ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Do we have an 'Official Gripe About Winter Thread' yet? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17893)

FastDoc 12-15-2016 02:09 PM

I'd imagine the snowbird influx in Yuma also causes traffic and a strain on the infrastructure? As well as a revenue influx.

Sullybiker 12-15-2016 03:27 PM

10F this morning in Western PA, my bike sits under its cover.
http://i.imgur.com/LHl4NTt.jpg?1
That's about as cold as it gets here, but usually January sees those lows.

I don't actually mind riding in that so much, I have some heated gear, but the snow melted yesterday and that means ice (you can see a patch in the background), which is a no-go for me.

hertz9753 12-15-2016 04:44 PM

https://youtu.be/pnr3FT7Hi00

That's what it looked like up here 3 years ago on the 1st of December. We have been spoiled for many years with warmer temperatures and not much snow.

FastDoc 12-15-2016 04:47 PM

Copy that.

We had no measurable snow here the past 2-3 years. I was hoping that was the new normal.

culcune 12-15-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastDoc (Post 238057)
I'd imagine the snowbird influx in Yuma also causes traffic and a strain on the infrastructure? As well as a revenue influx.

We are fortunate that the snowbirds tend to 'flock' in area known as the Yuma Foothills about 10 to 15 miles east of the city. They come into the city, but haven't been too bad the past few years. Money does not follow them, but people in your line of work seem to do quite well treating them :lmao: I think that Yuma is affordable for many (top of the heap mentality from many of the snowbirds as to demand that the city and its businesses bow down to them) which answers my questions I had when I first moved here in '04 wondering why they don't go to places like Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, Palm Springs, etc. Because they can't afford it is why! An example of how cheap they are--west of Yuma, the next metropolitan area is El Centro, Calexico, Imperial which are the small city comprising the Imperial Valley. There are virtually no snowbird places there because it seems no one that way wants or needs their pennies :)

FastDoc 12-15-2016 06:57 PM

I bet they are a cash cow for the local doctors as they tend to be old folks to begin with. Then add in spending all day every day all winter sitting in front of an RV in a concrete parking lot eating and drinking something is bound to give out...

I was just visiting the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ to pursue a possible job opportunity but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on it.

We will see after this winter kicks my skinny arse.

pistolclass 12-15-2016 06:59 PM

yeah Doc I agree with your SoCal assessment. I was in San Diego in Sept on business. The weather was perfect. The people were very nice. I expected to get into an argument with some granola eating, earth shoe, tell me how to live Hippy. But that didn't happen. I carried a bar of soap because I figured nothing would chase away a dirty hippy faster than a bar or soap. I could never live there, visiting is good enough.

Although I do envy the 12 month riding season.

culcune 12-15-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 238075)

Although I do envy the 12 month riding season.

It's a double edged sword with all the accidents, unfortunately. Same with L.A.

cheesy 12-15-2016 10:14 PM

Snowing in MinneSNOWta again. I'm just hoping that this is a just a teaser for the storm that's supposed to hit tomorrow afternoon. I need to drop my co-worker off at MSP around noon tomorrow so he can get home. Then hammer on the five hour on a good day drive home for the weekend.

Good thing I'm gettin' outta town, -25F predicted for Saturday.

pistolclass 12-15-2016 10:47 PM

I'm getting cabin fever already and it is only December. Limited Serotonin only goes so far.... I need to ride..... Uhhhg.... who started this thread!!! Poke the bear......

Sullybiker 12-15-2016 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 238096)
I'm getting cabin fever already and it is only December. Limited Serotonin only goes so far.... I need to ride..... Uhhhg.... who started this thread!!! Poke the bear......

I think what makes it worse for me is last December was pretty mild. It was an unbelievable 65F on Christmas eve; I went on a 100 mile ride and saw lots of Harleys out in the sun! Amazing.

This year we're getting hammered by lake-effect weather. It's brutal.

My TT250 is due to arrive next week, too...

2LZ 12-16-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 238076)
It's a double edged sword with all the accidents, unfortunately. Same with L.A.

It's why I live up north. We don't get the perfect So Cal weather year round but I do like the 4 seasons.....and it's loaded with friendly hillbillies.

culcune 12-16-2016 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This meme about sums it up!!

cheesy 12-16-2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 238154)
This meme about sums it up!!

And it was uphill both ways!

hertz9753 12-16-2016 09:13 PM

Up hill both ways and don't forget the two pairs of socks and bread bags inside of your shoes. :hehe: