ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Oil cooler install (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19024)

JerryHawk250 05-16-2017 02:06 PM

There is one disadvantage to the drain screen cap style. Without a skid plate the oil line does not any kind of protection. I can see that getting ripped off. I guess I better start fabricating a skid plate.

timcosby 05-16-2017 03:23 PM

my shoe and left leg can attest that there is a lot of oil pumping thru the valve cover one!

2LZ 05-16-2017 03:59 PM

Ok folks-with-coolers, I'd like to hear some testimony before I pull the trigger, just for no other reason than because I'm a bling junky and if it's new, and I want it.

Being a wrenchin' type of guy, I know that cooler oil is better oil. That goes without saying. Other than simply knowing that the engine is cooling better (not that it was overheating previously), is there any actual, physical advantages that you've noticed?

Easier neutrals?
Butter-like shifting?
Double the MPG?
15 more HP?
Valve adjustments go from annually to once every five years?

I can see that over the long haul, it may make the engine last a little longer, but we're not messing with a 100 horsepower, multi-cylinder, behemoth here, it's a 15 HP, small single cylinder Hondoid that's virtually a toy. My lawn mower has a bigger motor.

I've taken my Hondoids on long, dusty trail rides in our Nor Cal 100+' weather and have never experienced any issues or failures, without a cooler.

Soooooooooo.........any input is greatly appreciated. Again, it's new and Mrs. 2LZ TT250 may just need one anyway.

JerryHawk250 05-16-2017 04:13 PM

I'm usually the guy that likes to do the before and after testing. After I got over 100 miles on the bike I never had any more issues with finding neutral or shifting. As for as HP I think it adds about 20 hp :hehe: Just kidding. But on the serious side , when I first got my hawk I was going to do a base line dyno run on a friends MC dyno after I put a few miles on it but he ended up closing shop and sold it. I wanted to see how much more power I could get out of it with each mod. I wanted to check oil temps before and after installing the cooler but forgot all about it when I did the install. You know how it is. you get a new mod and want to get it installed right away. So 2LZ we are going to leave that test up to you. ;) One thing I did notice is It didn't burn the crap out of me when my ankle touched the engine block like it did before. It's still hot as hell but didn't leave a blister.

2LZ 05-16-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 256035)
One thing I did notice is It didn't burn the crap out of me when my ankle touched the engine block like it did before. It's still hot as hell but didn't leave a blister.

That's always a bonus!

I haven't been paying much attention to this until today. Does anyone have pics of one of the valve cover type mounted and how do the lines route?

JerryHawk250 05-16-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 256040)
That's always a bonus!

I haven't been paying much attention to this until today. Does anyone have pics of one of the valve cover type mounted and how do the lines route?

Post #128 http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=16941&page=6

Irishjew 05-16-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 256031)
Ok folks-with-coolers, I'd like to hear some testimony before I pull the trigger, just for no other reason than because I'm a bling junky and if it's new, and I want it.

Being a wrenchin' type of guy, I know that cooler oil is better oil. That goes without saying. Other than simply knowing that the engine is cooling better (not that it was overheating previously), is there any actual, physical advantages that you've noticed?

Easier neutrals?
Butter-like shifting?
Double the MPG?
15 more HP?
Valve adjustments go from annually to once every five years?

I can see that over the long haul, it may make the engine last a little longer, but we're not messing with a 100 horsepower, multi-cylinder, behemoth here, it's a 15 HP, small single cylinder Hondoid that's virtually a toy. My lawn mower has a bigger motor.

I've taken my Hondoids on long, dusty trail rides in our Nor Cal 100+' weather and have never experienced any issues or failures, without a cooler.

Soooooooooo.........any input is greatly appreciated. Again, it's new and Mrs. 2LZ TT250 may just need one anyway.

Should be good for an extra 105 horsepower.

JerryHawk250 05-16-2017 05:19 PM

I think Matt (mjstef) has 4 of these kits left for $65 delivered.
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1492574169

Megadan 05-16-2017 06:57 PM

My experience fitting a large oil cooler to an old honda air cooled motor, while not a hawk, resulted in smoother shifting, easier neutrals, and it simply ran better on the same grade of gas, especially if I couldnt put premium in it. It can also equate to better oil longevity. Heat destroys oil.

JerryHawk250 05-17-2017 07:51 AM

I went out and did a quick Youtube video last night. This only the 2nd video I have ever done. As soon as a get a good helmet camera I'll post some videos of some trail riding. I wish I had one this past weekend. I ran across a 12' gator on the trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjP0...wfmeszntw2ns0k

Merlin 05-17-2017 11:44 AM

Very nice bike. Thanks for the video!:tup:

JerryHawk250 05-17-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin (Post 256115)
Very nice bike. Thanks for the video!:tup:

Thanks, I'm still waiting to see your pics. :zzz: Did you notice the bug splatter on the wind shield? works great for deflecting the bugs.

Weldangrind 05-17-2017 11:53 AM

Thanks for the vid!

I can see where a guard to protect the cooler in the event of a low-side crash would be a good idea.

If anyone is considering a cooler installation, I'd be grateful if you could figure out how to measure temperature before and after, like with a HF temp gun.

JerryHawk250 05-17-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 256119)
Thanks for the vid!

I can see where a guard to protect the cooler in the event of a low-side crash would be a good idea.

If anyone is considering a cooler installation, I'd be grateful if you could figure out how to measure temperature before and after, like with a HF temp gun.

I'm looking for a dip stick temperature gauge but the ones I found are in Celsius and not Fahrenheit and the ones I found in Fahrenheit will not fit the hawk. I might just make my own from a meat thermometer and modify the dip stick to fit. I had one years back on my Yamaha Route 66

2LZ 05-17-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 256119)

I just sent my check for a valve cover type cooler to mjstef this morning....and I do have a heat gun!