ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Venom X22R 250 performance mods (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26256)

JerryHawk250 06-01-2020 12:29 PM

I got a feeling that the 125 will probably be to small as well. I'll just keep bumping it up until i get it right. I have my A/F gauge ready to hook up and wire for the mig to weld in a bung. Just have to find the time to install it.

We have to keep a eye on the gulf for the next few days. Looks like we got some tropical weather heading our way.

JerryHawk250 06-02-2020 08:04 AM

Well this is a first for me on the X22R. On my way home from work yesterday i came to an intersection. From a rolling start i nailed it and pulled the front wheel off the ground. :wtf: I'm like "no way"! First light i get to i tried it again and what do you know. I did it again. :yay: I'm getting more impressed with the new mods everyday. I took a chance today and took the bike to work. I got my rain suit packed just in case. lol
I didn't get to check the plug when i got home because i got side tracked by the wife. I had to fix a flat tire. So, i'll check it today when i get home to see if i can up the main jet some more.

JerryHawk250 06-02-2020 01:57 PM

Well i did it, I just ordered a 4* offset flywheel key. :D I'll have to get my carb dialed in pretty good before i install it though. On to the next stage of performance gain. :yay:

Biker_Andy 06-02-2020 04:42 PM

How much lighter are you thinking of going with? Do you plan on keeping the clutch stock?

JerryHawk250 06-02-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker_Andy (Post 339497)
How much lighter are you thinking of going with? Do you plan on keeping the clutch stock?

I'm not going with a lighter flywheel if that's what you mean and plan on keeping the stock clutch. The clutch on this bike is way better than on my Hawk. The clutch pull is much harder than the hawk. I haven't pulled the clutch cover off yet but it probably has either more springs or stronger springs.
The offset key will advance the timing 4 degrees. The timing on these bikes are retarded for crappy fuel.

Megadan 06-05-2020 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 339499)
I'm not going with a lighter flywheel if that's what you mean and plan on keeping the stock clutch. The clutch on this bike is way better than on my Hawk. The clutch pull is much harder than the hawk. I haven't pulled the clutch cover off yet but it probably has either more springs or stronger springs.
The offset key will advance the timing 4 degrees. The timing on these bikes are retarded for crappy fuel.

The Hawk has 7 discs and 6 springs. That actually makes for quite a lot of clamping power without needing to resort to a high spring rates. It might just be an issue of leverage. The hawk has a long arm at the case which gives better leverage but more throw travel.

bogieboy 06-06-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 339499)

on the clutch pull issue, i found my clutch on my Roketa to be very stiff, but i had put in heavy duty springs, my clutch is silky smooth now that i converted to a hydraulic clutch... you may want to look into that... :tup:

i got a set of these (but in blue) one of these (again, Blue) and one of these( oh look... blue...LOL bet that was a shocker... )

JerryHawk250 06-08-2020 08:00 AM

Well i had to cancel the original offset key order. As of Friday it was not shipped. I contacted the seller and was told it would be two weeks before he could ship. >: So i found another supplier and will have it by this Friday. I know what i'll be doing on Saturday morning. :yay:

I'm sure i could of made my own key. Once i have this one in hand i'll probably make one for the Hawk. ;)

As far as the clutch on my bike, it's not stiff or hard to pull. But you can tell it has a stronger clutch grip than the Hawk. As Megadan stated the clutch arm on the Hawk is much longer than on the X22R. I'll have to look for a shorter arm for the Hawk. Clutch play on the X22R is not as critical as it is on the Hawk. I never had any issues with finding neutral on the X22R.

