ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Registration Issues (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   States with Confirmed Hawk Registration (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17919)

kc40437 08-20-2018 06:31 PM

Successful transfer in KY!!!

I purchased a used Hawk in TN and had no problem getting it licensed in KY. I had to get an inspection on the bike, but the whole ordeal took a total of 30 minutes.

Thanks.

FunkyChina 09-14-2018 03:58 PM

No problems in Iowa (IA)

JerryHawk250 09-14-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyChina (Post 290595)
No problems in Iowa (IA)

Got it. :tup:

Kah55inaz 09-26-2018 02:41 AM

Az registered and licensed my basan.

TMG2026 03-22-2019 06:06 PM

I saw Massachusetts on the a list of states that would register a Hawk 250 but not sure if it's up to date. Trying to decide between the Hawk or CSC TT250. Would be happy with either but with the price difference the Hawk is preferred.

WR417H_508 04-23-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMG2026 (Post 303778)
I saw Massachusetts on the a list of states that would register a Hawk 250 but not sure if it's up to date. Trying to decide between the Hawk or CSC TT250. Would be happy with either but with the price difference the Hawk is preferred.

Did you end up with the hawk? Was it still an easy process like the guys had in MA?

Duggo 04-27-2019 12:21 AM

Colorado is a maybe

I called my DMV today and they said "they think" a Hawk 250 is street legal. Without a VIN number, they couldn't say for sure.

Of course, their database didn't list that manufacturer, but she looked at something similar.

Nice lady, but I don't think she knows anything.

If someone can get me a VIN number, I could make sure. I'm not buying unless I know I can ride on the street. I plan on riding to work and back on nice days.

JamieAnn 04-27-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DugHawk (Post 307406)
I called my DMV today and they said "they think" a Hawk 250 is street legal. Without a VIN number, they couldn't say for sure.

Of course, their database didn't that manufacturer, but she looked at something similar.

Nice lady, but I don't think she knows anything.

If someone can get me a VIN number, I could make sure. I'm not buying unless I know I can ride on the street. I plan on riding to work and back on nice days.

BF and I want 2 of the same bikes to make repairs easy, but we're not buying unless we know we can ride on the street too.
I contacted one of the sellers, this is what they sent me: L0WHDN106J1000926

I haven't had time to go to the DMV to check myself so let me know!

Duggo 04-27-2019 07:14 PM

I called USAA/Progressive about insurance with the VIN you gave me and they said liability insurance is fine, but can't get full coverage. That's positive at least.

Ill run that VIN by DMV Monday and see what they have to say.

I'm still not sure enough to buy the Hawk. At this point, I'm going with the CSC TT250, if I buy anything. The whole point was to spend $1500 and if it blows up in a year or 2, no problem. I'm already $1000 over that I haven't even bought a helmet. I might just scrap the whole idea.

I had no idea that the issue was going to be plates. I've been reading all day and so far, 1 guy got plates and 2 did not. The 1 who did had to run a 2 month marathon of forms, paperwork, and waiting.

At the very minimum, the Hawk tires are NOT DOT compliant. So, if everything goes smooth, you still have to put some new tires on to make it legal.

JerryHawk250 04-27-2019 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure were you got that information but the stock hawk tires are DOT approved.

Duggo 04-28-2019 04:18 PM

After days of research, I think I found my answer and I would put Colorado in the NOT Legal category. Yes, with enough forms, you might be able to get it plated, but it's not easy and it's about getting lucky.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...quirements.pdf

As of 2017, this bulletin says that without FMVSS paperwork, the answer is no. The Hawk doesn't have FMVSS or NHTSA labels.

I'm still going to run a VIN by DMV tomorrow, but I'm not going to risk it. My whole purpose of buying would be a commuter bike.

Now I have to change my username too. S&^%E#!

Duggo 05-04-2019 09:03 PM

Does anyone have a Bashan VIN number that I could run through the gauntlet? Ive been told the Bashan models are plateable, but this whole thing has been shakey.

holden 05-23-2019 03:17 PM

tbr7 reg. in Ct. Any one have a problem? Thanks 2019 tbr7

bloverby 05-31-2019 10:08 PM

Got my new Hawk 250 registered in Virginia today. Thought I had read on this forum that the make was going to be Haos in the Va DMV site but the clerk said it had to match what was on the MSO which was RPS, no issues though as RPS was in their system. Only need a state inspection sticker now and I should be good to go on the street.

