikes from anywhere from $45-$60 and just cut the plugs off and hard wire. The last one I bought for $47 for the Ghost. It was for an older Honda and had the correct adapter. I just had to swap two wires and it worked.

Well looks like the bikes will be parked for the rest of this week because of rain. I think i got enough riding over the weekend to hold me through. :hehe:

2LZ 12-06-2021 04:27 PM

How far is it off? The usual 5 mph or so?
I just ride by Kentucky Windage and call it good.
Funny thing also. We have three of those CHP trailers parked around here that are supposed to tell you how fast you're going. None of them are the same!

JerryHawk250 12-06-2021 04:33 PM

it's anywhere from 3-5 mph off. The faster i go, the farther off it gets. I would like to have it a little closer. I hate doing math while trying to relax riding. :lmao:

herbie 12-08-2021 01:21 PM

Nah, just leave it that way when you get pulled over you can blame the Speedo for being off, I’m sure the police will let you slide on the technicality :lmao:
Just kiddin, I hate it when the speedo is off too

JerryHawk250 12-08-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 369946)
Nah, just leave it that way when you get pulled over you can blame the Speedo for being off, I’m sure the police will let you slide on the technicality :lmao:
Just kiddin, I hate it when the speedo is off too

Well I found out something interesting today. I was going to order the SpeedoDRD on ebay. Just for the heck of it i went to Aliexpress and did a search for a speedometer calibrator. Low and behold I found what looks to be identical to the SpeedoDRD for $45. Even the instructions were the same. Makes me wonder if this is where SpeddoDRD gets them from then prints made in the USA on the instruction sheet. :ohno: So in the true Chinariders spirit I ordered one and will wait the extra time and save a few buck. lol
They also make them for other brand bikes as well. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...57de4c4dUA5EOO

Amateur 12-17-2021 07:54 PM

I ran here to vote for the S. Great choice.

That motor will make 80hp fairly easily. JE makes 13.5:1 pistons for it. There are a few 700cc kits out there.

JerryHawk250 12-22-2021 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my new exhaust from AliExpress got rejected going through China Customs. All because of some brand label on the muffler. The seller will resend out without the label. Customs claimed it was some kind of copy right infringement. Geezz! , I thought everything from China was a clone of something. :lmao: Oh well, just another delay.

I did get my front fender guard in today. At least i'll have something to keep me occupied for about 2 minutes.

Amateur 12-27-2021 01:23 AM

Ok

Why a cheap Chinese exhaust on a brand new Kawasaki?

You will lose power.

JerryHawk250 12-27-2021 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateur (Post 370550)
Ok

Why a cheap Chinese exhaust on a brand new Kawasaki?

You will lose power.

What does the price of exhaust have to do with it? :hmm:
So what you are telling me is if I have two identical size exhaust pipe, the more expensive one will perform better??
Price or where it comes from has nothing to do with performance. It's how you tune the exhaust with tunable baffles for the right amount of back pressure. Probably 80% of the aftermarket exhaust system in the US are imported from China and are rebranded and marked up 500 to 1000%.

Amateur 12-27-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 370551)
What does the price of exhaust have to do with it? :hmm:
So what you are telling me is if I have two identical size exhaust pipe, the more expensive one will perform better??
Price or where it comes from has nothing to do with performance. It's how you tune the exhaust with tunable baffles for the right amount of back pressure. Probably 80% of the aftermarket exhaust system in the US are imported from China and are rebranded and marked up 500 to 1000%.

That's why you buy the 20% that aren't rebranded, that are actually worth the money.
I've been a factory certified Kawasaki technician for 15 years. I know more about these particular engines than you will ever know. You're going to lose power.

Amateur 12-27-2021 09:33 AM

China pipe on that engine is embarrassing.

Here.

https://www.twobros.com/pages/about-us

JerryHawk250 12-27-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateur (Post 370568)
That's why you buy the 20% that aren't rebranded, that are actually worth the money.
I've been a factory certified Kawasaki technician for 15 years. I know more about these particular engines than you will ever know. You're going to lose power.

LOL, So you got a piece of paper to hang on the wall. I'll take my 45 plus years of actual real life experience working and building engines. I've been involved in just about every form of racing since the age of 14. This include boat, cars, trucks, three wheelers and yes, even top fuel.

As stated before. Why not help people on here instead of cutting down and knocking everyone? No need to strut and bulge your chest to make yourself look good.

JerryHawk250 12-27-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateur (Post 370569)
China pipe on that engine is embarrassing.

Here.

https://www.twobros.com/pages/about-us

The only thing that is embarrassing is your attitude.

My point exactly, Why should i pay $800 for $100 worth of parts. I'm not building a race bike. I just want to get rid of the Sewing machine sound. I don't need loud, ear busting exhaust. 102 dB @ 2000 rpm, No thanks.

herbie 12-28-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 370575)
The only thing that is embarrassing is your attitude.
My point exactly, Why should i pay $800 for $100 worth of parts. I'm not building a race bike. I just want to get rid of the Sewing machine sound. I don't need loud, ear busting exhaust.

Come on Jerry you aren’t getting any younger, us older guys kinda like the sewing machine sound, especially when you got a lightning rod under you ready to pull the front end up at your beckoning call. :p:lmao:

JerryHawk250 12-28-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 370621)
Come on Jerry you aren’t getting any younger, us older guys kinda like the sewing machine sound, especially when you got a lightning rod under you ready to pull the front end up at your beckoning call. :p:lmao:

Yeah, I like the quiet but this thing sounds like the spaceship on the Jetsons. :lmao: I still want it quiet but do like a little rumble. ;)
I got just over 1100 miles on her already. It's been in the 60's in the morning and reaching the 80's since last week. I would be riding it all week but we have rain till New Years.

herbie 12-28-2021 09:36 AM

Yeah it’s been unseasonably warm for us up north too. I almost broke out the DR but I had too much to do unfortunately. I always thought when you got older you would have MORE time on your hands.:hmm:

JerryHawk250 12-28-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 370624)
Yeah it’s been unseasonably warm for us up north too. I almost broke out the DR but I had too much to do unfortunately. I always thought when you got older you would have MORE time on your hands.:hmm:

You need to put your foot down and take time to ride. That's my only relief from stress I have. I find when I take my bike to work and back, I'm less stressed by the time I get home.

herbie 12-28-2021 11:14 AM

Boy Jerry, we could be brothers! I’m exactly the same way, if I didn’t have my riding time I would probably go nuts. That’s why I hate winter