Megadan 06-08-2020 11:09 AM

I am definitely curious about the offset crank key. After playing with a few CDI boxes, I would like to experiment with combining one of them with more base advance

JerryHawk250 06-08-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 340006)
I am definitely curious about the offset crank key. After playing with a few CDI boxes, I would like to experiment with combining one of them with more base advance

I just hope it doesn't make it hard to start with the 11:1 CR. And on the Hawk i might be a little gun shy on kick starting. lol

Megadan 06-08-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 340007)
I just hope it doesn't make it hard to start with the 11:1 CR. And on the Hawk i might be a little gun shy on kick starting. lol

Nah, 4 degrees of advance across the entire curve shouldn't make it hard to start at all.

TiggerOG 06-08-2020 04:47 PM

Ordered the offset key, thin head gasket and a cdi box as well. Gotta save up for my piston now. I figure I'll just do it all at once and discover a whole new bike lmao. I can't decide on the cam to get still so maybe once I nail that down I'll do it all. I dunno yet.

JerryHawk250 06-08-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiggerOG (Post 340046)
Ordered the offset key, thin head gasket and a cdi box as well. Gotta save up for my piston now. I figure I'll just do it all at once and discover a whole new bike lmao. I can't decide on the cam to get still so maybe once I nail that down I'll do it all. I dunno yet.

Cam selection is going to depend on how much power you want out of it or how reliable you want it. I choose the reliability end of it. lol Now if i wanted to see what's the most HP i can get out of it i would use a different cam than i choose.

Megadan 06-09-2020 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 340048)
Cam selection is going to depend on how much power you want out of it or how reliable you want it. I choose the reliability end of it. lol Now if i wanted to see what's the most HP i can get out of it i would use a different cam than i choose.

Also good to keep in mind that the more aggressive that cam grind gets, the more other work may be involved. Much like the CG motors, at a certain amount of lift and duration the valves will start to hit one another so the valve seats will need recessing, the piston to valve clearance may require fly cutting the piston crown more, and valve springs will start to become a concern.

JoeMod 06-10-2020 03:54 PM

Question; where can we get replacement parts for the x22r? Looking to get some to have just in case. Like brake pads, rotors and calipers? Also oil drain plug. I cant find anything. Venom motorsports doesn't have anything in stock. Just trying to get some stuff in the event it fails. TY.

JerryHawk250 06-10-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMod (Post 340261)
Question; where can we get replacement parts for the x22r? Looking to get some to have just in case. Like brake pads, rotors and calipers? Also oil drain plug. I cant find anything. Venom motorsports doesn't have anything in stock. Just trying to get some stuff in the event it fails. TY.

I haven't tried to cross refrence the brake pads but look to be a common pad for the Chinese bikes that can be found on ebay and amazon. I know the rear pads look like the same ones i have on my Hawk. EBC caries every brake pad made. Start on page 300 and match up measurements. That's what i did. Then search that part number on ebay or amazon. https://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalo...l-Catalog.html

Rear Brake pads are EBC - FA086
Front Brake Pads are EBC - FA095.

Venom can get you the Rotors and calibers from DongFang. The question would be if DongFang has them in stock? This site carries parts but looks to be out of stock as well. https://www.vaderparts.com/collectio...a-parts?page=1

JerryHawk250 06-12-2020 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. :D

Chris_Top_Her 06-13-2020 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 340417)
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. :D

what in the potato?

bogieboy 06-13-2020 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her (Post 340452)
what in the potato?

4 degree offset cam key :hehe:

Megadan 06-13-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 340457)
4 degree offset cam key :hehe:

crank key :p

Jerry, since I am too lazy to take my left crankcase cover off again and remove the flywheel to measure the key specs, do you think that key would also work with the CG engine? If so, what is the source and/or specs for it?

JerryHawk250 06-13-2020 02:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I bought the key from Joe Henner on the RBX group Facebook page. I never removed the flywheel on my Hawk so don't know if they are the same. I assume they will be. The stock woodruff key us 4mm wide. It has a .70mm offset. I got it installed and what a difference in power and throttle response. I did shoot some video and will post later on tonight. I'll try to get some ride video tomorrow. O also installed the O2 sensor and A/F ratio gauge. It was running a tad rich but not enough for me to swap out. She's running too good. Lol Here's a few pictures.