Just wanted to thank the forum for the info. Don't think I would've bought the Hawk if I hadn't seen others registering them succesfully on here.

NzBrakelathes 06-01-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 309993)
tbr7 reg. in Ct. Any one have a problem? Thanks 2019 tbr7

Check with motocheez he’s in CT and think he has a CT tag on his TBR7 but Hawk I think Vermont

JamieAnn 07-27-2019 11:16 AM

Got a used Hawk 250 in Kansas, guy selling it said the insurance company had a harder time finding it than the dmv. He had no problem with getting plates on it. he even got full coverage insurance on it once they found it.
We had no problems transferring it to Illinois.
Still looking for a 2nd Hawk, or a Magician.

luke1968c10 11-12-2019 11:20 AM

I just got my Hawk tagged in Kentucky

You can add Kentucky to the list. I had no problem getting my bike tagged in Ky.

They had to do a sheriff inspection of the VIN because it came from out of state.

Now for some warm weather so I can actually ride it lol.

Yor 12-04-2019 12:32 AM

Tagingmy new 2019 EFI Hawk in Colorado

Has any one been successful in taging their hawk in ColoradoI called DMV befor buying my hawk from Q9 Powersports. And was told all I needed was Certificate of Origen and bill of sale. I explained I was buying an Enduror Hawk from China and wanted to register it for the road. She assured me it was all ok

Well that is not what I was told today when I tried to register it with cert of Origen and bill of sale. Now they want a EPA cert and a NADER cert as well.

Please help with advice on how to het it registered

JerryHawk250 12-04-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yor (Post 324772)
Has any one been successful in taging their hawk in ColoradoI called DMV befor buying my hawk from Q9 Powersports. And was told all I needed was Certificate of Origen and bill of sale. I explained I was buying an Enduror Hawk from China and wanted to register it for the road. She assured me it was all ok

Well that is not what I was told today when I tried to register it with cert of Origen and bill of sale. Now they want a EPA cert and a NADER cert as well.

Please help with advice on how to het it registered

You should have no problem tagging the Hawk DXL unless you're in California. The Hawk DXL has both Certifications. There should be a tag on the engine or somewhere on the frame with that information. Just take a picture of it and bring with you.

Yor 12-10-2019 07:54 PM

Got my Temp tag in Colorado for my Hawk

I want back to DMV with the pics of the epa sticker and the Highway saftey plate, which by the way was on the VIN plate. The lady I got this time. Did not need or use that stuff that the first lady said she wanted. The second lady said they woukd just register it as a Non conforming and that means that you make an apointment with the state pilice to verify the vin plate and then go back to DMV with thier certification and they issue you the full registration

So I got the apointment this comming monday and got the temp tags

So as I pointed out when you want to register in Colorado tell them it needs to be done as a Non Conforming VIN.

The first lady that gave me the run around was trying to register it as an UnConventional vehical. Dont let them run this on you. Simply go to the DMV and tell them yiu need to register an NonConforming VIN motorcycle. Rhat will get them in the right area of thier computer system

I will confirm monday afternoon. But looks like Colorado will be able to be put in the can register with Vin Verification. Which by the way is a $50 fee

culcune 12-15-2019 10:19 AM

You must be the first person with a DLX in Colorado. Not sure what the hassle is there, because I am fairly certain that CO is not one of the handful of states that try to use California's stringent CARB certification in addition the the federal EPA. In other words, the DLX is certified as a 49-state EPA/DOT legal 'on-highway motorcycle' (Californians need not apply). You will be the pioneer for others in Colorado purchasing the DLX. I know I am curious to know how the Hawk's fuel-injection functions in the higher elevations vs. a carb.

justinmix 04-28-2020 02:09 PM

Just got my hawk 250 dual sport last week. This is my first post here but I've gotten a lot of info off this site so thank you. Just wanted to post my registration experience. I'm in North Carolina by the way. I called state farm and they were actually able to find the vehicle off the VIN number which surprised me. Insurance through State farm was $5.41 a month. Took the MCO, proof of insurance, and bill of sale in to NC DMV. They didn't give me any issues and cost me $141 after tax, tag and title work. Was in and out in a breeze!

