ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   New left over 2014 CRF250L (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15063)

jct842 08-29-2015 12:49 AM

I'll bet if you were to make up a set of shims out of a coke can that would be just enough to get the expanders tight in your handle bars. Sounds like now they are just short of getting tight. John

Weldangrind 08-29-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyj812 (Post 190997)
I named the beast CeRF, I know I don't get any point for originality there.

Are you saying kerf or surf?

Darkrider 08-29-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyj812 (Post 191014)
I'm considering ordering a 3.1 gallon aftermarket fuel tank. I can't make up my mind. Its a little over a gallon bigger then the factory tank. I'm currently getting between 52 and 78 mpg. On the highway its been between 52 and 55 and putting around the back roads and on the trails I got 78 mpg. The cheapest I have found a tank (natural color) is $209, that's a lot of money just to not have to fill up as often.

However the extended range would probably help pay for the upgrade over time in fuel savings...

andyj812 08-30-2015 07:25 PM

If I get the new tank I'll probably wait until spring. Maybe price will come down or a 4 gallon version will come out by then. I kinda like the stock gas cap that came with the CeRF and I can't use it with an aftermarket but it would be nice not to have to take my gloves off to unlock the tank at the gas station.

andyj812 08-30-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 191075)
Are you saying kerf or surf?

surf. I think I have grown and affection to this bike.

andyj812 08-30-2015 07:41 PM

When I left for work Friday, CeRF started with his stubbornness of not wanting to shift down from 2nd into neutral or first. The for the first and only time it didn't want to shift up from 1rst to 2nd. I stopped at a gas station: 84 mile commute round trip and 2 gallon gas tank. When I left CeRF went right into first and I haven't had a problem since. I think it is finally starting to break in.

Saturday morning I did the 600 mile oil and filter change using Honda 10w30. After 1200 miles I'll probably change the oil and filter again and fill CeRF's belly with Honda synthetic.

I expected to see a loss in in highway gas mileage after installing the windshield which was well worth the money as far as how it performs, but so far I seem to be at 60mpg highway up from 55. This may be due to breaking in though.

Don't take this as bragging so for far this is an amazing bike.

andyj812 08-30-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jct842 (Post 191036)
I'll bet if you were to make up a set of shims out of a coke can that would be just enough to get the expanders tight in your handle bars. Sounds like now they are just short of getting tight. John

That's a good idea, thanks, I might try that.

Louis Angel 08-30-2015 11:26 PM

So pleased to hear it is working out for you. Wow. 600 miles already. That's awesome.
I guess that " 84 mile commute" can pile them on quickly.

andyj812 08-30-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Angel (Post 191213)
So pleased to hear it is working out for you. Wow. 600 miles already. That's awesome.
I guess that " 84 mile commute" can pile them on quickly.

thats 84 miles round trip, this is a really fun bike to ride, i assume yours is very similar

Louis Angel 08-30-2015 11:48 PM

It is awesome around town, and good up through 60 MPH. After 60, seeing 70 becomes iffy depending on incline, head wind, etc.
For my particular needs and the roads I ride on, it is perfect.
Not enough power to get me into trouble (much) but still enough around town to be fun. No where remotely close to as fast off the line as the CB300F was,
but is solid and stable going around the rough pot holed sometimes gravel covered corners in our area. And now when I see a rough looking side road / trail, I can take it!
Again.
:-D

andyj812 09-05-2015 04:35 PM

CeRF has a Rack

2 Attachment(s)
Only took 15 days but the rack I order from Amazon finally came in today. crfsonly.com had it for $35 cheaper but I had already ordered it when I saw it on their websight. Not much to say about it, its well made and sturdy. I have no complaint (except waiting 15 days for it).

andyj812 09-05-2015 04:44 PM

I will hit 1000 miles on CeRF on the way home tonight. No major complaints, it has plenty of power in my opinion. I can't think of any real cons to say about it. I am thinking about some handlebar risers so that I can stand more comfortably on it. I'm not sure if the windshield brackets will work with handlebar risers but I'm sure I can make them work. I'm considering an aluminum set of handlebars as well but really have no complaints about the stock bars. The engine runs very smooth and I don't notice any vibration in the stock and I doubt that there is much weight difference between the stock and aluminum bars, but if I order some risers, I may change them out while I have the clamps off. I can then tap the aluminum bars to bolt my handguards in place, Currenty the have stayed put even thought the bar ends are not tight.

I usually ride my bicycles a lot (9 bicycles in my bike stable) but a foot injury and "Will" and now CeRF have kept my off them since spring. I usually rack up a couple thousand miles pedaling a year but this year I have less than 500, Now the my feet seem to have healed I need to get back on them an loose some of the weight I've gained being off them. lol

andyj812 09-05-2015 06:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also have "Will's" top case ($35 with shipping on ebay) that I wll eventually be putting on it. It's easily removable but the mounting plate has pegs that stick up about 3/4" that make it hard to use just the rack. I may cut a piece of plywood a drill holes over in it to put over the plate when using just the rack.

andyj812 09-05-2015 08:21 PM

For the 2nd day in a row there is a pop up storm that wasn't in the forcast. Luckily It stopped raining before the commute home last night and looks like it will again tonight. Having no rain gear except the "rain fly" the came with my riding jacket, I ordered this from amazon to keep in my locker at work.http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1000_.jpg

Louis Angel 09-05-2015 10:51 PM

Oooohhhhhhh. Hi Viz too. I like it. When you getting me one?
My birthday is next month ya know. :p

Happy (dry) riding!

PS: Has anyone used Rain-X on their face shield before?
Hope to never hit rain, but was thinking about the Rain-X stuff
just a few weeks back (when I still had the V-Star) and a dark
cloud was too close for comfort.