JerryHawk250 06-13-2020 08:44 PM

As I promised, Here's the video.
https://youtu.be/eiUDq7bJbYQ

Chrisguga 06-14-2020 07:21 AM

The bike is looking great, Jerry, and thanks for the video! That tubing along the plastics where they meet the gas tank is smart. I need to look into something like that.

JerryHawk250 06-14-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisguga (Post 340520)
The bike is looking great, Jerry, and thanks for the video! That tubing along the plastics where they meet the gas tank is smart. I need to look into something like that.

I made use of all that hose I removed from the SAI delete. :tup:

JerryHawk250 06-17-2020 08:19 AM

I did a little experiment when i got home yesterday. I found that the idle with PE30 carb on the X22R would start to hunt once warmed up and would some time die at idle. So i decided that i would try swapping carbs with the Hawk's PWK30. Well that turned out perfect. Now the bike idles so much smoother and runs just a tad better at WOT. So next i installed the PE30 on the Hawk. She fired right up and idled perfect and WOT ran just as good as the PWK30 did. I think we have a win win situations here. :tup: Even after running them both hard and getting them good and hot, both bikes run perfect now. Jetting was right on for both. Now all i have left to do is hook the remote choke lever up on the X22R, Not that it needs it right now. I'm sure my Hawk enjoyed the experiment as she got taken out of the shed after sitting in there for a few weeks. :lmao:

Joe Schutts 08-24-2020 03:10 AM

Hi Jerry,

I've been watching your videos on the Venom bikes for a while now and I have a couple of questions for you.

1. I saw that you replaced the mirrors on the bike. Do you have the link for the mirrors that you bought??? I've looked and looked but I cannot find the identical mirrors anywhere...

2. I also saw the you replaced the headlights with rectangular LED backup lights... Again, do you have the link for where you bought them???

3. You also mentioned that you changed the LED's in the large headlights... Again, do you have a part number OR a link for where you bought them???

I'm planning on buying a bike shortly and want to have all the parts "On Hand" for when I get it so I can start doing the same MODS as you have.

P.S. I am a PC Tech and saw that you've been having problems with your Memory Cards. I can give you some advice when using them. If your are using a Memory Card in a camera then format the card "In The Camera" and not in a PC... You'll have less problems that way...

Take care and keep up the good work... I can't wait for your next video...

Joe...

JerryHawk250 08-24-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Schutts (Post 345017)
Hi Jerry,

I've been watching your videos on the Venom bikes for a while now and I have a couple of questions for you.

1. I saw that you replaced the mirrors on the bike. Do you have the link for the mirrors that you bought??? I've looked and looked but I cannot find the identical mirrors anywhere...

2. I also saw the you replaced the headlights with rectangular LED backup lights... Again, do you have the link for where you bought them???

3. You also mentioned that you changed the LED's in the large headlights... Again, do you have a part number OR a link for where you bought them???

I'm planning on buying a bike shortly and want to have all the parts "On Hand" for when I get it so I can start doing the same MODS as you have.

P.S. I am a PC Tech and saw that you've been having problems with your Memory Cards. I can give you some advice when using them. If your are using a Memory Card in a camera then format the card "In The Camera" and not in a PC... You'll have less problems that way...

Take care and keep up the good work... I can't wait for your next video...

Joe...

Mirrors https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Daytime running lights. These required a little trimming of the housing to fit. Looks like the are out of the white at the moment. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Head lights. These also required a little trimming of the housing. Other H4 bulbs may fit without trimming. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the memory card, it turned out to be a bad card and just replaced it. No more issues.

Joe Schutts 08-24-2020 07:22 PM

Your Mods...

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the fast reply. I've already gone to the sites you mentioned and have marked them for my future purchases. Thanks again.