JerryHawk250 04-28-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinmix (Post 335338)
Just got my hawk 250 dual sport last week. This is my first post here but I've gotten a lot of info off this site so thank you. Just wanted to post my registration experience. I'm in North Carolina by the way. I called state farm and they were actually able to find the vehicle off the VIN number which surprised me. Insurance through State farm was $5.41 a month. Took the MCO, proof of insurance, and bill of sale in to NC DMV. They didn't give me any issues and cost me $141 after tax, tag and title work. Was in and out in a breeze!

:tup: Welcome aboard and glad to see all went smooth for you.

My007 05-06-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinmix (Post 335338)

Thats great! congratulations I ordered mine. waiting for it. any tips on setup will be helpful. did you order the 2 years motor warranty.?

aaw611 07-20-2020 12:48 AM

Arkansas

Registration was a peice of cake in Arkansas. I brought in the mso and bill of sale to the revenue office. I wasn't even asked to show my proof of insurance and I didn't have to pay sales tax! Also, my personal property tax value for the bike is $0, so I shouldn't have to pay taxes every year. Pretty great! 15 bucks later, I have tags.

f15sim 07-20-2020 11:10 AM

You lucky so and so! :D The tags for my 2020 Hawk DLX EFI cost me ~$122 in Washington State. The process was painless though. In and out of the licensing office in around 15 minutes.

g.

Seatonda 08-31-2020 08:18 PM

NC passed again today. 2020 Hawk.
They told me 2017 and up is passable bcuz the Vin shows “motorcycle” instead of dirt bike like years previous.
So 2017-up is passable in NC

Padams1qz 09-06-2020 02:53 PM

No problem registering in Florida.

JEC249 09-14-2020 01:12 PM

Just got my tag today in Calhoun County MS...painless no problem

Atimm693 09-17-2020 02:39 PM

You can add Missouri.

Need the MCO and an ID/OD inspection from any motorcycle inspection station.

JasonOnTheRez 09-18-2020 09:35 PM

Please ad Mississippi to the list of accepted states for a Hawk DLX

JasonOnTheRez 09-18-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEC249 (Post 346302)
Just got my tag today in Calhoun County MS...painless no problem

I am in Ridgeland MS, and my friend is in Madison/Starkville. We both have the Hawk DLX

culcune 09-19-2020 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonOnTheRez (Post 346531)
Please ad Mississippi to the list of accepted states for a Hawk DLX

There shouldn't be an issue with the Hawk DLX; it's the carbed Hawk 250 that is the issue in some states. I explained it in your introduction post. Once again, congrats on your new ride!

Hbadger1970 09-21-2020 11:54 AM

I was able to get my hawk registered in Vermont. I had sent in all the required paperwork, mco, bill of sale, application and fees etc. They returned the mco and told me they don't title vehicles under 300cc. so i'm just waiting for the plates which they said were on the way. can't wait to legally drive it. I bought the hawk because of watching Motocheez, i've done a bunch of upgrades so far and it's running great. this site is awesome, tons of info and answers to questions. Keep up the good work.

DeCoY 10-14-2020 11:59 PM

Well I bought my Hawk 250 (Not DLX) about a month ago. Was just told today at the DMV that it's "Not street legal" and will need to go the "Unconventional vehicle" route. I THINK they need two different stickers on the bike but I have no idea where to find them on the bike. Any info on this is really appreciated.

(I'm in Colorado by the way)

culcune 10-15-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeCoY (Post 347573)
Well I bought my Hawk 250 (Not DLX) about a month ago. Was just told today at the DMV that it's "Not street legal" and will need to go the "Unconventional vehicle" route. I THINK they need two different stickers on the bike but I have no idea where to find them on the bike. Any info on this is really appreciated.

(I'm in Colorado by the way)

You won't find the stickers. They are for street-legal motorcycles, which the Hawk 250 is not. I try to warn people in CO to NOT buy the regular Hawk (but I have heard of the 'unconventional route' which might take months if not a year from what I recall someone from CO discussing, so there might be hope). The Hawk 250 is certified by the EPA as an 'Offroad dirtbike' (vs. the DLX which is EPA/DOT certified as an 'On-highway motorcycle'). The MCO does come with 'Motorcycle' (vs. 'Dirtbike) written on it which might pass muster in some states to get it registered and street plated, but I have seen a few members from CO who researched getting Hawks plated, and I don't ever recall anyone having done so there. It might take a lot less than a year or even 1/2 year, so don't quote me on that. I guess you will be the Guinea pig. Since the bike does come with all street equipment, you have major conversion stuff out of the way already. It might be fairly streamlined. Keep us in the loop!

DeCoY 10-16-2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 347596)
You won't find the stickers. They are for street-legal motorcycles, which the Hawk 250 is not. I try to warn people in CO to NOT buy the regular Hawk (but I have heard of the 'unconventional route' which might take months if not a year from what I recall someone from CO discussing, so there might be hope). The Hawk 250 is certified by the EPA as an 'Offroad dirtbike' (vs. the DLX which is EPA/DOT certified as an 'On-highway motorcycle'). The MCO does come with 'Motorcycle' (vs. 'Dirtbike) written on it which might pass muster in some states to get it registered and street plated, but I have seen a few members from CO who researched getting Hawks plated, and I don't ever recall anyone having done so there. It might take a lot less than a year or even 1/2 year, so don't quote me on that. I guess you will be the Guinea pig. Since the bike does come with all street equipment, you have major conversion stuff out of the way already. It might be fairly streamlined. Keep us in the loop!

After further research, I do think you are right, and it will be damn near impossible to plate this bike with Colorado DMV, which really stinks. However, I sent all my documents and filled out forms to South Dakota today, and was assured on the phone that plating it wont be a problem. If Colorado doesn't want my money, I guess SD gets it. Hopefully it all goes through without a hitch, I'll let you know! :)

Joe Schutts 10-18-2020 10:44 PM

Help getting TAG's for a Venom X22R...

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about buying a Venom X22R here in PA. My question is has ANYONE gotten TAG's and been able to get it REGISTERED (HERE IN PA)???

If so HOW DID YOU DO IT??? OR WHERE DID YOU GO???

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter...

Take care...

:thanks:
Joe...

DeCoY 10-19-2020 06:45 PM

UPDATE: My Hawk 250 (Carb version) Will be street legal in Colorado! (Technically)

Got the call today from the South Dakota dept of revenue! They took my tax payment of $100 and advised that my new South Dakota Motorcycle plates will be in the mail tomorrow morning, with the new title coming in 4-6 weeks! Colorado wanted me to jump through a bunch of impossible hoops just for the right to pay them, so I went to a state who was happy to take my money! Not only that, but the customer service person I spoke very pleasant and helpful, the total opposite of what I've experienced in Denver.

I think it's safe to say these bikes can for SURE be registered in SD, with this being a "workaround" for states like Colorado.

If you would like to know what county I went to in SD, please shoot me a PM for the contact info, it's a small town and I don't want them to get overloaded.

culcune 10-20-2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Schutts (Post 347750)
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about buying a Venom X22R here in PA. My question is has ANYONE gotten TAG's and been able to get it REGISTERED (HERE IN PA)???

If so HOW DID YOU DO IT??? OR WHERE DID YOU GO???

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter...

Take care...

:thanks:
Joe...

As Jerryhawk (our resident X22 expert) and others can attest, Venom are straight shooters to deal with, so will steer you in the right direction as far as their X22 getting registered in PA goes. The bike is technically 49 state EPA/DOT certified as an 'On-Highway Motorcycle'('49 state' generally means Californians need not apply as it is not certified by CARB) BUT I have seen some prominent online retailers lately state something along the lines of, 'This bike not legal for sale in California, NJ, and PA'. That being said, I have seen members discuss bikes not CARB certified that they were originally rejected by PA DMVs getting registered via off-site registration places. But, Venom probably won't send you the bike if PA will give that bike a hard time, so it would be best to call them first.