Hey, while I have you here... I saw a video (on Youtube) showing someone who printed out a (I believe) Honda Manual that matches the engine in the Venom bike. Supposedly it shows all the torque measurements as well as how to take apart the engine and put it back together again as well as replacement part numbers.

Was that you??? The reason I'm asking is that I cannot find that video and was thinking about printing out the manual but I don't know where to find it. Do you (by any chance) know what the link to the manual is???

Anyway, thanks for the fast reply... Happy riding and safe roads...

Take care...

Joe...

JerryHawk250 08-24-2020 07:32 PM

Hey Joe,
That was I. I have the link bookmarked on my work computer. I'll post a link tomorrow.

Joe Schutts 08-24-2020 10:54 PM

Honda Manual...

Hi Jerry,

Wow, that's great... I wasn't sure if it was you or not and now I can't find the video. You don't know how much of a help you've been to me. I'm really grateful for all your help...

Thanks again...

Joe...

P.S. Do you happen to have any videos on mods to the braking system, such as installing/changing to new brake pads or installing stainless brake lines???

JerryHawk250 08-25-2020 07:20 AM

As promised here's a link to the manual. https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...qMcB6hk7I4PbpG

As far as the brakes on this bike there is no need to mod them. The dual front brakes have 4 pistons each. No problem stopping the bike. I have the brake pads listed in one of my threads.

Joe Schutts 08-27-2020 02:02 AM

Honda Manual

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the site info for the manual. I just downloaded it. But I have another question.

In the manual, it looks like it is discussing the engine for the Hawk 250. My question is, is the same identical engine that is in the Venom X22R???

I just want to be sure what's going on and which is which...

It's kind of funny as I originally had a list of about 5 bikes that I was deciding on between buying.

They were the Hawk 250, the Lifan 200CC bike, the Brozz 250, the Venom X22R, and lastly the Hyosung 250CC. I liked the Hawk for the low price but not the style of the bike as I wanted more of a street bike rather than a dirt bike. The Lifan I liked because it used a counter-balanced engine but then I struck it off my list because it was under powered as I wanted at least a 250CC engine, I liked the Brozz because it was fairly inexpensive but again I didn't like the dirt bike style. The Hyosung 250CC I definitely liked (and still do), but it was out of my price range. In all honesty if I could afford it, this is the bike I would buy.

The Venom X22R is the bike I finally went with. I liked the fact that it had dual front disk brakes (and disk brakes all around) as well as dual headlights (which again, I like). I just kind of wish it had a counter balanced engine. If it had that option then I would jump on this bike in a heart bite.

The only thing that this bike is missing (that I desperately need) is a luggage rack. I'll probably have to design one for myself out of steel and have someone make and weld it for me although I honestly have no idea where to go for this.

Anyway, again thanks for the manual. Thank God I have a Laser Printer so that makes it much easier to print anything out. Now I just have to take the time and print it out... Let the fun begin...

Take care Jerry and clear skies and safe riding...

And watch out for all those idiots out here, it seems like this Covid BS has brought them all out of the woodwork...

Bye for now...

Joe...
:thanks:

JerryHawk250 08-27-2020 07:55 AM

The Hawk is a CG clone which is a push rod engine whereas the X22R is a CB clone which is an over head cam engine. The engine is almost identical to the CRF230F and SL230 engine. I' not saying that all parts are interchangeable but do know that the piston, cylinder and head are identical and are a direct swap. The CB engine is a much better platform for performance mods and is a higher revving engine where as the CG engine is a better engine for off road trail riding. It has more low end grunt. With the mods i've done my bike easily hit 80 mph. The weather hasn't been cooperating so i never had a chance to to a top speed run. The Hawk on the other hand can only hit 75 mph consistently. I have hit 80 once but was a little squirrely at those speeds. The X22R will handle 70+ mph very comfortably. Even at 80 she still handles well. Even the stock engine with the right sprockets, gutted cat and tuned stock carb will do 75 mph. Even though the engine is a non-counter balanced engine it still runs pretty smooth. With the right sprockets to bring down the RPMs at higher speeds make a huge difference. I was looking at the Hyosung GT250 very hard. That's actually a good bike.

Joe Schutts 08-31-2020 03:24 PM

The Hyosung GT250

Hi Jerry,

I agree that the Hyosung GT250 is a good looking bike but again, it's WAY outta my price range. I'm now (officially) retired and have started to pinch my pennies. That's the main reason I'm buying a bike again. I can't afford a new car nor do I want a used POS that someone else ran into the ground and I end up paying for his/her's repairs.

Right now, all I can afford is somewhere around $2500 - $2800 and no more. I also wanted something with dual headlights and dual front disk brakes and at least a 5 speed tranny and some other things as well. After looking and looking again I found the Venom X22R and I settled on that one. I still haven't bought it as of yet as I'm waiting on the next $1200 stimulus check that HOPEFULLY will come out whenever they return from their vacation.

So what's on your plate for your next video. I can't wait to see whatever you've got cooking up in that brain of yours... I just found this other guy on Youtube (don't know his name at the moment) but apparently he's some kind of PC Tech who works with electronics (concerning PC's). He's also rebuilding a $30,000 - $40,000 Flight Simulator (right now anyway) and also just bought a Hawk 250 (not sure of the model though). Apparently he's a big follower of yours and has been doing his Mod's based on your fabulous work with them...

All you need now is your "Teaching Certificate" and you would be all set... Maybe you should consider that for your next life...

Anyway, take care of yourself and try not to work too hard...

I'll see you...

Joe...

P.S. Whenever I get around to buying my Venom I'm going to need some type of luggage rack made for the rear. Any ideas on where I can get one made for it??? It would have to be made out of metal and somewhat similar to the one for the Hawk 250 (maybe a little bigger though)... Thoughts???

Thanks again...

JerryHawk250 09-02-2020 09:09 AM

There are still some new 2016 and 2017 models Hyosung's out there for around $2500. https://www.cycletrader.com/Hyosung/...GD%7C764976977

My next project will probably be the 2020 Venom Ghost 250. All of the engine mods i've done on the X22R will work on the Ghost as well. I may try a different cam and carb.

As far as saddle bags you need to check out some of Chrisguga's threads. He found some nice bags for his X22R.

franque 09-02-2020 09:52 AM

You should get a lopey cam for it so that it'll idle a bit rough and sound like a Harley.

JerryHawk250 09-02-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 345637)
You should get a lopey cam for it so that it'll idle a bit rough and sound like a Harley.

LOL, That was my thinking as well.

JerryHawk250 09-02-2020 11:36 AM

This is the cam and rockers i'm looking at right now. I'm trying to get specs. from the seller.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9fcAA...NH/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xFIAA...My/s-l1600.jpg

Joe Schutts 09-02-2020 05:48 PM

Luggage Rack And Hyosung bikes...

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply.

When I asked about luggage racks I was talking about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Brack...s_id=404675011

Also, I looked at the Cycle Trader site and while they have a fairly good selection of bikes, 90% of them are used with a VERY limited warranty, plus the fact that there aren't any bikes in my state (PA).

Plus the fact that I'd probably have to either take a bus to the bike and then drive it back or have it shipped to me at a great expense. This is something I cannot do, logistically OR financally.

Anyway, again, if you come up with any thoughts I'd be grateful to hear them...

Looking forward to your next videos...

Take care...

Joe...

Joe Schutts 09-03-2020 10:46 PM

Will A Hawk Rack fit???

Hi Jerry,

Hey, I just thought of something.

Is there ANY CHANCE that the luggage rack from a Hawk will fit unto a Venom X22R???

The rear looks similar and I was just wondering if you know/think it'll fit???

Anyway, just a thought...

Take care...

Joe...